General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OT: Infiniti G35 at LA Auto show

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 10:34 PM

OT: Infiniti G35 at LA Auto show

I only mention this because the G35 has been getting some attention here and for some it is being considered an alternative to the Max. Or perhaps the G35 is one half of the vice that the Maxima finds itself in, with the Altima squeezing on the other side. At the end of this I'll tell you how it figures in my search for a new car, which began when my 95 Maxima was totalled last month.

First, there is nothing I can really tell you except my impressions and you really will need to see the car for yourself. Furthermore, the car was locked (most of the cars at the show you can sit in; some even have power so you can play the radio). I didn't grill anyone on the specifics, so don't rely on the data I'll give you. The model (silver exterior with black leather) was described as a fully loaded model.

From the outside the car looked great, reminding me of the Altima in terms of general size and shape, but perhaps a bit more 'svelt' and sleek, particularly at the rear end (I suspect this translates to 'not much trunk room'). The LED tailights were hard to evaluate in the light of the convention hall, but struck me as different enough to be interesting, but not so different that they looked silly (if you know what I mean). I would not describe this car as being flashy by any means.

Looking at it dead on from the front, the hood and the fenders have their share of curves and ridges, and both my wife and I commented that the total effect was a definite plus.

My first impression of the interior can be summed up in one word: snug. That's not necessarily a negative, and it's just relative to the Maxima -- where I've spent most of my car time for the past 12 years. If you think "slightly roomier than an IS300 and better quality" then you are in the ballpark. The fact that some of the seat(?) controls are on top of the driver's seat (the more I think about it the stranger that placement seems; unsure about passenger side) adds to the sense that the seats aren't that wide. A smaller-than-Maxima steering wheel added a very sporty look.

Where things will be particularly tight are in the back seats, not only in leg room, but keep in mind that this rear wheel drive car has the drive shaft tunnel to contend with as well. Room for five?

The back seats have an unusual, independent reclining feature. While this is a nice touch, I was surprised how it was handled: The gap between each seat back and the rear deck is simply spanned by the fabric material that covers the rear deck. As the seat reclines, the fabric simply drops down into an ever increasing, u-shaped canyon. The canyon remains if the seat is forward as well. It struck me as a dirt trap and not a particularly elegant way to span the gap (I could envision a series of sliding flat metal plates, or perhaps plastic plates that would look nicer and even "sportier." This is the only real negative I would cite about what I saw in the car.

It was hard to see the dash console through the window, but generally everything looked nice (fairly plain) and you can get your own views of course at http://www.infiniti.com (see "future models").

The pitch man was saying that prices had not been set but were expected to be from $28,000 for the base model (cloth seats) "up to the mid 30's, 35 or 36 thousand" which is where leather, a nav system, and sportier suspension come in. The woman behind the desk said that it had "260 horsepower and 262 torque" (sic). They didn't have any brochures on the car to hand out. They both said that the cars were hitting the dealers in March, which is a bit earlier than the website predicts (April).

The G35's target may be the IS300 and the BMW 3 series, but there was another contender that was at the show, a surprise to me at least: the Volkswagon Passat W8 (the '8' refers to an engine where it looks like two 4 cylinder engines have been squeezed together -- HP was quoted to be in the 270's). All wheel drive, tiptronic and $38,000, though not out yet. The VW interior left me a bit cold (as it always does). While the price may take the VW out of this particular competition, between any of these and the G35, I'd pick the G35.

But do I pick it over the Maxima? The reason I love Maximas is the value you get. I don't think there is any other sedan that comes close in the [style, quality, power, luxury]-to-[price] ratio. And for me, the Maxima fits my lifestyle better, (I'm 46 and use the car for family and business). With the recently announced $1,000 rebates on Maxima, and the push on the Altimas (a Nissan salesman at the show confirmed that Maximas are slow to sell right now), a great Maxima deal awaits (I don't think you'll be seeing great deals on G35's for a while).

Your mileage may vary, especially for the racer types here.

The G35 looks like a winner to me and I will envy, somewhat, those who will own them, but my plan is to buy a 2002 Maxima and apply the savings toward an old Lotus.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:45 PM
PhatGuy

Excellent write up!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2002, 04:51 AM

nice writeup... wish I can be there....
oh well... maybe I will go to the Chicago Autoshow this year.. maybe the Detroit one...
Old 01-07-2002, 05:29 AM

I still don't get why the front seats have some controls on the inboard side...

I also thought it looked great, the way the area headlight and behind are raised up compared to the rest of the hood reminded me of Porsche design. But that 350Z was the best, the reaction from the people was excellent
Old 01-07-2002, 07:21 AM

Re: OT: Infiniti G35 at LA Auto show

According to the info Infinity sent me the car is only available with a 5 speed manu matic tranny, any word on that at the show?
Old 01-07-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: OT: Infiniti G35 at LA Auto show

Originally posted by jran76
According to the info Infinity sent me the car is only available with a 5 speed manu matic tranny, any word on that at the show?
That's what was in the car; no mention was made about the availability of a true manual transmission.

I sort of kick myself for not asking for more info. I wasn't really planning to post anything here about the car -- I was just going to the show to figure out whether to go G35 or Maxima. When I checked the forum and saw nobody had posted anything, I just posted what I recalled.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:15 AM

I cant wait for a G35 test driev. I miss my old RWD so much.

SuDZ
Old 01-07-2002, 11:44 AM

Hmmm >>

Originally posted by jran76
The drivetrain is shared with the Z...so a 6-speed manual is possible...but then again, since it's sold under the Infiniti name, they might forgoe the option due to it's non-luxury conotation. My hope was that the Maxima be sold as a cheaper version of this car...but those hopes were dashed with the introduction of the larger Altima.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:45 PM

I believe that also the coupe version will have different horsepower setting as the sedan version...
Old 01-09-2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris
But that 350Z was the best, the reaction from the people was excellent
Absolutely.

The G35 didn't really draw a crowd, believe it or not. It was on a rotating turntable that you could actually walk on and peek in the window. In retrospect the lack of throngs around the car surprises me; I went to the show primarily to see a G35!

It's probably because the G35's design, which I found to be very nice, isn't particularly radical or stunning (though I think the front end metal work is great...it's just subtle).

The Z (a Japanese RHD model; a "Fair Lady" if I remember right) had crowds three or four deep surrounding the turntable (which you couldn't get on).

As posted elsewhere, http://www.infiniti.com has G35 colors, options, and pricing on its web page now
Old 01-09-2002, 11:55 PM

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Nismo
Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag!!!
haha i didnt read it, im saving it for the 12th

hey ludacris how'd you park your car like that in the middle of the street?
Old 01-10-2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by seouljah

haha i didnt read it, im saving it for the 12th

hey ludacris how'd you park your car like that in the middle of the street?
LAPD blocked the street off for me jk

I was out with my friends on New Years and downtown was so empty so I just took some pix