General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

bedding in Poterfields

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 12:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

bedding in Poterfields

I'm getting the car today, with new AGXs and new brakes/rotors.

Could anyone provide me with a good bedding in procedure? I'm getting the R4S brakes, and it would be great if I know exactly what to do when I pick up the car.

I've used the search function, but it's only gotten me more curious about what method I should use.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:36 PM

website

http://www.baer.com/bedding_street/

I found this site. I'm getting new rotors...should I follow their seasoning procedure?? It says 5-6 days of gentle driving? I can't wait that long ...knowing I have my AGXs and all...
Old 12-22-2001, 12:39 PM
SLOW

Re: website

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
http://www.baer.com/bedding_street/

I found this site. I'm getting new rotors...should I follow their seasoning procedure?? It says 5-6 days of gentle driving? I can't wait that long ...knowing I have my AGXs and all...
You'd better follow the procedure or you will ruin your brand new pads. I just posted a bedding procedure I used in the 4th gen forum... not more than 5 minutes ago. Check it out.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:46 PM

Should I follow your procedure? or the seasoning/bedding procedure on the site?

Your procedure sounds more reasonable...
Old 12-22-2001, 12:53 PM
SLOW

Well Baer certainly knows more about brakes than I do. My procedure was given to me by Brian, the owner of Fastbrakes.com. I haven't had any problems with my pads and rotors, besides the fact that they are noisy. I don't think thats a product of my bedding procedure though. I road race on these brakes and have never had a problem with fade, so the procedure I used has worked fine for me.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:57 PM

well I'm about to get the car right now. It's Christmas time, and I doubt I'll find an empty parking lot anywhere.

I have 2 questions before I go:

Is the procedure you gave for new rotors AND new pads? Would the procedure change drastically if it wasn't?

And I want to give the car a good wash right when I get home...but I've heard not to apply the parking brake while the pads cool. Would water harm the brand new rotors? (On my old ones..I use the clean them with a wire brush and they'd get all rusty after a wash)

Thanks
Old 12-22-2001, 01:07 PM
SLOW

I had new rotors and pads at the same time, however I've heard it recommended that you do one or the other first.

Just leave your car in park or in 1st if you are 5 speed while washing it. Unless you live on a 45 degree hill your car won't move. I never use my parking brake period, except when the car is running and I'm out of it. Using the parking brake while rotors are hot can cause premature warpage.

I wouldn't scrub my rotors with steel wool or a wire brush or anything. That rust will dissappear the first few times you hit your brakes anyways. Unless you are worried about the part of the rotor that is not contacted by the pad. Scrubbing the rotor with steel wool probably won't hurt anything, since that's what pads do to them basically. But pads do it very progressively and uniformly, unlike someone doing it by hand. I'd just not do it, alot of work that will be done when you hit your brakes anyways.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:11 PM

thanks for your help. I was referring to wiring brushing (a wire wheel attachment on a drill) the surface that is NOT in contact with rotor, like the hub. It's a little annyoing when that gets rusted.

I'm going to pick up the car now...I'll come back with a review!
Old 12-22-2001, 03:13 PM
Keven97SE

Re: bedding in Poterfields

Don't use Baer's bedding procedure to bed Porterfield pads. How 'bout using Porterfield's instructions?

For Porterfields, you basically need to beat the crap out of them the first drive. Do ~5 HARD stops from ~50/60 mph. Your brakes will turn to mush and will smoke, but this IS the right way to bed them. You heat up and drive out the organics in the pad this way. After the beating, drive around for 15 minutes and try to use the brakes as little as possible. You're letting the brakes cool. Make sure you drive around where there's little traffic, as your brakes will suck.

THIS is the right way to bed Porterfields. They won't work right if you don't bed them this way.

But don't trust me. Contact Porterfield and get the info directly from them.

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
I'm getting the car today, with new AGXs and new brakes/rotors.

Could anyone provide me with a good bedding in procedure? I'm getting the R4S brakes, and it would be great if I know exactly what to do when I pick up the car.

I've used the search function, but it's only gotten me more curious about what method I should use.