General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Close encounter last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 01:55 PM

Close encounter last night

I was on my way back home on main street in Fairfax (Northern Virginia) heading away from Fairfax City and I see a blue PT Cruiser almost hit one car coming out of a neighborhood. The guy/girl is obviously DUI so I back off a little when it veers from the right lane and side-swipes a '98 Accord in front of me and just takes off. The PT Cruiser almost lost control then but recovered.

Amazed at what I was seeing, I missed the plate, so I decided to chase it for awhile but damn that Cruiser took off. I was about 30 yards behind the accident when it occurred and it was a straight-away, so I just stomped on the gas. I caught up with the PT at around 65-70 (in a 35 zone) but he was going well over 90 and my contacts were fogged up so I couldn't get a good reading on the tag number and decided it want worth it.

I turned around and went back to the scene (I think it's a felony to flee the scene if you are a witness to an accident)and made a statement to the police.

I've always heard about all the drunk drivers out on New Years but I want expecting to see it up close.

Hope everyone stayed safe - Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Administrator

I thought this was a UFO thread
Old 01-01-2002, 02:32 PM

Why'd you stop? The cop woulda been mad that you had to speed to catch up to the drunk and that you left the scene, but if you came back with license plate tag number, the cop would probably have been more than happy. And so would all the other NYC drivers for takin another drunk off the streets and out of harms way.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Gamezilla
Why'd you stop? The cop woulda been mad that you had to speed to catch up to the drunk and that you left the scene, but if you came back with license plate tag number, the cop would probably have been more than happy. And so would all the other NYC drivers for takin another drunk off the streets and out of harms way.
I stopped because (a)I was already going 40 mph over the speed limit (b) if I would have been pulled over, cops most likely wouldnt have let me off the hook (c) it would have been a reckless ticket (d) I was following a DRUNK driver, no telling what he might do to me (e) once again, it really wasnt worth it.

I think they got him anyway(Washington Post Jan. 1):

VIRGINIA

Man Charged With DWI, Eluding Police

A motorist who appeared to be operating his vehicle erratically Saturday morning drove away from a police officer who tried to pull the vehicle over on Backlick Road in the Springfield area, Fairfax County police said yesterday. They said the driver then crashed the vehicle into a parked car and ran.

Police said they arrested Richard J. Trujillo, 21, of Annandale, in connection with the incident and charged him with speeding to elude, driving while intoxicated, driving on a suspended license, hit and run and refusing to take a breath or blood test.
-------------------------

The area he was caught is just too coincidental --no mention of PT Cruiser, but chances are, this was the guy.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by DCmax

I think they got him (Washington Post Jan. 1):

VIRGINIA

Man Charged With DWI, Eluding Police

A motorist who appeared to be operating his vehicle erratically Saturday morning drove away from a police officer who tried to pull the vehicle over on Backlick Road in the Springfield area, Fairfax County police said yesterday. They said the driver then crashed the vehicle into a parked car and ran.

Police said they arrested Richard J. Trujillo, 21, of Annandale, in connection with the incident and charged him with speeding to elude, driving while intoxicated, driving on a suspended license, hit and run and refusing to take a breath or blood test.
-------------------------

The area he was caught is just too coincidental --no mention of PT Cruiser, but chances are, this was the guy.
it was New Years Eve.. any other night i would say that.. but on New Years Eve.. they probably had 20 cases like that..
Old 01-01-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

it was New Years Eve.. any other night i would say that.. but on New Years Eve.. they probably had 20 cases like that..
True.

When the local papers come out tomorrow, they will most likely post a vehicle description.