General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

boosted/na auto Maximas: I need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

auto Maximas: I need some feedback

I got some questions and need some explanation. So, please help in any way that you could.

When I stomp on the gas around 70mph to 120mph, the highest the boost went to was about 8psi I think. I was approaching 120 when I hit 8psi and then suddenly, the boost level dropped back to around 5psi. That's weird. I can't explain it. I don't remember if it did shifted into 4th gear when that happen, it could explain why the boost dropped.

Also, when I'm traveling around 70mph and then want to step on the gas, it would go, but it doesn't seem to downshift, the rpms don't rise up fast. However, I also tested going around 90mph, then I stomp on the gas, the rpms rise much faster then when I'm going 70mph. It seem that my car has a very strong top end, it seem to still pull hard after 120mph. Could better throttle control help?

I'm still learning about my car. I hope that you fellow automagic driver can shed some light on this matter for me.

Btw, I'm not complaining about the automagic. I won't mention names, but you know who you are. No need to worry. I just want to learn more if possible about the working of the automagic with boost. I know a few of you automagic guys have done quite well on the highway at high speeds, so maybe you could give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-05-2001, 04:47 PM
Administrator

why didn't you just say ALL Auto maxima's?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:49 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by SprintMax
why didn't you just say ALL Auto maxima's?
Yea. Me know nuttin 'bout boost.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:57 PM
Got Bent?

when you stomp it at 70, I think you just miss the point where it will downshift into 2nd and then go into 3rd. So you remain in 3rd gear or drop into 3rd, which at 70 is like 3.5k rpm or so.... At 90, you are still in 3rd, but the rpms are much higher..... given your boost, higher rpm will yield more power. That's why you feel stronger at the point. That's my take on it... could be wrong though
Old 12-05-2001, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
when you stomp it at 70, I think you just miss the point where it will downshift into 2nd and then go into 3rd. So you remain in 3rd gear or drop into 3rd, which at 70 is like 3.5k rpm or so.... At 90, you are still in 3rd, but the rpms are much higher..... given your boost, higher rpm will yield more power. That's why you feel stronger at the point. That's my take on it... could be wrong though

I think you are right. Thanks for the explanation. So, there's nothing I could really do to kick it down to 2nd when I'm going 70mph? Or maybe if I want more I should slow down to about 60mph and then stomp on the gas?
Old 12-05-2001, 06:06 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Cumalot

I think you are right. Thanks for the explanation. So, there's nothing I could really do to kick it down to 2nd when I'm going 70mph? Or maybe if I want more I should slow down to about 60mph and then stomp on the gas?
try dropping the shifter into 2nd.... it may actually downshift then even at 70... 2nd gear is good up to around just past 80 mph.... at 60, it will downshift to 2nd by just stomping on it
Old 12-05-2001, 06:58 PM

At 70, why don't you just turn off the OD to drop the gear? I don't rely on the computer in highway runs.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by deezo
At 70, why don't you just turn off the OD to drop the gear? I don't rely on the computer in highway runs.

I tried that, but it didn't seem to do much good. I even used a stopwatch to time the difference from 70 to 90 with OD off oppose to just stomping on the gas. No difference, OD off might feel faster, but since I timed it, I got the numbers to show me it doesn't make a difference.

As far as dropping it to 2nd gear, I don't know if that's a wise thing to do with a SC. Maybe I could try it and see.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:48 PM

When i romp on the gas @ 70mph, the car will NOT downshift into 2nd. 2nd should max out at 70mph. Say, if im cruising at 70mph and i want to step on it, i dont floor it, i click OD off first and then kinda pressurize the pedal and it takes off. I find that when i just stomp on it, the car takes a sec to go and just feels sluggish.
Its odd that your boost just drops. If your fuel pump old? You dont have a boost leak do you? Your boost will max at during peak HP dont it?
Old 12-05-2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Synki
When i romp on the gas @ 70mph, the car will NOT downshift into 2nd. 2nd should max out at 70mph. Say, if im cruising at 70mph and i want to step on it, i dont floor it, i click OD off first and then kinda pressurize the pedal and it takes off. I find that when i just stomp on it, the car takes a sec to go and just feels sluggish.
Its odd that your boost just drops. If your fuel pump old? You dont have a boost leak do you? Your boost will max at during peak HP dont it?

What do you mean by pressurize the pedal? Is it when you turn OD off, ease on the gas a bit, then stomp on it? I haven't try this before, so I'll give it a try.

As far as boost leak, I don't know if I do have a boost leak. My fuel pump is still the factory one, I might have to upgrade to a Walbro one soon.

That's one thing about my SC, to this day, I don't think it has run perfectly yet. Some problem always come up.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You probably shifted into 4th. I get 5 psi after each shift.

About the downshifting... Jane's car and my car feel completely different when it comes to flooring. In her car, it take about a second for the car to downshift. In my car, it either downshifts right away or it stays in the same gear (it'll drop down almost all of the time). I believe it could be the difference in TCM between the gens. You have the JWT TCM so I don't know why that happens.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The OD will take the car to 3rd gear. And thats what he seems to drop into already at 70MPH.

I think he needs to manually shift it into 2nd to get max bost.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:20 AM

Hmm

@70 the car hardly ever drops into 2nd and if it does it's a waste since you would have hit your peak HP around that point..
Old 12-06-2001, 10:26 AM
Got Bent?

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
and if it does it's a waste since you would have hit your peak HP around that point..

true, but he has boost so his peak is most likely different
Old 12-06-2001, 10:28 AM

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
@70 the car hardly ever drops into 2nd and if it does it's a waste since you would have hit your peak HP around that point..
You shouldn't need to anyway. Just drop it into 3rd by turning off the OD. The powerband is around 3000 and the car pulls beautifully.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:45 AM

Re: Re: Hmm

I don't have that problem anymore the JWT ECU allows you to pull 2nd to ~90..

Oh, and it pulls nicely if your not racin' but let a car as fast as yours or faster floor it while your doing 70-75.. Trust me you won't be happy..

You shouldn't need to anyway. Just drop it into 3rd by turning off the OD. The powerband is around 3000 and the car pulls beautifully.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
You have the JWT TCM so I don't know why that happens.

lol...that tranny ecu didn't do a thing. It was a waste of money on my part. I didn't notice any difference at all. I took it out and put the factory one back in.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:18 PM

I'm going to order a Performance Transmission Kit from Level Ten, that should help the automagic out. I think SteveChicagoSC has this from Level Ten. Anyone else have this kit on their automagic?
Old 12-06-2001, 03:30 PM
Got Bent?

I'm going to order a Performance Transmission Kit from Level Ten, that should help the automagic out. I think SteveChicagoSC has this from Level Ten. Anyone else have this kit on their automagic?
A stage 3 rebuild from Level10 or just their version of the VB mod? You already have Don's VB mod, right?
Old 12-06-2001, 03:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You're talking about the full rebuild? Can you say bling bling? You can buy another supercharger with what you're going to pay.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:00 PM
Got Bent?

You can buy another supercharger with what you're going to pay.
dual SC setup
Old 12-06-2001, 04:05 PM

No, not the full rebuilt kit. That cost over $3000, I don't have that much money. Here's a link:

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...000_nissan.htm
Old 12-06-2001, 04:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

No, not the full rebuilt kit. That cost over $3000, I don't have that much money. Here's a link:

That's the L10 tranny (minus TC, VB).

You found someone that'll crack your tranny open?

Nauman: Yeah! Dual SC makes you go faster!
Old 12-06-2001, 04:31 PM

You found someone that'll crack your tranny open?

Good, cause I cant help ya with that Mike!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 04:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Good, cause I cant help ya with that Mike!!!
You don't want him coming back to you with problems? Do I smell *ahem*refund*refund*?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:58 PM

You don't want him coming back to you with problems? Do I smell *ahem*refund*refund*?
Refund of what?

I'm a little intimadated about working on an auto trans.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:20 PM

don't you have don's vb mod

the link you posted is the same thing as don's vb mod and it is not worth $700 or $800 whatever they charge.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:35 PM

Re: don't you have don's vb mod

Originally posted by 96sleeper

the link you posted is the same thing as don's vb mod and it is not worth $700 or $800 whatever they charge.
The VB mod didnt require replacing transmission removal? This is not a VB kit, its a HP rebuild kit for the internal wear components on an automatic trans.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:02 AM

Re: don't you have don's vb mod

Originally posted by 96sleeper

This isn't the same as the Don's VB mod. Don't you think I would know the difference? It's a rebuilt kit, fixes up the internals of the automagic tranny.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Forgot to mention, it won't make your downshifting any quicker.

TCM <~~ that will.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:13 AM

I did some testing today coming back home from school. I tried what Sinclair suggested. He said when traveling around 70mph, he would turn the OD off, let if pressurize/let it rpms rise, then stomp on the gas. Well, it worked! In the past, I would turn OD off and stomp on the gas at the same time, so it didn't work as well. Now if I want to downshift/go, I just turn OD off, let the rpms rise for a second, then stomp on it. It made a big difference, my car really can GO now on the highway. I tried it at 70mph and 80mph, it still pulled very strongly. So, I think my highway problem is solved. Thanks for the tip Sinclair, it helped me out a lot.

Btw, is it ok to have OD off all the time except maybe approaching 100mph, then turn OD back on? I don't know if it's ok to do that, but I would think my gas mileage wouldn't be very good.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:14 PM

Uh oh, doesn't sound to good for my car. I went to Matt's house to get a ride in his car so I could feel out the lsd and NOS. It kicked a$$! Anyway, later on, we took a ride in my car. The automagic felt more sluggish then usual. Normally, my automagic would pull strongly on the street, but it felt different tonight. As I went WOT on one of the runs, I heard this weird noise. I don't know how to describe it, but Matt said it had a pinging sound to it. He hinted it could be detonating. However, he later said if it was detonating, the egt would have skyrocketed. So, I'm thinking it's the tranny. I did a few more runs, and the same weird noise was still there. So, could it really be the tranny? I have always say to myself that my tranny was acting a bit weird. After installing the 3.125 pulley, I have been pushing it quite hard. So, maybe the tranny couldn't handle it? Geez...one problem after another. Doh! I'm going to look at the spark plugs tomorrow and see if there's anything wrong with them too. *sigh* just when I was beginning to be happy with the automagic's performance.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:19 AM
Got Bent?

what kind of noise is it? Also, check the tranny fluid. Does it smell or look burnt? Any metal shavings?
Old 12-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Don't stay on the gas when you hear the noise or ***BOOM***.

What was your EGT at when it happened? If you think it's the tranny follow Nauman's advice.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:36 AM
Banned

that sucks mike. I am sure you will figure it out. It must be nice having matt close by to help you out. If all else fails you can sell the SC to me....
Old 12-08-2001, 11:50 AM

The noise sounded like pinging according to Matt. It sounded a bit like grinding noise to me. I'm not sure. I checked the tranny fluid, it seems fine. My spark plugs however, they were really black in color around the top ring. Is that normal? The egt was relatively normal when I heard the noise, didn't get above 800C, I think it was near 780C. Any ideas?

MC: stop asking me to sell my SC to you!
Old 12-08-2001, 12:50 PM
Got Bent?

black crud on plugs means you are running rich.... if you were pinging the plugs would have probably been white
Old 12-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Banned

The noise sounded like pinging according to Matt. It sounded a bit like grinding noise to me. I'm not sure. I checked the tranny fluid, it seems fine. My spark plugs however, they were really black in color around the top ring. Is that normal? The egt was relatively normal when I heard the noise, didn't get above 800C, I think it was near 780C. Any ideas?

MC: stop asking me to sell my SC to you!
hehe, it was worth one last try.

I really dont think you would be pinging with egt's near 780c. And then with what Nauman said it would not make any sense if it was pinging. Maybe your tranny is nearing its life expectancy.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:21 PM

So, in conclusion, I still have no idea what's wrong.

My best guess is the tranny is going. If it's my tranny, what do you guys think? Get a Level Ten tranny or go for a 5sdp swap?
Old 12-08-2001, 03:31 PM
Got Bent?

My best guess is the tranny is going. If it's my tranny, what do you guys think? Get a Level Ten tranny or go for a 5sdp swap?

Level10 stage3 tranny is like $3k.... 5 speed swap is probably around $1500 plus labor. Labor is the bigger problem with the swap...

Quick Reply: boosted/na auto Maximas: I need some feedback