General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

After 16hrs of labor, the S/C is back in Maxie!!, but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 11:05 PM

After 16hrs of labor, the S/C is back in Maxie!!, but....

Sup,

Its now 1:30, and I just got home, throught a snow-storm i might add (not with maxie), and the s/c is finally back in Maxie. Everything seems ok. At idle, my A/F guage is on the leanest red mark, but when i rev it moves fine. The reason it took so long was because we got everything on at about 6:00 and we started it up and it started smoking. We had the belt routed wrong around the mounting plate, so we shut it off, and we had to take everything off again

Then, the second time tonite putting it on, we got everything squared away and it worked. The only concern I have is that its making a "grinding" sound or a kind-of metal on metal sound. It was making this sound before, but also leaking oil, and that is why I sent it back to Vortech in the first place. How could, basically, a brand new blower, make these noises?!?! This bothers me so much.

Please help me out guys, I have no idea why I'm getting screwed like this....
Old 12-09-2001, 05:00 AM
Administrator

it was my pleasure keeping Eri's company while you were doing all the hard work .. Mike...
Old 12-09-2001, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
it was my pleasure keeping Eri's company while you were doing all the hard work .. Mike...

Anyways, good job Mike. I STILL have to get that ride.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by medicsonic

Anyways, good job Mike. I STILL have to get that ride.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:57 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

u were present for an SC install?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by NickStam

u were present for an SC install?
no i was at her house..
Old 12-09-2001, 06:24 AM

Old 12-09-2001, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by medicsonic
Old 12-09-2001, 01:11 PM

Actually, she was there with me.....

My blower is a V2 model, in case that help with the decision on the sound its supposed to make....

Medic,
My car is going home to rochester to be garaged for a while, but i'll get you that ride in the spring..

-Mike
Old 12-09-2001, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Screaminfast
Actually, she was there with me.....

My blower is a V2 model, in case that help with the decision on the sound its supposed to make....

Medic,
My car is going home to rochester to be garaged for a while, but i'll get you that ride in the spring..

-Mike
That whiring sound at idle is normal. Pull on the trottle cable a little and you should hear the air rush in and the whiring go away. It's fine. The reason it runs lean till you step on the gas is cuz it's not getting much gas.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:45 PM

So I drove it back to my apt today, and I noticed somethings....

That buzzing/grinding/whirring sound goes away when i give it gas. Its only when its venting through the BOV. This is consistant with what max'nout said.

Some wires were hitting the fan blades, so I'm gonna move them tomorrow when I go back to the shop. Then I hit a bump, and there was a slapping sound, and I thought I snapped my belt again, but i popped the hood and everything seems ok. There was a piece of my old belt laying there so I think its that....I hope. Also, there seems to be some spray on the underside of the hood. I dont think its oil...doesn't smell like oil, could just be water or something.... Maybe you guys have the same thing???

And Lastly, The car is very jerky, almost hesitating. I think this is due to either bad MAF, bad O2 sensors, or my missing S-AFC. However I did connect the yellow and the white wires.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Mike
Old 12-09-2001, 05:55 PM

So I drove it back to my apt today, and I noticed somethings....

That buzzing/grinding/whirring sound goes away when i give it gas. Its only when its venting through the BOV. This is consistant with what max'nout said.

Some wires were hitting the fan blades, so I'm gonna move them tomorrow when I go back to the shop. Then I hit a bump, and there was a slapping sound, and I thought I snapped my belt again, but i popped the hood and everything seems ok. There was a piece of my old belt laying there so I think its that....I hope. Also, there seems to be some spray on the underside of the hood. I dont think its oil...doesn't smell like oil, could just be water or something.... Maybe you guys have the same thing???

And Lastly, The car is very jerky, almost hesitating. I think this is due to either bad MAF, bad O2 sensors, or my missing S-AFC. However I did connect the yellow and the white wires.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Mike
What wires are near the fan?????????? I dont' think I have any near the fan. The slaping sound my be the pipes hiting each other where they cross, I had that, it's simple to fix. I have no idea what that spray could be, can you discribe it better.

The jerkyness could be 2 things, one the tranny is unable to handle the power and your need to mod it more, or somthing else. Do you have a 5 speed or auto?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Jason.. mike has 5spd with VSLD

on a side note..what kind of subs, components and head unit are you running? and your pipes.. is that for a FMIC?

Originally posted by max'n out

What wires are near the fan?????????? I dont' think I have any near the fan. The slaping sound my be the pipes hiting each other where they cross, I had that, it's simple to fix. I have no idea what that spray could be, can you discribe it better.

The jerkyness could be 2 things, one the tranny is unable to handle the power and your need to mod it more, or somthing else. Do you have a 5 speed or auto?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:22 PM

on a side note..what kind of subs, components and head unit are you running? and your pipes.. is that for a FMIC?

me?!?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:26 PM

me?!?

Jason-

I dont have 2 pipes, mines a 4th gen....

Also, my friend thinks it could be that the gas lost its octane when my car sat for so long....so i might go get some octane booster and fill up with good gas....

However it would be an amazing coincedence if it happened when i went over a bump
Old 12-09-2001, 06:31 PM
Administrator

no the stereo question and pipe question was to Jason..

anyway mike.. don't use octane boosters.. they are not good for your engine..

me?!?

Jason-

I dont have 2 pipes, mines a 4th gen....

Also, my friend thinks it could be that the gas lost its octane when my car sat for so long....so i might go get some octane booster and fill up with good gas....

However it would be an amazing coincedence if it happened when i went over a bump
Old 12-09-2001, 08:02 PM

Hmm 5 spd then It shoun't hesitate if it's looked in gear Not sure what that might be, any mods to it?

Subs are nakamichi for now till the quarts go in, componets are mbquart q's till the qsd's go in and the head unit is a nakamichi mb100.

The pipes i'm talking about are where the intake pipe cross' over top of the pressure pipe going back to the tb.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:19 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ooh, Rochester! Can theblue and I get a test ride?
Old 12-09-2001, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Are you going to bring it to NYIRP when you are done?
Old 12-09-2001, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Sure, if its working correctly and when I have my AFC

Originally posted by SOLOBLAZER

No.

I'll let you all know what I find tomorrow....

-Mike
Old 12-09-2001, 10:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Screaminfast

Sure, if its working correctly and when I have my AFC

[quote] Originally posted by SOLOBLAZER

No.

I'll let you all know what I find tomorrow....

-Mike
Let me know how you like the super afc, and I have a suggestion since yours is a fourth gen you might wanna get a custom intake pipe made to get some cooler air, it's not to fix the problem but just to get more power, it's worth it.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:24 PM

Let me know how you like the super afc, and I have a suggestion since yours is a fourth gen you might wanna get a custom intake pipe made to get some cooler air, it's not to fix the problem but just to get more power, it's worth it.

Yea, I definitely am gonna get a custom pipe made possibly when I have my car at the shop for the AFC. You all know how it is though....its getting close to christmas and money is tight.

[shhh]i might be buying a ring this christmas too....[/shhh]
Old 12-10-2001, 05:54 AM

If you think thats loud, you should have heard my V-1 A trim (pushing 10lbs of boost)I had on my 1993 Cobra. It was so loud that when I first put it on I didn't like it because I thought it made the car sound cheap.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by 2000 SE
If you think thats loud, you should have heard my V-1 A trim (pushing 10lbs of boost)I had on my 1993 Cobra. It was so loud that when I first put it on I didn't like it because I thought it made the car sound cheap.
Heheh....

BTW Jason, my tranny is HOOKED UP....I30 VLSD Tranny, Clutchmasters Stage 3 Clutch, Stillen Flywheel, I30 axles...
Old 12-10-2001, 08:47 AM

ok....

the problem was that the new belt was unraveling, so i cut the piece off at the base of it. However, it also seems that its one groove off on the supercharger pulley. I'm gonna go move it over one and hope that it doesn't snap on me.....

Also, it seems still to be leaking oil, but i dont know where from, so its really confusing.....

Maybe vortech did nothing and just charged me 600 bucks...

WTF is going on?!?

-Mike
Old 12-10-2001, 09:37 AM

ok....

the problem was that the new belt was unraveling, so i cut the piece off at the base of it. However, it also seems that its one groove off on the supercharger pulley. I'm gonna go move it over one and hope that it doesn't snap on me.....

Also, it seems still to be leaking oil, but i dont know where from, so its really confusing.....

Maybe vortech did nothing and just charged me 600 bucks...

WTF is going on?!?

-Mike
Where is it leaking? from under the car on the passenger side? Check the oil level at different times and make sure it's not over full I had a prob with the oil draining back out of the s/c when it sat and leaking over through the seal.

You got some nice tranny mods I don't know why it would be heitating, it deff shoun't maybe theres a misfire? or somthing really odd.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:19 PM

Well...I found the leak....

I took the car to the dealer to have the PowerSteering belt replaced, which they did, and then the tech thinks he found where the oil was comin from. Its from behind the supercharger mounting plate. Apparently he thinks that the timing case is cracked. I was like OMG!!

The labor on that alone, not including taking off and putting on the supercharger, is 10.8 hrs, so about 700-800 bucks!!! WTF....the total is probably around 1500 which is insane.

My friend says to take the engine out and we'll just do it ourselves. Mount the blower off of the car and then put the engine back in.

Let me know what you all think....

-Mike
Old 12-10-2001, 04:43 PM

Well...I found the leak....

I took the car to the dealer to have the PowerSteering belt replaced, which they did, and then the tech thinks he found where the oil was comin from. Its from behind the supercharger mounting plate. Apparently he thinks that the timing case is cracked. I was like OMG!!

The labor on that alone, not including taking off and putting on the supercharger, is 10.8 hrs, so about 700-800 bucks!!! WTF....the total is probably around 1500 which is insane.

My friend says to take the engine out and we'll just do it ourselves. Mount the blower off of the car and then put the engine back in.

Let me know what you all think....

-Mike
Thats really sh**ty news. Take the supercharger off and see if thats it he could be wrong it could be coming out of the s/c around the mounting plate. But I don't think you have to remove the engine to get teh timeing case out I don't think, but could be wrong. If you had a pro put the s/c on take it to him and tell him he killed it and he has to fix it cuz it's his fault by law, free.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:01 PM

Thats really sh**ty news. Take the supercharger off and see if thats it he could be wrong it could be coming out of the s/c around the mounting plate. But I don't think you have to remove the engine to get teh timeing case out I don't think, but could be wrong. If you had a pro put the s/c on take it to him and tell him he killed it and he has to fix it cuz it's his fault by law, free.

well, i put it on, and i'm no pro apparently....however from what the guy showed me and from what he thought, he didn't think it came from the blower....plus the blower just got back from Vortech...

I think I might set the car aside and start my project of rebuilding an engine....

-Mike
Old 12-10-2001, 07:46 PM

well, i put it on, and i'm no pro apparently....however from what the guy showed me and from what he thought, he didn't think it came from the blower....plus the blower just got back from Vortech...

I think I might set the car aside and start my project of rebuilding an engine....

-Mike
Hmm that sucks big time. But at least you seem to look on the positive side sort of
Old 12-11-2001, 06:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Did you use a good amount of sealer on the oil return plate? You said, "Its from behind the supercharger mounting plate" but did you check the return thingy-ma-jig?
Old 12-11-2001, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Did you use a good amount of sealer on the oil return plate? You said, "Its from behind the supercharger mounting plate" but did you check the return thingy-ma-jig?
yea, its leaking from higher up than that....

BTW, the price on the new cover is 400 bucks just for the part.

I think I might need to get a second engine.....muhahahaha.....My friend says there are places that will do a complete rebuild for around 3800 bucks, including the parts.

-Mike
Old 12-11-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
This is why PowerDyne's w/ SilentBelt Drive, don't have external oil lines.
Thats a good sales man. GOOOD
Old 12-12-2001, 04:21 AM

Does anyone know where I can get a good rebuild with all forged parts, good to 15 or so psi?? But it can't be too expensive....

thanks,
Mike
Old 12-12-2001, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone know where I can get a good rebuild with all forged parts, good to 15 or so psi??
Yep.

But it can't be too expensive....
Nope.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:24 PM

i've seen like 3800 for a rebuild including all parts....???

-Mike
Old 12-15-2001, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Wait til you get into Cams, and ECU Matching to use 15Psi, titanium springs and retainers, and potentially beefier rings(2,2,3 vs 1,2,3)
maximize flow in the heads, and intake manifold. Valve job, Pistons and rods available from DET motor handle upwards of 18Psi, knife edged crank and rods, new journals, modified oil pan w/ modified scrapper, have the motor blue-printed, and don't forget to "close" the block...semi-open deck.
well, you just listed pretty much everything i want to eventually go to.... you know any good shops that would do some of this on my max?

I was honestly, thinking of taking the engine apart myself, or just shipping it to someone....

Either way, I want to run 12s and raise the redline....so..what do you think i should do?
Old 12-15-2001, 11:05 AM

well, you just listed pretty much everything i want to eventually go to.... you know any good shops that would do some of this on my max?

I was honestly, thinking of taking the engine apart myself, or just shipping it to someone....

Either way, I want to run 12s and raise the redline....so..what do you think i should do?
There is a machine shop less than a mile from my house that does all rebuilding and mods to the internel of the engine send it to them. That way I can keep an eye on it for ya
Old 12-15-2001, 11:32 AM

There is a machine shop less than a mile from my house that does all rebuilding and mods to the internel of the engine send it to them. That way I can keep an eye on it for ya
Definitely Where are you located?!

-Mike
Old 12-15-2001, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No need for an engine job to run mid to high 12's. I dont know what your other mods currently are, but beyond the basic stuff. Up the boost to 11-12psi with an intercooler. Tune out the A/F ratio on a dyno. Get the quaife installed or VLSD. Get some drag radials. And if your clutch is up to it you should be able to see 12's. If that dont get it slap on some well tuned nitrous. If that still dont get it its time for a new project

Quick Reply: After 16hrs of labor, the S/C is back in Maxie!!, but....