General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Custom leather door inserts, have they ever been done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Lightly modded

Custom leather door inserts, have they ever been done?

I would like to put some grey suede over my door inserts (currently leather), but searching turned up no results of people having done anything custom before. I seem to remember a company making leather seat covers and door inserts covers for us, but their name escapes me at the moment. The top two Google results are katzkin.com and leatherseats.com.

How hard would it be to get a sheet of suede and basically just pull it tight around the existing insert, glue it down, and reinstall it? I know it wouldn't have any stitching, and there's a possibility it will look goofy without it, but I can't imagine how much an upholstery shop would charge to do the job.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM

leatherseats.com makes good stuff!

to install the inserts you spray an upholstery adhesive, stick it over the factory cloth (or remove the factory insert if its leather) and use something like a butter knife or some other 'blunt' tool to tuck the edges in.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Just the tip.

I'd imagine it would look similar to the stock Maxima cloth inserts as they dont have stitching or padding. If you do it yourself it'd be similar to installing the inserts from Redline goods. I'd recommend getting some of that memory foam and make your own padding as well. But this is highly doable.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by carnalc30
leatherseats.com makes good stuff!

to install the inserts you spray an upholstery adhesive, stick it over the factory cloth (or remove the factory insert if its leather) and use something like a butter knife or some other 'blunt' tool to tuck the edges in.
So they make a kit for our door inserts? That's awesome!

I can't decide if I should try and locate a set of cloth panels or work with a leather set. How would I remove the leather, and wouldn't that also mean removing the padding underneath it? I was thinking that I would just glue it over the leather.

Where are you thinking I would tuck in the edges? I was thinking about just wrapping it around the back and stapling it to the panel.

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
I'd imagine it would look similar to the stock Maxima cloth inserts as they dont have stitching or padding. If you do it yourself it'd be similar to installing the inserts from Redline goods. I'd recommend getting some of that memory foam and make your own padding as well. But this is highly doable.
That memory foam is a great idea! And Redline is the name I was trying to remember! Does Redline make a kit for our door panels?

Last edited by 95maxrider; 12-06-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM

someone did some burnt orange ones. he had those with black interior and brushed aluminum trim pieces
Old 12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
someone did some burnt orange ones. he had those with black interior and brushed aluminum trim pieces
Do you remember his name? I'm curious to see how he attached them.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Do you remember his name? I'm curious to see how he attached them.
i do not. i was googling but i can't find the thread.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 PM

I've been thinking of this for a while now. I have cloth inserts with my upgraded leather seats. I was just thinking of ripping off the cloth inserts and buying 4X that amount at a fabric store and 'winging' it. Should be straight forward with some spray adhesive...
Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=60872

Im pretty sure this guy had some. ^^

Maybe go through the threads he started and it might be in there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Found thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...st-thread.html

Last edited by MAXXED_816; 12-06-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
That memory foam is a great idea! And Redline is the name I was trying to remember! Does Redline make a kit for our door panels?
They do. Max_dreamer got the inserts, armrest cover, and boots from them, but in leather. The material is good quality. He also added the memory foam underneath and they feel good. Nice and cushy. Not sure if they sell suede.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

Don't forget Metal Maxima's black and bone two-tone interior.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:14 PM

be careful suede can fade overtime from the elements!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Lightly modded

UPDATE!

So I bought my alcantara material and had half of it made into new shift and e-brake boots by Redline, and they did a pretty good job. For months I put off doing the door panels, but I finally got around to it, and after much trial and error, they look great!

I have been under the impression that if you have leather interior/door inserts that they just unclip from the back of the door panel and can be taken off easily. Well, I probably should have checked my car first before doing this whole project, because now I feel like I'm at a dead end.

Take a look at the spare panels I bought, notice the tabs on the back of it:

Name:  003_zpsf4348976.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  201.1 KB

Now look at the back side of my panel:
Name:  070_zps015c18d9.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  144.5 KB

See a problem? My door panels don't have the holes for the tabs on the back!!

So I got all this done:
Name:  016_zpseb7032cf.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  159.7 KB

And they don't appear to work with my door panels. From what I remember, the cloth door panels are just glued on as opposed to the leather ones with tabs on the back. This makes me think my car originally had cloth and had leather installed at the dealership, and thus I have the cloth style door panels without tabs. I get the feeling that if I want to use these new alcantara covered door inserts that I will have to find another set of black doors that originally came with leather and have the holes to mount this style insert. That would really suck, as I have lots of sound deadening on my front doors along with some aluminum lower panels that I'm not sure if I can remove cleanly without bending them to transfer to the new doors.....

Name:  059_zpsef78f744.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  220.6 KB

Or am I completely missing something and just being a moron? Does anyone have a picture of the backside of a door panel with stock leather inserts?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:11 PM

I simply bought a leather e-brake boot. Really nice leather for about $20 total. I have an extra shift boot for a 4th gen if anybody has a M/T and wants it
Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I simply bought a leather e-brake boot. Really nice leather for about $20 total. I have an extra shift boot for a 4th gen if anybody has a M/T and wants it
What are you talking about? Did you even read the thread? Put you stuff up for sale in your own thread!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM

^^If I get the chance I will pull one of my door panels off and let you know if there are holes for the insert
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nick, I added leather to my brothers stock cloth interior car a few years back. Once I got the cloth inserts off with a heat gun I just straightened out the tabs on the leather inserts and marked on the door panel where the tabs lined up and then used a dremel to create new holes/slots for them to go in. Then just bent the tabs on the backside to lock them in place.

I am not sure how your current leather inserts are being held in but if you are able to get them out then you will just have to cut your own slots.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Requin6
Nick, I added leather to my brothers stock cloth interior car a few years back. Once I got the cloth inserts off with a heat gun I just straightened out the tabs on the leather inserts and marked on the door panel where the tabs lined up and then used a dremel to create new holes/slots for them to go in. Then just bent the tabs on the backside to lock them in place.

I am not sure how your current leather inserts are being held in but if you are able to get them out then you will just have to cut your own slots.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Paul! I'm glad to hear I have a viable option, I'll have to give that a try.