General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

crown victoria vs maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 09:26 PM

crown victoria vs maxima

just a curiosity...a race between me and my friend...i have a 92 Maxima SE stock, 190 hp auto tranny.....hes gotta 91 ford crown victoria V8 stock.....who would it be?
Old 11-11-2001, 09:29 PM

The 1991 Crown Vic ran 17 sec 1/4s, while the SE ran 16 sec 1/4s, you should be OK.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by medicsonic
The 1991 Crown Vic ran 17 sec 1/4s, while the SE ran 16 sec 1/4s, you should be OK.
Isn't that a little pathetic though...a boat like the crown vic runs 17 and a stock civic runs 16's...

Erik
Old 11-12-2001, 10:11 AM

what do the vics run with police package?

arent they chipped and super charged?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by nodoubt711
what do the vics run with police package?

arent they chipped and super charged?
Yes there chipped, but supercharged?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:57 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Yes there chipped, but supercharged?

No they arent. They have the same power output as "civilian" versions. The only equipment differences are aimed at durability, not perfomance.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

No they arent. They have the same power output as "civilian" versions. The only equipment differences are aimed at durability, not perfomance.
Ok my uncle is a POPO and yes they are chipped, they have suspension modifications, and some other doo-hickies.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Ok my uncle is a POPO and yes they are chipped, they have suspension modifications, and some other doo-hickies.
I stand corrected. According to Ford's website, the Police Interceptor model has 235hp, compared to 215 for the LX with dual exhaust.

Either way, they are still slow as hell.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:55 AM

I stand corrected. According to Ford's website, the Police Interceptor model has 235hp, compared to 215 for the LX with dual exhaust.

Either way, they are still slow as hell.
They have the specs of the Interceptors on the Ford Website!

Isnt that not supposed to be done, since they wouldnt want to reveal what there carrying in them?
Old 11-12-2001, 11:59 AM

well i wish the cop cars around here were that weak. a sheriff approached my friend and his dad the other day about buying their 355 out of my buddy's wrecked firebird. and i just saw a state patrolman in a friggin' z-28 in kansas the other day on my way to k-state! that cop that wanted the motor is also a sheriff around here so maybe they have faster cars? lol who knows...
Old 11-12-2001, 12:34 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

They have the specs of the Interceptors on the Ford Website!

Isnt that not supposed to be done, since they wouldnt want to reveal what there carrying in them?

It's no kind of secret what kind of equipment police have.

It's not like the military.

What good would it do to try to protect the specs of a police spec vehicle or piece of equipment.

It's like the company I work for. We build bullet and blast resistant doors and windows for the government. The specs and our construction methods are in no way secret. The idea is, even if you know what it is and how its made, you cant get through it.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:39 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Here's the link:

Ford Police Vehicles
Old 11-12-2001, 01:00 PM

Here's the link:

Ford Police Vehicles
Very interesting!
Old 11-12-2001, 01:37 PM

Most RMPs can't go much over 130, the lightbars produce significant drag.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:57 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Dont forget the weight of all that equipment..

barrier
fullsize spare
radios
lights
push bar
lots of tools in the trunk
etc...

Your regular patrol car is no speed machine.
Old 11-12-2001, 04:19 PM

I don't think I'd want to go over 130 mph in a crown vic. Scarry

You want to go over 130mph? That's what the choppers are for.
Old 11-12-2001, 04:25 PM

The old mustangs were really fast- the police package 5.0 could go well over 130- and the new camaros that the police have are also fast.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:04 PM

What do the troopers in Alabama drive exlusively. Here in MA, the troops have Caprices/Impalas withe the 5.7 liter Corvette engine. They were purchased about 4 years ago.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:15 PM

i want a crown vic with tined windows, and the black rims... that would be cool having people move out of the way for you, slow down when youre near them, noone would tailgate you or cut you off, and you might not get pulled over for speeding on the highway if the cop thinks youre a cop
Old 11-13-2001, 10:04 AM

Most All State Troopers and Highway Patrolmen have special engine work done once the car is purchased to make it perform better. I don't think that local police and sheriffs do that. They usaully bore the engine out.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:03 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by mateo92GXE
Most All State Troopers and Highway Patrolmen have special engine work done once the car is purchased to make it perform better. I don't think that local police and sheriffs do that. They usaully bore the engine out.
I doubt it.

Deezo, the AL state troopers drive crown vics. But your chances of running into one are pretty slim. AL only has 480 state troopers TOTAL. Divide that by 3 shifts, subtract those doing paper work, those in court etc. Divide that by the number of miles of highway they have to cover in the whole state...you get the idea.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:03 AM

Dont forget the weight of all that equipment..

barrier
fullsize spare
radios
lights
push bar
lots of tools in the trunk
etc...

Your regular patrol car is no speed machine.
You forgot box of doughnuts, and big officer
Old 11-13-2001, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by mateo92GXE
Not exactly. Think of it like this. Police cars cost money. Money for Police cars come from state budgets. There is never enough money for new police cars. Police agencies try to make their cars last as long as possible since replacing them is expensive.

For the above reasons, I somehow doubt that police agencies void the little warranty they have with "special engine work "
Besides, where would the money for the work come from?

Finally, I have several friends who are police officers. They swear that their cars would be lucky to do 120 mph with all of the gear they have in them. (and the doughnuts ) They said that the lightbars on top act like a sail and slow down the car even more.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema

Not exactly. Think of it like this. Police cars cost money. Money for Police cars come from state budgets. There is never enough money for new police cars. Police agencies try to make their cars last as long as possible since replacing them is expensive.

For the above reasons, I somehow doubt that police agencies void the little warranty they have with "special engine work "
Besides, where would the money for the work come from?

Finally, I have several friends who are police officers. They swear that their cars would be lucky to do 120 mph with all of the gear they have in them. (and the doughnuts ) They said that the lightbars on top act like a sail and slow down the car even more.
The money comes from tickets that I pay for, and the fact they can't push 120mph means they can't catch the maxima. Better call in the heli.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:56 PM
OG and counting...

In IL, we are running a mixture of 9C1 Caprices (my fave), Z28s, Mustang GTs, Crown Victorias, Grand Prix GTPs, and those nauseating new Impalas.

If you run on any of the toll roads in Chicago, chances are you will see one of the above in either State Police or Cook County Sheriff trim. But the Chicago Police Department is still running 9C1s and Crown Victorias. I have heard a rumor that they may be getting Intrepids (insert barfing smiley).
Old 11-13-2001, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by PrinzII
In IL, we are running a mixture of 9C1 Caprices (my fave), Z28s, Mustang GTs, Crown Victorias, Grand Prix GTPs, and those nauseating new Impalas.

If you run on any of the toll roads in Chicago, chances are you will see one of the above in either State Police or Cook County Sheriff trim. But the Chicago Police Department is still running 9C1s and Crown Victorias. I have heard a rumor that they may be getting Intrepids (insert barfing smiley).
Where ya been???
Old 11-13-2001, 06:47 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally posted by PrinzII
Northfield (northbrook and glenview) has the worst cops, period. They have nothing to do. My brother got a ticket from one of those arseholes for "Illegal Squealing of Tires". No joke. That's what the ticket said. He was just making a turn and happened to squeal 'em a bit. You all know how easy that is on a '91 maxi with crapp-*** tires, right?

Actually, I was driving behind one of those northfield cops and he has the little badge in the back that says "Police Interceptor", I just thought it was mad cool. Remember Mad Max?

That's a police interceptor:

Old 11-13-2001, 07:46 PM
dko
duck and cover

sorry Brian

I think this is Brian's car. Sorry man, but I could only find this one to photoshop

Old 11-13-2001, 08:28 PM

I go to college in Springfield MA....There is a local performance shop that I went to have my windows tinted at...When I was dropping off my car I pull in and see a really nice Crown Vic....as I look closer it turns out to be an SVT...no lie....before this I didnt know that there was such a thing. Later that day when I went to pick up my car I saw the SVT in the bay getting worked on (fog lights)...had a quick look under the hood and it was so nice....looked like some form of a turbo...but not stock I know that much. After that day I have seen it around town a few times. It is an undercover cop that drives it but no lights on or in it. Must be his fun little toy... Please let me know if any one else has ever seen one or heard of one...
Old 11-13-2001, 09:26 PM
Moe

One of the racing schools (bondurant I think) has/uses them. The school calls them Cobra Vics. No forced induction but still a pretty mean car, when I was buying my Max my second choice was a Crown Vic.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:41 PM

A man in his 40s bought a new BMW and was out driving it at top speed
when
he suddenly saw flashing blue lights behind him.

'There's no way they can catch a BMW,' he thought to himself and sped
up
even more. Then the reality of the situation hit him, 'What the hell am
I
doing?' he thought and pulled over. The traffic cop came up to him,
took his
driving license without a word, and examined it and the car.

'It's been a long day, it is the end of my shift, and it's Friday the
13th.
I don't feel like more paperwork, so if you can give me an excuse for
your
driving that I haven't heard before, you can go.'

The man thinks for a second and says, 'Last week my wife ran off with a
policeman. I was afraid you were trying to give her back.'

'Have a nice weekend,' said the officer.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:04 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Moe
One of the racing schools (bondurant I think) has/uses them. The school calls them Cobra Vics. No forced induction but still a pretty mean car, when I was buying my Max my second choice was a Crown Vic.

Cobra Vic
Old 11-14-2001, 05:41 AM

Cobra Vic
I want one for Christmas! Hate to say it, but if I could get my hands on one of those babies, and the price was the Max... See ya!
Old 11-14-2001, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by black019
when

up
I
took his

13th.
your

Old 11-14-2001, 04:54 PM
ChevSub89

Police Package Crown Victoria

Maybe I can shed a little light on the subject of a police package crown victoria/police interceptor. I have a 1996 Police Package Crown Victoria that I bought from the FBI. In it's service there, underdrive pullies were installed and the shift points reprogrammed. The car will currently do a 0-60 time in about 7.4 seconds, and a 1/4 mile in a hair over 15.5. The car shifts out of 1st at 43, 2nd at 81 and 3rd at 118(this is with Overdrive off...it forceably shifts to 4th at 118 by flashing o/d off light 2 times, then shifting). DaBoxGTi can attest to this, right Clark? The Police package vics do have the same motor as a civilian vic, however, the motor has been chipped, the shift points reprogrammed, engineered to run on 87 octane (mine won't even run with anything over 87...gets 20/24mpg w/ 87 octane), there is no governor or speed limiter. With a few simple modifications totaling about 3 grand, you can turn a police package crown vic into a 14 second or below car...some people I know have done this. By the way, it is all related to the rear gears you have in the car. The current (98-01) cruisers have a 3.55 gear ratio which means fast off the line, slow at top end. The earlier models, such as my 96 have 3.27 gears which means a little slower at start up, but really start moving about 65 miles an hour. The isn't bad for a 5,300 pound car. The 1991 Police package vics had a choice of motors, a 5.0(302) or a high output 5.8(351) I am not sure on the performance figures of those. However, I can say that they are the best handling Fords I have ever driven...even over a mustang if you compare the weight aspect ratio. That is IMHO although. While most cruisers do carry lots of equipment, that is the main reason why the lag in speeds. However, if you remove the equipment in the car, trunk and lightbar from the roof, they are quite capable of getting to 140...I can pretty much guarentee you that, and the car was in was rock steady at a buck thirty. Don't forget the logic though, you may be able to outrun a police car, but you cannot out run his Motorola...

Oh and you guys were talking about the CobraVic? Bondurant has 18 of these babies...

They were built by Rousch Performance and have a heavily modified engine in them coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission (that's right a stick). They have created a lot of interest, so much so that Mercury is coming out with the Marauder.

The Marauder is a variant of the ill fated Ford Blackhawk and will have a modified Mustang Cobra engine pumping out in excess of 300 horse...initial estimates set it at 300, but Ford illudes that the power number is really more like 350 horse. The car is a late successor to the Impala SS. Rumor has it within the police markets that a modified version of the Marauder engine will be included as a "pursuit" option in the '04 Police Package cars when they revamp them. The Marauder will be out in the Spring of 2002 as an '03 model and Mercury expects to produce 15,000 units the first year with most sales being made before the first car comes off the line.

Have I missed anything?

-Dave

Old 11-14-2001, 08:43 PM

Well said Dave. Not to mention traffic disperses when you approach
Old 11-15-2001, 03:04 PM
ChevSub89

Yes I did forget to mention that huh?

Old 11-15-2001, 05:35 PM

yuck, those things are still hidious and have NOTHING on maxes though IMHO
Old 11-15-2001, 06:04 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Our family had 6 crown vics over the years as company cars. The only one I ever drove was the last one, a 1993 model. It was an LX with the towing package which meant dual exhaust (210hp), tranny and PS coolers, and a heavy duty drive shaft.

Even if it wasnt actually fast. Feeling that big car lunge when you gun it at 60 sure FEELS fast.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by black019
when

up
I
took his

13th.
your