General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Black out Chrome trim around windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 02:45 PM

Black out Chrome trim around windows

im posting this even though i'm not 100% sure my car will come with it. i just ordered my 6 speed earlier this week. its black and i wanted to ask about painting the chrome trim black (if it even has the trim to begin with) would this be something i could take it to macco to do or should i get a better quality job done? any idea how much it may cost? im also thinking about painting the titanium colored grill black as well. any thoughts or comments on those ideas?

-Ryan
Old 12-01-2001, 02:57 PM

nice go for it. Nissan should have kept the "tradition" of the body color grille and black around the windows on the SE's like they did in the 3rd and 4th gens. The chrome trim around the windows i think on the 5th gens, gives it a classy elegant look but thats for the GLE, they should black that trim on the SEs.
Old 12-01-2001, 04:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Black out Chrome trim around windows

Originally posted by Newman96SE
im posting this even though i'm not 100% sure my car will come with it. i just ordered my 6 speed earlier this week. its black and i wanted to ask about painting the chrome trim black (if it even has the trim to begin with) would this be something i could take it to macco to do or should i get a better quality job done? any idea how much it may cost? im also thinking about painting the titanium colored grill black as well. any thoughts or comments on those ideas?

-Ryan
If you take the trim off I would say just take it to maaco and have them do it... it's such a small peice and especially with the black you should have no problems (hell, i gave my grill and stillen lip the krylon touch with my superblack and you can' tell a difference).
Old 12-03-2001, 07:46 AM
Kal

-Ryan
That guy with the Cefiro blacked out all his chrome trim on his car. I want 2 know how he did his so i can do mine also cause i like it better without the chrome.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Black out Chrome trim around windows

Originally posted by kalbundy

That guy with the Cefiro blacked out all his chrome trim on his car. I want 2 know how he did his so i can do mine also cause i like it better without the chrome.
i THINK he used photoshop and posted the pictures to get people's opinions. i could be wrong though.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:50 PM
KCTYPHOON

if you want a sugesstion on how to do this read the thread in the 4th gen forum entitled "Whoo Hoo, no more chrome door handles!!!" i did my moldings on my 4th gen.. if you have any specefic questions feel free to ask after you read the thread and look at the pics..

Old 12-03-2001, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by kalbundy

Razor Blade + Black electric tapes + patience for the chrome strips around the body of the car (side moldings).

Flat Black Paint on the Grille

SY~
nismo@hackrus.com
Old 12-03-2001, 02:45 PM

hello, new 2k2 auto owner here. i felt the same way and had the chrome blacked out. with tint it looks a million times better, especially with my car being black. i took mine to a body shop and paid about 225. i am sure it can be done cheaper though i dont have the time to investigate cheaper prices...
Old 12-03-2001, 03:18 PM
KCTYPHOON

mine cost me about 18 bucks and 2 1/2 hours of my time...

Old 12-03-2001, 03:59 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

You can either paint it or stick something over it.

KCTYPHOON painted his.

I put vinyl on my door handles, it's been on for like 2 months and it's holding like I just put it on. Only problem is the vinyl will need to be cut out in strips for the window trim, and if it's not cut perfect it will probably look stupid.

Few days ago, some kid posted this link, check it out, I'm goin to get some of that stuff too: http://www.racesearch.com/CGImp/mhp?...go.x=20&go.y=5

or at Trimbrite website:

http://www.trimbrite.com/trimspecialty.htm

Go down to where it says "BLACKOUT TAPE"
Here is their description of it:

"Use Blackout Tape to conceal chrome accent trim or to repair chipped black moldings. It's an easy and inexpensive way to make a vehicle look like new."

I'm goin to try this stuff, I am scared to paint, plus it's getting cold
Old 12-04-2001, 01:02 PM

i think i'd rather get it painted. althought i dont know if i want to spend $225 to do it. ill ask around. thanks guys
Old 12-04-2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

Trimbrite website:

http://www.trimbrite.com/trimspecialty.htm

Go down to where it says "BLACKOUT TAPE"
Here is their description of it:

"Use Blackout Tape to conceal chrome accent trim or to repair chipped black moldings. It's an easy and inexpensive way to make a vehicle look like new."

I'm goin to try this stuff, I am scared to paint, plus it's getting cold
This is the product I used to black-out my chrome back in June. I've posted a write-up on my site:

http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/pillager

Go to Page 2 for the How-To. Very easy to install, just time-consuming and some patience required. Peace.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Pillager

This is the product I used to black-out my chrome back in June. I've posted a write-up on my site:

Go to Page 2 for the How-To. Very easy to install, just time-consuming and some patience required. Peace.
Think I'm going to try it... I like that it's (probably) removable in case I don't like it.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:00 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Pillager

hey, that looks nice. I will definately try it.
I got a question for you, how thick is the moulding??? I just want to make sure it won't stick out or anything....

thanks
Old 12-06-2001, 03:10 PM

Black-out trim

They 5th Gen chrome trim is about a half inch wide and sticks out maybe 1/8 inch. When the black-out tape is installed correctly, no one will notice a difference between it and the rubber moldings around the windows. I have to tell people that I did it, for them to even notice, unless you're as much of a Maxima freak as I am. Peace & thanx dude!
Old 12-07-2001, 01:09 AM
Neice Anne

-Ryan
Dude, I dunno about the trim, but as far as the grille, do it yourself for sure! Grilles aren't generally very hard to remove.. trim might be harder to paint yourself..

Old 12-07-2001, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Neice Anne

Dude, I dunno about the trim, but as far as the grille, do it yourself for sure! Grilles aren't generally very hard to remove.. trim might be harder to paint yourself..
one this is, i dont have the paint that id like to use. i dont want to do this with spray paint. also i heard the 2k2 grill is actually a part of the entire front end so i would have to take the whole bumped off. does anyone know if that is true or not? is the 2k2 grill attached to the bumped permanently?