General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I was bored so I did this to my G35 rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM

I was bored so I did this to my G35 rims

I recently picked up some G35 rims in very bad condition because I always liked these rims so I decided to repair it. I got like 5 sets of rims but it was just something to keep my occupied until I get my car back fromt the bodyshop. Did a pretty badass job on repairing the curb rash with fiber glass filler, regular filler and and primer. I have a compressor and a little knowledge about body work so I did a DIY'er.

I really didn't think about taking out before pics but i'll show what I have. Because the rims was in such bad condition I sanded it, filled it, and primed it and was gonna plasti dip it but I wasn't really feeling the dull look so I was gonna buy satin black can spray. I tried plasti dipping the center caps and that was a fail so I pealed it back off and whilen watching the game I got an idea.

Fail plati-dip
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps007.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  70.0 KB
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps009.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  134.7 KB
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps010.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  101.3 KB

So that look horrible so it pealed off the plati-dip. That when I had a idea and decied to experiment

Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps013.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps012.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  71.7 KB
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps014.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  64.5 KB
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps015-1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  103.1 KB

Did pretty good for an amateur. Becaue it came out better than the plasti-dip i'm gonna go with the vinyl wrap. I'm no novice when it comes to experimenting on my car so i'm gonna order the gloss black and wrap my new rims. I'f anyone done their rims with the wrap and have any advice feel free to share. Wish me luck

My fully restored G35 rims ready for the vinyl wrap
Name:  Carbonfibercentercaps002.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  120.7 KB
Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Vinyl wrapping wheels? Sounds like a major pita. I'd personally just paint them or have them powder coated.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Good Luck Man....
Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Powder coating isn't cheap and seeing that I have so many rims paying $50-100/rim to use for track and before and after winter is just pointless. The vinyl will cost me about $60 and time and I would have enough to do all the rims. If I use can spray i'll need about 3-4 cans, and if I do plasti-dip it would take 4-5 can to do 2-3 good coats. It's not going to be my every day rims so it's pointless for me to spend money to have it professionally done
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Are you sure vinyl could take the heat. especially the front wheels
Old 06-17-2012, 11:05 PM

well plasti dip is only like 7 bucks a can. so 4-5 cans are like 35bucks and itll save you alot more time and money.

but if you do wrap your wheels i would really like to see the outcome..
Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM

good luck on the wheels man. they look good if done right and you have the patients. your wheels are simple and there isn't much difficulty to the angles. im kinda digging the color they are right now. yes i understand its just primer haha. anyway, good luck and im excited to see how they turn out. oh check out youtube and there should be a could vids of people wrapping their wheels
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by altezzablazes
Are you sure vinyl could take the heat. especially the front wheels
Definitely can take heat. That's how it's applied and stretched. I've watched youtube clips and it looks do-able because the G35 rims doesn't have that much contoures to deal with so I think I should pull it off.

Originally Posted by CrazxyDominican
well plasti dip is only like 7 bucks a can. so 4-5 cans are like 35bucks and itll save you alot more time and money.

but if you do wrap your wheels i would really like to see the outcome..
Not here in Canada man. They buy them in bulk and sell them for $15-25 can depending on where you go, they must think I'm stupid. I don't like the plasti-dip on rims because a simple scratch could tear it and I don't like the dull look. I did my Z wheels with satin black and it came out pretty goo but decided to go gloss with the G rims.

The reason why I decided to go with the wrap is because it would be more costly and time consuming to base coat black water sand then clear coat. I seen a Nissan GT-R with wrap rims and it looked mean as hell. My only concern is should I wrap the rims then put on the tires or put on the tires then wrap the rims. I would hate if the vinyl to get damage during the tired installation

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 AM

vinyl wrap? you vinyl wrapping after the tires are installed right?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 AM

Not sure. Never done it before so i don't know if it can be done before the tire. The reason I want to do it before is because it will be easier to scretch the vinyl around the edges. I created the thread to see if anyone attempted or done a rim vinyl wrap. I don't know if a tire shop can install a tire without damaging the vinyl. I know when you buy a brand new rim they come with a ring protector and I've seen them use it to prevent it from scratching the rim.

So it's all trial and error. I'll probably do one and take it and see if it can be done.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 AM

i personally wouldnt vinyl, but it's your money. post pics when done
Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i personally wouldnt vinyl, but it's your money. post pics when done
I just want to do something different. Everyone is doing the plasti-dip and I'm not gonna powder coat rims that I'm gonna use to get to and from the track. It's an experiment that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Who knows, it might come out good and I could charge people to do theirs.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 AM

i thought wrapping in vinyl was expensive. if you're just using it for the track..i'd just throw some plastidip on it and call it a day.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 AM

The vinyl is gonna cost me around $60-70 and I'm gonna install it myself. I'll use the rims when I go to the track, before and after winter when I take off the 22's. I don't like the dull plati-dip though. If I was to can spray it I'd use the satin black, I'm sure it would hold up better tha the plasti-dip
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 AM

vinyl is not going to last, just but the duplicolor wheel paint and paint them black and clear coat it. do waste your time or money on vinyl wrap
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
vinyl is not going to last, just but the duplicolor wheel paint and paint them black and clear coat it. do waste your time or money on vinyl wrap
The rims won't be used daily. They were bought just to get to and from the track, before and after christmas when I'm not using my 22's. I already did the math and if I was to spray all four rims I'd need atleast 3-4 $18/can of duplicolour rim paint to cover inside out because it's all primer so it will take more to cover, and 1-2 cans $15/can.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 AM

i only used 2 cans, base coat, and had paint left over from the second, although not much...
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Got Retrofit?

The center caps came out a little rough but I'm interested to see how the wheels come out.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Do you have pics? Waht rims did you have, size and was it primed inside out?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 AM

when i did the G35s in my sig...i actually bought 3 cans of purp, didnt use all 3 cans. i was too lazy to take teh one can back it's in my collection of paint that hasnt been used right now
Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Ok. I'll get a can of duplicolour and try it on one, wrap one and see which one looks better. I'm going for a high gloss finish so I'll post pics of the precess

i only used 2 cans, base coat, and had paint left over from the second, although not much...
Will any high gloss Duplicolour work? There was one specifically for rims but there was no high gloss, just a flat colour so I bought the high gloss enamel. If it looks good I'll save the wrap for something else.

I'll clearcoat it too to give it that high gloss finish

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
The center caps came out a little rough but I'm interested to see how the wheels come out.
I agree, but remember this was just and idea I had whie I was watching the heats beat up the OKC. I found a exzacto blade laying around so that's why it's not clean. So I'll get the proper tools if I decide to wrap the rims

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Will any high gloss Duplicolour work? There was one specifically for rims but there was no high gloss, just a flat colour so I bought the high gloss enamel. If it looks good I'll save the wrap for something else.

I'll clearcoat it too to give it that high gloss finish
personally...i'll never 'base' clear coat rattle can wheels ever again..if you want shine, just get gloss
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM

personally...i'll never 'base' clear coat rattle can wheels ever again..if you want shine, just get gloss
I can't seem to find a good gloss rim paint. The one I bought was a fail. Can you refer one?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM

So I tried the Duplicolour can spray and it's the exact opposite to what i'm looking for. This is what I used

Name:  Paintedrimsanddragrims008.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  148.1 KB

This was the finish result with no clear. Not liking it at all

Name:  Paintedrimsanddragrims010.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  131.8 KB

So if there's anyone out there who know the highest gloss spray in a can or how you can get the highest shine please help. There is no way i'll settle for this. I tried the paint, next i'll do the vinyl and if it don't come out good i'll paint it myself with this

Name:  Paintedrimsanddragrims011.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  102.0 KB

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 06-21-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

You can get great a high gloss finish with rattle can clear. No need to use an hvlp gun. If you are patient you can get oem finish and results. WetSand your current topcoat with 1200 grit sand paper. Remove any dust or particles. Let dry. spray a light coat of clear. Let dry and wetsand with 1500-2000 grit sand paper. Repeat this process with the clear 2-3 additional times and dassssiiit. Finish it off with some rubbing compound and wax after it cures a few days later.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM

THe best clear coat I have found, and I've used LOTS, is the Dupli-Color engine enamel clear. It gives the best shine and obviously meant for metal
Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by lulz
You can get great a high gloss finish with rattle can clear. No need to use an hvlp gun. If you are patient you can get oem finish and results. WetSand your current topcoat with 1200 grit sand paper. Remove any dust or particles. Let dry. spray a light coat of clear. Let dry and wetsand with 1500-2000 grit sand paper. Repeat this process with the clear 2-3 additional times and dassssiiit. Finish it off with some rubbing compound and wax after it cures a few days later.
Honestly man I really don't have the patients to paint, wet sand multiple times and them clearcoat. It's costly, and time consuming and that's why I the gloss vinyl wrap was my next option. I already bought two wrong cans and i'm not pleased with the outcome, so i'm gonna try the vinyl wrap and if that doesn't look good i'll go back to the base gloss black with clearcoat.

I just wish I could find a good high performance gloss black and clearcoat
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
THe best clear coat I have found, and I've used LOTS, is the Dupli-Color engine enamel clear. It gives the best shine and obviously meant for metal
Appreciate it man. I bought an acrylic so i'm sure that's why the results was so poor. If I try the vinyl and it comes out bad i'll get the enamel gloss black and clearcoat. If you can post a pic i'd appreciate it
Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 PM

I bought 2 cans of satin black to match the car and decided to use it on the rims. I gave it 2 base coats and 2 clearcoats and it came out pretty good. So i'm gonna water sand it one more time and clearcoat it for ultimate shine

Dry sand
Name:  VINYLWRAPANDRIMS001.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  135.8 KB

Water sand
Name:  VINYLWRAPANDRIMS002.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  174.2 KB

Duplicolour wax and grease remover
Name:  VINYLWRAPANDRIMS004.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  171.3 KB

First coat of satin black
Name:  VINYLWRAPANDRIMS005.jpg
Size:  145.5 KB

1st clear coat
Name:  VINYLWRAPANDRIMS006.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  136.1 KB

2nd clear and finished product
Name:  VINYLWRAPANDRIMS009.jpg
Size:  166.3 KB
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM

The satin black came out really good.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
The satin black came out really good.
It was very time consuming but it I can keep this gloss I'll be happy. The rims reminds me of the GT-R rims
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM

it looks good but if it were me I wouldve used gloss paint and gloss clear if my goal was a gloss finish
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
it looks good but if it were me I wouldve used gloss paint and gloss clear if my goal was a gloss finish
I asked for the glossiest of gloss and clear and that's what they gave me . So I had satin black left over from my Z rims and decided to experiment seeing that I couldn't find a really good gloss black. It came out pretty good but the clear had a lot of drips and is dried so I have to water sand it out and clear it again. Hopefully the paint doesn't get scraped off during the tire installation
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM

I asked for the glossiest of gloss and clear and that's what they gave me . So I had satin black left over from my Z rims and decided to experiment seeing that I couldn't find a really good gloss black. It came out pretty good but the clear had a lot of drips and is dried so I have to water sand it out and clear it again. Hopefully the paint doesn't get scraped off during the tire installation
Well that sucks I picked up some clear from Lowes a while back that is epic. Comes out super glossy. I'll post a pic of something I painted with it...I'll also go snap a pic of the can
Old 06-24-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Well that sucks I picked up some clear from Lowes a while back that is epic. Comes out super glossy. I'll post a pic of something I painted with it...I'll also go snap a pic of the can
Trust me man. Some of these automotive store clerks don't have the slightest Idea what they're selling and I din't get not one person to post a pic of a good quality gloss and the finish product so I had to take a chance. Wasted my money to buy the duplicolour high gloss paint, I was the dullest gloss I've ever used
Old 06-25-2012, 04:40 PM

The finished product. I gotta admit the satin black with clear coat came out pretty good.

Name:  NEWPAINTEDRIMS002.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  NEWPAINTEDRIMS003.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  NEWPAINTEDRIMS001.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  129.1 KB
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM

The satin black came out so good that I had to do my 350Z rims too.

Satin base coat with one clear

Name:  G35and350Zrims008.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  143.1 KB

Satin base with two clear coats. Finished product
Name:  G35and350Zrims007.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  159.0 KB

I don't need two of them but I'm contemplating which to keep. I love the G35 but it's not staggered. Like the Z but they are heavier and the G35 wheels have better tires.
Name:  G35and350Zrims010.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  G35and350Zrims015.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  G35and350Zrims017.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  108.1 KB

What do you all think?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 AM

G35 > 350z easily
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM

What do you all think?
i say keep the G35's, what are the specs on the wheels (G35's)?

why not sell boths sets and use that money to buy after market wheels?

Quick Reply: I was bored so I did this to my G35 rims