General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmission question........

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 08:31 PM
Gr95

I first start up my car and let it warm up. I feel that there is so much more pick up when it is colder. As it gets closer to its regular temp the performance goes down. It just dosent have to kick to it as it did when it was cold. I also noticed that when I give it some gas it downshifts a lot quicker when its cold....yes this does mean that I have an auto...to recap the total performance of the car gets worse as the engine temp rises.....anyone else have this problem or know what I could try to fix this.....any help you guys can give me would be great...thanks

Old 11-08-2000, 08:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 5-Speed and also notice this,

I know that it should be a little quicker because the air is much cooler going into the engine {and the engine its self is much cooler} which would give it a extra kick.I know people would say it would not affect a car equiped with a cold air intake but its not true in my opinion,because a hot engine will raise the temperature of the air significantly before it counteracks with the gas and would be almost the same temp as a regular intake by the time it reaches the gas.So I don't now how to fix the problem but I bet ram air might help at highway speeds.Also generaly a transmision is quicker changing gears when it is cold,I believe that is true because heat expansion in the tranny makes things looser? Not possitive about that.You could get Don's VB mod that would solve the problem and your car would shift gears as quick as a 5speed.
Old 11-09-2000, 04:09 AM
Got Bent?

Cold air will generally improve an engine's performance. Cold air is denser and is better for combustion because of this. That is why you feel a bit of a performance boost in cold weather. I am not sure why the transmission would shift quicker, but I know that excess heat is the main reson why transmission's fail.
Old 11-09-2000, 04:58 AM
JJW

Uhh...mebbie as the engine warms the ATF thins out? Thicker fluid would be slightly more 'responsive' no? I have to be careful not to rev my car over 2500rpms before it gets up to normal operating temp but I've always found that a car is more willing to go when it's engine is warm. Cool temps outside are just gravy.

Jim