General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need help and info on transfering title

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Need help and info on transfering title

Sparknotes at bottom of post.

Long story--I'll try and shorten it.

December 12, I moved from PA to NY. I took my car. Everything (registration, insurance, title) is under my mother's husband's name (I refuse to call him my stepfather).
December 13, I parked my car in front of my friend's house (about 1/4 mile away from my house). I walked home that night. The next morning, I find my car parked in front of my driveway. Everything was taken (plates, insurance, registration, maintenance records, inspection stickers, etc).

I want my title, and my mother's husband is playing games at first. After a few days, he says he can't find the title and he will look for it on his own time. He finds it, and than tells me he will mail it on his own time. The next time we spoke, he tells me that he read through it carefully, and it has to be notarized. The next time we spoke (today), he tells me he went to a notary, and both the buyer and seller must be present.

I am getting very upset and impatient. I've taken my car up and down the block a couple of times, and I do not dare take it past that.

I will be putting everything under my uncle's name. Do I have to drag him to PA to get the title? Or is there an easier, more practical way to doing it?

If you read that, thanks. I kind of needed a place to vent. I am very agitated at the fact that I can't drive my Max because of my retarded mother and her husband.

Sparknotes:
How do I transfer a PA title to NY?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 AM

I did a title change from PA to NY somes years ago. All he needs to do is sign that he sold it. You can then put in whatever name you want as the owner. He can just mail it to you. The new owner miust be a licensed driver in that state You also need to put the mileage and what it cost to buy the car. That's because they want to charge you the tax for whatever you paid.

Here is where the problem starts. If it has always been yours then you obviously don't want to pay the tax for it. If you go to PA and work with a notary then he can change the title into your name or your uncles if that's who you want. You can probably change the title and only say you paid a dollar for the car. This will take a few days. Then you take that PA title which is now in the correct name and do your stuff in NY.

Basically the problem is all around tax for the state.

Hope that helps in some way.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by fflint_18
I did a title change from PA to NY somes years ago. All he needs to do is sign that he sold it. You can then put in whatever name you want as the owner. He can just mail it to you. The new owner miust be a licensed driver in that state You also need to put the mileage and what it cost to buy the car. That's because they want to charge you the tax for whatever you paid.

Here is where the problem starts. If it has always been yours then you obviously don't want to pay the tax for it. If you go to PA and work with a notary then he can change the title into your name or your uncles if that's who you want. You can probably change the title and only say you paid a dollar for the car. This will take a few days. Then you take that PA title which is now in the correct name and do your stuff in NY.

Basically the problem is all around tax for the state.

Hope that helps in some way.
My mother's husband was telling me that it has to be notarized. He was being difficult. So can he just sign the back and send it to me?
When you said 'All he needs to do is sign that he sold it', what do you mean?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM

If he is the owner all he has top do is sign the back as the seller. You or whoever will be the owner fills in the owner info along with the purchase oprice and the mileage.

They will make you pay the taxes on what you put down that you paid for the car. But they are looking foir realistic numbers. So you can't just say $1.

I think that you can show that it was a gift from a relative. They may even have a form for it at the NY DMV. You might be able to check online. If you can find the foirm anfd send it to him he can fill in and say he is a uncle, stepdad, whatever and that he is selling it for $1.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your mothers husband is correct. Any title change in or out of PA is a PITA. Within the state it's pretty straight forward. Things get a bit more involved when a state transfer happens, you can thank PA for that!