General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone Challenge a M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone Challenge a M3

Hey anyone with a supercharger challenge a M3 to a highway race?
The DTM folks are talking a whole lotta stuff.

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/showth...?threadid=3022

Old 11-16-2001, 03:58 PM

My next car will be an M3 with SMGII package. Hopefully by next Spring..

I checked that forum you posted and then checked that guys car and I do not think that is an M3.
I say this because he states the following:

1) 0-60mph in 6.4sec...that is slow. The 2001 M3 is listed as 4.7 seconds in most major car publications. I know the car that kid has is an E36 which were slower than the current E46 models, but 6.4 sounds way too slow.

2) 1/4 mile in 15.1sec. This sounds way too slow. New M3s run in the low 13's

3) I know the current M3 only comes in Coupes not Sedan's. I am not sure about the E36 model.

I think a Supercharged Max could take this kids car but a REAL 2001 M3 would smoke a Max with a SC. I think that kid just bought the emblems trying to make his car look like a M3.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:12 PM

and by the way..in my opinion the 4th and 5th generation maximas are much better looking than the old (E36) 3 Series. Those old 3 series (1998 and older) are fokking really ugly. BUT the new model is beautiful. And I believe the M3 (E46) is the best sports car dollar for dollar. A little more expensive than a vette (coupe not Z06) but just as fast and MUCH more luxurious.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:56 PM

that guy has a 98 Max and it's AUTO. that's why the slow 0-60 times. I'm thinking SC MAX manual would take him pretty easily if MAX manual is 6.6 0-60. That's for 4th gen. 5th gen should as well, I would think.

Probably not an Auto SC MAX, then again, I'm just spouting off....
Old 11-16-2001, 05:49 PM

I raced an asian guy in an m3 once. he won, but at the next red light, he opened his windows and told me he was impressed with the fact that I was able to keep up. He asked what I had and smiled while nodding his head. We became pretty good friends. He is now in my car club.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by barrett58
and by the way..in my opinion the 4th and 5th generation maximas are much better looking than the old (E36) 3 Series. Those old 3 series (1998 and older) are fokking really ugly. BUT the new model is beautiful. And I believe the M3 (E46) is the best sports car dollar for dollar. A little more expensive than a vette (coupe not Z06) but just as fast and MUCH more luxurious.
If anything the E36 M3 was a better sports car. It handled better, weighed less and didn't overdo it w/ electronics. I drove one for a week and a half and it was the best handling car I've ever driven. It had plenty of power and perfect balance. Floor it into a turn and it would drift smoothly through the arc.

As for them being ugly, I'd pick almost any E36 over a Maxima in terms of looks. For example, here's a pic of Shadow's car back in the day next to my friend's M3. Notice the compact and relatively sleek lines compared to Shadow's huge and bulbus 4th Gen. Of course we're talking stock vs. stock here but modified, an E36 can be very nice. Now the new E46 M3 has that goofy looking vent on the side which looks relatively out of place and 3 more mufflers than an inline 6 needs. Of course, the 5th Gen Max is even more bulbus and the tail lights are just plain ugly.

In my opinion, the E46 doesn't have the same level of performance as the Corvette and since most new M3's are running close to Z06 prices, I'd probably pick the Z06 unless I wanted a sedan version. The last M3 was all about balance and handling while the new one is about packing as much technology and power into a compact luxury car as possible w/ as much badging and trim to distinguish it from lower 3 series.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:34 PM

Z06 is ridiculous

Opinions vary...but the 2002 Z06 is one serious piece of machinery. In Car and Driver this month they timed the Z06 0-60 in 4.0 flat!!! That is only 0.1 slower than the 911 Turbo. But the Corvette is lacking in the interior. Too plasicy is the common complaint. I don't know why Chevy doesn't juice up the interior with some nice trim or wood. But the new M3 (in my opinion) is a perfect balance of speed, luxury and value (when compared to a CLK or Jaguar).
Old 11-16-2001, 07:39 PM

Could someone show them these please

SuperCharged Max
Old 11-16-2001, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Could someone show them these please

SuperCharged Max
hey remember, all japanese car = rice to them
that board is worst than honda boards
Old 11-16-2001, 08:45 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by Mishap
If anything the E36 M3 was a better sports car. It handled better, weighed less and didn't overdo it w/ electronics. I drove one for a week and a half and it was the best handling car I've ever driven. It had plenty of power and perfect balance. Floor it into a turn and it would drift smoothly through the arc.

As for them being ugly, I'd pick almost any E36 over a Maxima in terms of looks. For example, here's a pic of Shadow's car back in the day next to my friend's M3. Notice the compact and relatively sleek lines compared to Shadow's huge and bulbus 4th Gen. Of course we're talking stock vs. stock here but modified, an E36 can be very nice. Now the new E46 M3 has that goofy looking vent on the side which looks relatively out of place and 3 more mufflers than an inline 6 needs. Of course, the 5th Gen Max is even more bulbus and the tail lights are just plain ugly.
No, say it ain't so! You're just a hater!
I happen to agree with you...the looks of the M3 (especially that vent!) are enough of a turn-off to swing me towards the 330.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:00 PM

Hey, M3 are nice cars and those guys over there can talk all the **** that they want, but what it come down to is that they paid twice as much for a car that is only marginally quicker then our cars. So f*ck them.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:13 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by JUDE
Hey, M3 are nice cars and those guys over there can talk all the **** that they want, but what it come down to is that they paid twice as much for a car that is only marginally quicker then our cars. So f*ck them.
Quicker, is that all?
What it comes down to is that you get what you pay for.

damnit...here I go again!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by JUDE
best hp for the buck is firebirds/cameros/mustangs, not maximas.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:20 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Z06 is ridiculous

Opinions vary...but the 2002 Z06 is one serious piece of machinery. In Car and Driver this month they timed the Z06 0-60 in 4.0 flat!!!
tell me about it..3-4 weeks ago at the track there was one guy with a Z06, still had the temp tags on it and he was running mid/low 10s on nitrous...
Old 11-17-2001, 12:25 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by costcowholesale best hp for the buck is firebirds/cameros/mustangs, not maximas.
yeah that is if you can keep the unreliable SOBs out of the shop, its a kind of a trade off....American performance, but American reliability!
Old 11-17-2001, 12:28 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

The Maxima's VQ 4th Gen engine is equally or better built than the M3's, right ?
Old 11-17-2001, 12:34 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Craig Mack
The Maxima's VQ 4th Gen engine is equally or better built than the M3's, right ?
Haha dream on. The VQ is a great engine and has won tons of awards and all that jazz. I'll still take the 3.0 or 3.2L straight 6 any day.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:53 PM

the bmw guys sure do seem arrogant
Old 11-17-2001, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Haha dream on. The VQ is a great engine and has won tons of awards and all that jazz. I'll still take the 3.0 or 3.2L straight 6 any day.
So how come they haven't won any awards, or as many as the Max has ? (or have they?)
Old 11-17-2001, 01:06 PM

I sure hope they now, not all Maximas are slow. They are only limited on knowledge as they are limited on being thick-headed.

And to answer this thread, yes i have raced a ///M3 in my auto. Im not boosted but on the bottle.

I raced my friends ///M3 w/ exhaust (5-spd) from a dead stop to 100mph on a 50 shot. He gained but i pulled back and was about even @ 100mph. Now that im on a 100 shot, he doesnt even bother until he gets more mods. Till then, i am faster then his ///M3.

They are good cars and will always be faster then most Maximas but i'm all about surprises.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:13 PM
Neice Anne

Naaah, any BMW is nicer lookin than 4th and 5th gen.. maybe not 3rd, but Beamers are definetely nice lookin cars!

Old 11-17-2001, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by DA-MAX

yeah that is if you can keep the unreliable SOBs out of the shop, its a kind of a trade off....American performance, but American reliability!

Your Maxima probably has about 160 RWHP.

An LS1 Z/28 has about 280-310 RWHP (they were under rated).

If you upped your RWHP to the level of a STOCK LS1, you'd be breaking alot more parts than the Z/28 (which is made to handle that). And the Z/28 costs a little bit less.

These cars are in totally different classes. There may be less Maximas in the shop because you've got alot less RWHP, and the little bolton mods that you do doesn't make too much of a difference. While hotrodding a Z/28 does make significant gains which translates into more abuse of the stock parts.
Old 11-17-2001, 03:10 PM

You mean FWHP.
Old 11-17-2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Synki
You mean FWHP.
SHHHHH!!!
Old 11-17-2001, 05:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by zaino2k
Your Maxima probably has about 160 RWHP.

An LS1 Z/28 has about 280-310 RWHP (they were under rated).

If you upped your RWHP to the level of a STOCK LS1, you'd be breaking alot more parts than the Z/28 (which is made to handle that). And the Z/28 costs a little bit less.

These cars are in totally different classes. There may be less Maximas in the shop because you've got alot less RWHP, and the little bolton mods that you do doesn't make too much of a difference. While hotrodding a Z/28 does make significant gains which translates into more abuse of the stock parts.
you're exactly right and after saying all that I still stand at what I said....you'll see more of them in the shop than you will a Max! and I don't think I've got RWD
Old 11-17-2001, 07:04 PM

It's humorous to me how these types of discussions always turn into pi$$ing contests about which car is faster. IF that is what you want to concentrate on, then fine, that is what you should focus on.

But for most of us, you should be glad with what you have, and what it can do. Yes, a stock M3 is faster than a stock Maxima (especially the 2002 of each, both of which are considerably better than the previous version). The Maxima will be more comfortable, the M3 will turn better. The Maxima can take 5 people to lunch, the M3 can not. The Maxima will offer a lot of luxury and features for the money, the M3 will cost twice as much. For around $25,000 a car like the Camaro or Musting with some simple mods will be fast as $hiat and drive like cr@p, look like cr@p, rattle like cr@p and get laughed at like cr@p. But it WILL be fast. What do you really want? For me, balance is important between usability, speed, performance, reliability, luxury and cost, and the MAxima fits that bill very well.
I could afford an M3 if I wanted too (and the new ones ARE nice), but I would rather keep my boat and F150 and get a Maxima, also.

And if you want to beat EVERYBODY for less than $10 grand, get a sport bike!
Old 11-17-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd
It's humorous to me how these types of discussions always turn into pi$$ing contests about which car is faster. IF that is what you want to concentrate on, then fine, that is what you should focus on.

But for most of us, you should be glad with what you have, and what it can do. Yes, a stock M3 is faster than a stock Maxima (especially the 2002 of each, both of which are considerably better than the previous version). The Maxima will be more comfortable, the M3 will turn better. The Maxima can take 5 people to lunch, the M3 can not. The Maxima will offer a lot of luxury and features for the money, the M3 will cost twice as much. For around $25,000 a car like the Camaro or Musting with some simple mods will be fast as $hiat and drive like cr@p, look like cr@p, rattle like cr@p and get laughed at like cr@p. But it WILL be fast. What do you really want? For me, balance is important between usability, speed, performance, reliability, luxury and cost, and the MAxima fits that bill very well.
I could afford an M3 if I wanted too (and the new ones ARE nice), but I would rather keep my boat and F150 and get a Maxima, also.

And if you want to beat EVERYBODY for less than $10 grand, get a sport bike!
Well said.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

i think 3 series has won more comparison test than any car. If u read auto mags, and when they have sedan test, 3 series wins most of the time, that tells you something. however of course, the price is up there.

i personally dont like the last gen m3, those are really ugly.

i cant believe those people are telling us 4th gen and 5th max are ugly, calling us BOX?????

look at the BOXY last gen m3, thats a real DEFINITION of a BOX.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:29 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by LucentAUTO

i think 3 series has won more comparison test than any car. If u read auto mags, and when they have sedan test, 3 series wins most of the time, that tells you something. however of course, the price is up there.

i personally dont like the last gen m3, those are really ugly.

i cant believe those people are telling us 4th gen and 5th max are ugly, calling us BOX?????

look at the BOXY last gen m3, thats a real DEFINITION of a BOX.
I was just about to post the same thing... all the little awards in the world don't mean squat if you can't win on the road or on the track. Like Lucent said, the 3 series, in particular the M3, has won more comparisons than any other car. I remember a year or 2 ago when the E36 M3 lost its first comparison in Car and Driver, it won 10 before it lost any. I love my max, but I like M cars even more.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:12 AM

Ha! I raced a 95-99 5spd M3 from 0-90 MPH and beat his **** by 1 ft! I had four witnesses to back me up too!
Old 11-18-2001, 12:13 AM

i raced a bmw, first race, he pulled like 10 cars on me, second race i pulled 20 cars on him.

when i realized i pulled 20, i woke up
Old 11-18-2001, 12:36 AM

Geez! These BMW guys are even worse then the CL-S, TL-S, and GTP guys.

All Japanese cars are rice? What an ignorant comment. Guess they think Supras, 300ZXs, RX7s, and VR4s are push over too, huh?

Talk about thick headed!
Old 11-18-2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Geez! These BMW guys are even worse then the CL-S, TL-S, and GTP guys.

All Japanese cars are rice? What an ignorant comment. Guess they think Supras, 300ZXs, RX7s, and VR4s are push over too, huh?

Talk about thick headed!
Shut up, Riceboy! All those cars are pushovers! BMW power OWNZ JOO
Old 11-18-2001, 01:49 PM

u must be from bmw forum.

welcome to maxima.org and thank you for calling cumalot riceboy.

btw wats ur 1/4 time?
Old 11-18-2001, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Seraphim

hi (fill in country here)riceboy!
Old 11-18-2001, 03:27 PM

Seraphim seems a little cocky for still being a newbie! Myself being a newbie, I'm just trying not to step on any toes till I get at least 50 posts! The general consensus seems to be "why pay 2x the amount for a car that is barely faster and doesn't offer the luxury as standard?" Those of us with Maxima's are pretty lucky. Very decent speed, reliability, luxury, space, nice looks, and a great community of enthusiasts that isn't (all) about ragging on other cars, though it is fun alot of the time!
Old 11-18-2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Seraphim

I'm just kiddin guys, I love my Max!
Old 11-19-2001, 07:54 AM

I really like BMW, but those guys are full of ****. First of all, I have raced a few BMW, and yes I can say that they are fast, but let's compare apples to apples. Say you take an M3 and compare it to the Supra. Or the Z. They are some rich a$$ punks who think we shouldn't be interupting their golf outing or something (no offense to those who play golf) The maxima cost 25k less than an M3, so let me invest into my maxima 25k and we'll see who can win.

BMW:
· Big Money Works
· Bought My Wife
· Brutal Money Waster
· Break My Window
· Break My Windshield
· Babbling Mechanical Wench
· Barely Moving Wreck
· Big Money Waste
· Big Money. Why?
· Big Money Works
· Born Moderately Wealthy
· Breaks Most Wrenches
· Bring Many Wrenches
· Brings Me Women
· Brings More Women
· Broken Money Waster
· Broke My Wallet
· Broken Monstrous Wonder
· Bumbling Mechanical Wretch
· Blasphemous Motorized Wreck
Old 11-19-2001, 08:16 AM

did anyone even answer the question? who was the s/c max that whats to race that m3????
Old 11-19-2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
u must be from bmw forum.

welcome to maxima.org and thank you for calling cumalot riceboy.

btw wats ur 1/4 time?

You thanking him for calling me a riceboy? lol...tell me you're kidding. My ride is as clean as it gets.

Quick Reply: Anyone Challenge a M3