General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Water transfer ...>

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 05:56 AM
Banned

Water transfer ...>

Anyone heard of this before? I get this e-mail from a guy who does "water transfer". It's will apply any texture(ie wood or carbon fiber) to what seems like any car part. Might be something worth looking into. Instead of having 3m tape installed for your dash kits, just send them the parts to get the design of your choice added? I'll have to get more information.

Picture of transfer:
http://www.hooliganscustomsinc.com/hlgnpg1.html

E-mail that was sent to me:

I own a company that does water transfer printing . If you dont know what that is basically I can take any part off of a car interior and exterior and make it look like a high or low gloss wood grain , wood burl , carbon fiber in any color you like a very cool proccess . If you have futher interest please call me at 708-370-2369 or check out our website still under construction at www.hooliganscustomsinc.com and click on contacts to see a lap top computer . Thanks for your time . Hope you dig this system .
Old 12-05-2001, 05:59 AM

Re: Water transfer ...>

Looks interesting... I wonder how long it last and will it scratch off??

Originally posted by Jeff K
Anyone heard of this before? I get this e-mail from a guy who does "water transfer". It's will apply any texture(ie wood or carbon fiber) to what seems like any car part. Might be something worth looking into. Instead of having 3m tape installed for your dash kits, just send them the parts to get the design of your choice added? I'll have to get more information.

Picture of transfer:
http://www.hooliganscustomsinc.com/hlgnpg1.html

E-mail that was sent to me:

I own a company that does water transfer printing . If you dont know what that is basically I can take any part off of a car interior and exterior and make it look like a high or low gloss wood grain , wood burl , carbon fiber in any color you like a very cool proccess . If you have futher interest please call me at 708-370-2369 or check out our website still under construction at www.hooliganscustomsinc.com and click on contacts to see a lap top computer . Thanks for your time . Hope you dig this system .
Old 12-05-2001, 07:53 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I think people are doing this process on their interior dash and panels. The Modern Image Eclipse has something like that. The company that did that car is called Wet Works. It looks like a wet piece of vinyl/rubber. Always glossy and shiny.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:54 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Where is the 708 area code?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So the idea is you get a carbon-fiber look without it being a raised surface? Well, if it is priced competitively with existing dash kits I guess it would make sense. Durability would be an issue also I suppose, as was mentioned.

Jim
Old 12-05-2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Where is the 708 area code?
That's near chicago suburbs. Probably Franklin park. Wait that's right by my house! Hehehe
Old 12-05-2001, 11:39 AM

Water transfers are the same as the >>

decals used in Monogram, Tamiya and UT plastic model kits. There's an adhesive that is activiated by water, and while the decal is still moist, it can moved around. If they can simulate aluminum, it would look really nice.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by JJW95SC
So the idea is you get a carbon-fiber look without it being a raised surface? Well, if it is priced competitively with existing dash kits I guess it would make sense. Durability would be an issue also I suppose, as was mentioned.

Jim
Sounds good, but what about removal when you sell the car? If it's bonded to the surface it has to come off without a trace.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Weasel
Sounds good, but what about removal when you sell the car? If it's bonded to the surface it has to come off without a trace.
I'd think you'd have to leave it on the car. If it was cheap enough, you wouldn't car so much, would you?

Besides, if you had one of the existing stick-on dash kits, you wouldn't take this off before you sold the car, would you?

Jim