General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got my leather from Leatherseat.com. Got a question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 09:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Got my leather from Leatherseat.com. Got a question..

First off, the leather seat covers are incredible. I can't wait to install them. I got a two-tone setup with black/charcoal. The black makes up the sides and back while the dark charcoal makes up the center insert. It is a mild contrast and looks very BMW like. My Maxima is black with the black/charcoal interior (cloth).

I noticed on the front seat top cover there are no holes for the headrests. Is this something I need to cut out? I'm assuming they intentionally do it this way. I figure I'll install the cover and find the headrest hole and I'll make a slit. Is this what you did?

Dave
Old 12-27-2001, 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Got my leather from Leatherseat.com. Got a question..

Originally posted by Dave B
First off, the leather seat covers are incredible. I can't wait to install them. I got a two-tone setup with black/charcoal. The black makes up the sides and back while the dark charcoal makes up the center insert. It is a mild contrast and looks very BMW like. My Maxima is black with the black/charcoal interior (cloth).

I noticed on the front seat top cover there are no holes for the headrests. Is this something I need to cut out? I'm assuming they intentionally do it this way. I figure I'll install the cover and find the headrest hole and I'll make a slit. Is this what you did?

Dave
Ooo, I hope I get my kit tomarrow! I have no clue about the headrests, email Eric at leather seats.com , he should know.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:52 PM

Sounds nice Dave! Can't wait to see what these look like, doing to do the install yourself?
Old 12-27-2001, 10:16 PM

How much did you all pay for ur kits?
Old 12-27-2001, 10:19 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

man.... It freaking sucks being broke!!!! I want one so bad....

Dave, Ethan and the rest of the guys who got in on this deal.. please post some pics for me to drool over

by the way, www.leatherseats.com has installation directions... I haven't read through them, but I'd check it out, maybe they mention something about the problem you are seeing....

post pics guys.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:22 PM

YOu guys do know that this is a maxima right?

Old 12-27-2001, 10:24 PM

inside of a 2k max

Old 12-27-2001, 10:35 PM

How much does a whole set cost? $500+?
Old 12-27-2001, 10:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Cumalot
How much does a whole set cost? $500+?
around 700$-750$ i believe..
Old 12-27-2001, 10:41 PM

Dave
Yep, after installing the cover, feel around for the two holes. Punch in the center of the hole, then slowly cut the hole larger to the correct size. Re-insert the plastic guides (make sure the guide that is for the notched post is in the corresponding side).
Old 12-27-2001, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

around 700$-750$ i believe..

Wow, nevermind then. For that amount of money, I rather use it to get NOS or a kit.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Wow, nevermind then. For that amount of money, I rather use it to get NOS or a kit.
The group deal came to $630, then I added perforated leather $30 + shipping, all together about $700.

I will post pics as soon as I install them!
Old 12-27-2001, 11:13 PM

FYI, I still have a complete set for a 4 gen from Leatherseats.com in "nutmeg" which is a darker shade of tan then the OE leather in the tan interior. They include all the seats, the door inserts, headrests as well as the rear pass thru thing. They have NEVER been installed, and I won them at Maxus 2001. My car already has the OE leather, so theres really no point in me keeping the additional seats. If anybody would be interested shoot me an email/pm.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by emax95

The group deal came to $630, then I added perforated leather $30 + shipping, all together about $700.

I will post pics as soon as I install them!
There is much $$$ to be made in auto parts to say the least. I thought the factory was a rip-off, but that price takes the cake! I added a leather seat to my family room for only $499, and it's 100% leather with Russian fir frame made in Italy. List was $999. Car seats are actually about 80% vinyl, which is pretty cheap to manufacture. The auto aftermarket leaves a very sour taste for many. Why do you have to cut-out holes yourself for the headrests? My car had a slit from the dealer, and over a months time the slit grew from 1/4" to 3" long. Lucky they replaced it under warranty.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

There is much $$$ to be made in auto parts to say the least. I thought the factory was a rip-off, but that price takes the cake! I added a leather seat to my family room for only $499, and it's 100% leather with Russian fir frame made in Italy. List was $999. Car seats are actually about 80% vinyl, which is pretty cheap to manufacture. The auto aftermarket leaves a very sour taste for many. Why do you have to cut-out holes yourself for the headrests? My car had a slit from the dealer, and over a months time the slit grew from 1/4" to 3" long. Lucky they replaced it under warranty.
The seat covers from Leatherseats.com is nearly 100% leather. These aren't just leather seating surfaces.

Dave
Old 12-28-2001, 05:54 AM

Dave
Dave,
This link will answer all of your questions.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....leather+pliers
Old 12-28-2001, 08:22 AM

That sounds familiar

Originally posted by ericdwong
FYI, I still have a complete set for a 4 gen from Leatherseats.com in "nutmeg" which is a darker shade of tan then the OE leather in the tan interior. They include all the seats, the door inserts, headrests as well as the rear pass thru thing. They have NEVER been installed, and I won them at Maxus 2001. My car already has the OE leather, so theres really no point in me keeping the additional seats. If anybody would be interested shoot me an email/pm.
Eric had that set available when I got in on the 2nd group deal from Leatherseats. I opted for the two-tone but the nutmeg was tempting at $200 less than the group price.