General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question about Brakes

About 2 months ago my breaks starting grinding. I took them to be fixed and after that they worked fine. Now there starting to grind again and its only been 2 months! I spent alomost $600 to get this fixed, and I don't know if it's just how I use my brakes when I drive, or if It has something to do with my Car. YES, LOL I know this may sound dumb me asking but i just don't know much about cars.If anyone could just help me out with understanding a little more about why my brakes keep doing this and around how much this should costto get them fixed. I don't know If I was just ripped off, or they fixed them wrong.

Thanks,
Old 12-18-2001, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Normally, guys on here will tell newbies to search. However, since you're a girl, watch...you'll get a lot help.

About your brakes, I have no idea.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:39 PM
SLOW

What kind of grinding is it? Are your pads worn out or what?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:40 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Re: Question about Brakes

Originally posted by MaximaGirl18
About 2 months ago my breaks starting grinding. I took them to be fixed and after that they worked fine. Now there starting to grind again and its only been 2 months! I spent alomost $600 to get this fixed, and I don't know if it's just how I use my brakes when I drive, or if It has something to do with my Car. YES, LOL I know this may sound dumb me asking but i just don't know much about cars.If anyone could just help me out with understanding a little more about why my brakes keep doing this and around how much this should costto get them fixed. I don't know If I was just ripped off, or they fixed them wrong.

Thanks,

Jennifer
humm
what did they replace the first time for $600? its hard to see whats wrong with your car over the net but id say take it back to the shop that worked on it. They should take care of the prob under waranty if it is waranty...
Old 12-18-2001, 12:44 PM

You either got defective brake pads which happen a lot or you might not have done a proper break-in on when teh pads were new. Do you stomp on teh brakes a lot? Hard braking kills pads really fast too.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:48 PM
RBa

Aftermarket pads...$600 for brake job ?
I think its time we have meet at that shop and hang the mechanics by their *****...

-Rip Off...
Old 12-18-2001, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Normally, guys on here will tell newbies to search. However, since you're a girl, watch...you'll get a lot help.

About your brakes, I have no idea.
Well, maybe you should do a search for her mike.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Nealoc187
What kind of grinding is it? Are your pads worn out or what?
Well, when I hit the brakes it makes a really loud grinding noise. And the guy who worked on them came over to my house because I was to afraid to drive my car anymore...A friend of mine recommended him. And yeah, he said I needed new brake pads. When I called he said they shouldn't be grinding again, and he will come back and check them out. But, is there any way that my driving could be affecting my brakes? Like If i ride my brakes to much?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:53 PM
SLOW

Re: Re: Question about Brakes

Originally posted by Turbo95Max

humm
what did they replace the first time for $600? its hard to see whats wrong with your car over the net but id say take it back to the shop that worked on it. They should take care of the prob under waranty if it is waranty...
What he means is he wants to take a look at you- Er, I mean your BRAKES in person.

Originally posted by RBa
I think its time we have meet at that shop and hang the mechanics by their *****...

-Rip Off...
Same thing here.

Is this the quickest 6 replies in the history of this message board? Maybe I should put "girl" in my name too
Old 12-18-2001, 12:55 PM
Administrator

sounds like your rotors are warped.. which means that the shop that did your brake job did not re-surface your rotors.. if you paid that much that should have been included in the job.. bring it back to the shop and ask them if they resurfaced the rotors..
Old 12-18-2001, 12:56 PM

lol...see what I mean?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:58 PM
Administrator

why are you guys getting excited because she is female? just because she is female doesn't mean you will find her attrative.. no reason to go ape ****.. just answer the damn question
Old 12-18-2001, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Cumalot
lol...see what I mean?
lol, I do
Old 12-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Question about Brakes

Thanks,

Jennifer
Ehmm.. I don't know what kind of brakejob that would cost $600 but sounds like you got ripped off...

If money don't grow on your backyard, take it back to the shop and b!tch about it
You paid them $600 for a lousy brakejob and you deserve the job to be done right by them. Don't let them fool you with mumbo jumbo.

BTW- Welcome aboard
Old 12-18-2001, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by SprintMax
sounds like your rotors are warped.. which means that the shop that did your brake job did not re-surface your rotors.. if you paid that much that should have been included in the job.. bring it back to the shop and ask them if they resurfaced the rotors..
Thanks for your help. I'll ask even though I don't know what rotors are, lol. The guy who worked on them said he would come back over and check them out again.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Synki
You either got defective brake pads which happen a lot or you might not have done a proper break-in on when teh pads were new. Do you stomp on teh brakes a lot? Hard braking kills pads really fast too.
What do you mean proper break in? How do I do that?
Old 12-18-2001, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your help. I'll ask even though I don't know what rotors are, lol. The guy who worked on them said he would come back over and check them out again.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...D&terms=rotors
Old 12-18-2001, 03:24 PM

I really think you got ripped off to the extreme....$600 to change brakes, hell I would do that for free!
Old 12-18-2001, 03:27 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by gtr_rider
I really think you got ripped off to the extreme....$600 to change brakes, hell I would do that for free!
how come you never told me that?
Old 12-18-2001, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks! I'm learning more about my car already.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks! I'm learning more about my car already.
thats why we are all here.. come check out my magic in the 4th gen forum
Old 12-18-2001, 05:44 PM

Your auto-magic?

Originally posted by SprintMax
thats why we are all here.. come check out my magic in the 4th gen forum
Old 12-18-2001, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by clee130
Your auto-magic?

Old 12-18-2001, 08:42 PM
RBa

Originally posted by RBa

-Rip Off...
OK.. Who's been whoring under my name?? Hogan? Toylet?? This what happens when you leave two monkeys alone with your computer while installing a VB..

Rotors are those round plates you see inside the wheel!!!..
http://rba.8m.net/cgi-bin/i/images/061101n.jpg
When they warp, it grinds and you feel it in the pedal..The red thing you see is the calipar, which holds the brake pads and stops the car when you press your brakes.
$600 for a brake job is insane. Not even Nissan charges that much unless they changed all 4 rotors & pads. If they're warped to the point of grinding, you usually have to repace the rotors and pads..
You should definitely bish at these morons and if they wont fix it for free, let sprintmax know!!.. He'll head down there and take care of it!!!..
BTW.. Welcome Lurker!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:50 PM

you guys are fun...."whoring under my name" I will write that down in my ****-tionary mwahaha

I think .org should use colored names so we can distinguish between our male and female population. We do need the ladies. We got needs and so do they, lets not scare them away.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by RBa

OK.. Who's been whoring under my name?? Hogan? Toylet?? This what happens when you leave two monkeys alone with your computer while installing a VB..

Rotors are those round plates you see inside the wheel!!!..
http://rba.8m.net/cgi-bin/i/images/061101n.jpg
When they warp, it grinds and you feel it in the pedal..The red thing you see is the calipar, which holds the brake pads and stops the car when you press your brakes.
$600 for a brake job is insane. Not even Nissan charges that much unless they changed all 4 rotors & pads. If they're warped to the point of grinding, you usually have to repace the rotors and pads..
You should definitely bish at these morons and if they wont fix it for free, let sprintmax know!!.. He'll head down there and take care of it!!!..
BTW.. Welcome Lurker!!!
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I got this info! I'll see what happens when the guy comes back to look at the brakes.. Now I'll at least have a clue about what he's talking about..

lol, I've learned a lot about brakes today. Maybe it's about time I learned more about my car
Old 12-18-2001, 09:30 PM
RBa

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I got this info! I'll see what happens when the guy comes back to look at the brakes.. Now I'll at least have a clue about what he's talking about..

lol, I've learned a lot about brakes today. Maybe it's about time I learned more about my car
When you want to know, just ask away.. Some of us will be happy to help... Some of us are dedicated enough drive down to LasVegas to help you in person.. I'll just answer question though!!... I'm not that dedicated!!..
Old 12-19-2001, 04:50 AM

What do you mean proper break in? How do I do that?
Just take a hammer or a thick bar, make sure it can get through your wheels to your brake pads/rotors, and just start hitting as hard as you can. You have to do that proper break in whenever you get new pads or they won't work properly and will give you the type of problems that you're experiencing. The more you break them in, the better they will work.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by for sHo

Just take a hammer or a thick bar, make sure it can get through your wheels to your brake pads/rotors, and just start hitting as hard as you can. You have to do that proper break in whenever you get new pads or they won't work properly and will give you the type of problems that you're experiencing. The more you break them in, the better they will work.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could have the same problem I had:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=85595

Or you could brake like a.......woman driver hehe. I hardly ever use my brakes unless I have to. Let up off the gas!
Old 12-19-2001, 08:14 AM

Is the grinding from the front or back. Have him check the parking brake cables too. I've heard a couple people had the same problem as I. The cables get pinched or cut, possibly from lifting the car, causing the cables to bind. Dragging brakes wear out fast! Are the brake rotors getting really hot? That was my symptom.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

this place should be called horny-bastard.orgy geeez!!
Old 12-19-2001, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup! I must just brake like a girl hehe. Guess I might ride them to much, LOL I'll keep that in mind when I drive my car from now on.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:06 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Yup! I must just brake like a girl hehe. Guess I might ride them to much, LOL I'll keep that in mind when I drive my car from now on.
you may want to try better brake pads to fit your driving style.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

No one ever mentioned caliper failure. Caliper failure occurs when they, the calipers, don't retract from squeezing the rotor after the brake pedal has been released, therefore leading to excessive wear on the brake pads. So this could either be a bad caliper, or the synthetic grease that is on the moving parts of the caliper need to be regreased so they retract like they used to. I'll be glad to drive to Vegas and see if that's your problem.....

Calipers are the thingies thast look like thy're attached to the rotor, they sqeeze your rotor to stop you..
Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I'll be glad to drive to Vegas and see if that's your problem.....

Was that Las Vegas new Mexico?? or Nevada???? Hopefully it's New Mexico.........
Old 12-19-2001, 11:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

No one ever mentioned caliper failure. Caliper failure occurs when they, the calipers, don't retract from squeezing the rotor after the brake pedal has been released, therefore leading to excessive wear on the brake pads. So this could either be a bad caliper, or the synthetic grease that is on the moving parts of the caliper need to be regreased so they retract like they used to. I'll be glad to drive to Vegas and see if that's your problem.....

Calipers are the thingies thast look like thy're attached to the rotor, they sqeeze your rotor to stop you..
frozen caliper
grease sliding pin
i believe someone mentioned that already..if not that's it.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

I deny the ***** accusation...I forgot I was on your name...LoL...so sue me...BTW I was showing John, Kyogo John's Supra...that's all...then .org just popped up and we responded blindly...poor girl...Can we get Maxima-Girl of the Month Calendars ?
Old 12-19-2001, 11:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by DanNY

frozen caliper
grease sliding pin
i believe someone mentioned that already..if not that's it.
Yup, that was me, I mentioned about the calipers.

about those calendars
Old 12-19-2001, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Yup, that was me, I mentioned about the calipers.

about those calendars
Old 12-19-2001, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Was that Las Vegas new Mexico?? or Nevada???? Hopefully it's New Mexico.........
I'm in Nevada

Quick Reply: Question about Brakes