General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

FP and EGT Guage Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 11:47 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

FP and EGT Guage Install questions

I just ordered AutoMeter FP and EGT guages and had some install questions...

FP: I'm assuming that the guage comes with a sender that "Tee's" into a fuel line somewhere. Where is that? Near the fuel filter?

EGT: Does the guage kit (ordered from summitracing.com) come with the sensor that needs to be installed into the y-pipe? Where does that sensor get installed, after two pipes from the front and rear bank come together?

Any other tips or hints? Anyone have any write-ups?
Old 01-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Re: FP and EGT Guage Install questions

Originally posted by ejj5875
I just ordered AutoMeter FP and EGT guages and had some install questions...
Fabulous

FP: I'm assuming that the guage comes with a sender that "Tee's" into a fuel line somewhere. Where is that? Near the fuel filter?
nope.. comes with sender.. gauge and wires.. you will have to make a home depot run.. for a tee fitting and connectors.. bring your FP Saftey switch so you can get one for both the sendor and the FP saftey switch..

oh btw... i put my sender and FPSS between the Fuel Filter and the Connection to the engine

EGT: Does the guage kit (ordered from summitracing.com) come with the sensor that needs to be installed into the y-pipe? Where does that sensor get installed, after two pipes from the front and rear bank come together?
depends.. some kits come with probes some do note.. depends on which one you ordred.. if you didn't pay more than $160 .. then you don't have the probe kit i think..

you put the probe in the rear bank y pipe coming down from the engine..

Any other tips or hints? Anyone have any write-ups?
only the search function can help you know
Old 01-07-2002, 12:36 PM
ejj

Re: Re: FP and EGT Guage Install questions

Originally posted by SprintMax

depends.. some kits come with probes some do note.. depends on which one you ordred.. if you didn't pay more than $160 .. then you don't have the probe kit i think..

you put the probe in the rear bank y pipe coming down from the engine..
Well, I didn't pay $160...I paid like $70 something. So I assume I have to puy the probe seperatly now. Just the AutoMeter one, or is there a different one that would be better?

Why the rear bank? Because it would go lean first?
Old 01-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

somebody else is watching closly here
Old 01-07-2002, 12:55 PM
ejj

Originally posted by theblue
somebody else is watching closly here
Hey, how the hell can I get ahold of you when you're at work. Your PM box is full, your not on the IMer...

Email (or PM) me with your work email and phone #.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: FP and EGT Guage Install questions

Well, I didn't pay $160...I paid like $70 something. So I assume I have to puy the probe seperatly now. Just the AutoMeter one, or is there a different one that would be better?
i don't think the probe's matter..

Why the rear bank? Because it would go lean first?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=76947
Old 01-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You will need to buy some fittings to install the fp sender. I have mine after the fuel filter and before the stock FPR.

Your EGT probably didn't come with a probe.
Check here for the probe.
http://www.autometer.com/hp/2001_cat...sories/90.html
Old 01-07-2002, 04:34 PM
Ramius83

Sprint, is it ok for the probe to be installed in the y-pipe where the two exhaust down-folds meet together?

Old 01-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Ramius83
Sprint, is it ok for the probe to be installed in the y-pipe where the two exhaust down-folds meet together?
thas where mine is.. muffler shop guy wasn't listening to me.. but it probably just won't be as accurate.. i am not really sure
Old 01-11-2002, 07:19 AM
ejj

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, are all these probs the same? I am assuming that the ATM-5249 probe will work fine. Am I correct?

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rchtype%3Decat

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, are all these probs the same? I am assuming that the ATM-5249 probe will work fine. Am I correct?

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rchtype%3Decat

Thanks.
yes.. and i am not following you around
Old 01-11-2002, 07:21 AM
ejj

Also, looking at the sender for the FPSS and FP guage they look like they do the same thing?

Can I just tap the FP guage wires into those coming from the FP Sensor for the FPSS?

This: http://www.rit.edu/~ejjfac/maxima/NOS/nos2.jpg

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:23 AM
ejj

yes.. and i am not following you around

I should just quit posting and PM you my questions directly. Thanks agian.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Also, looking at the sender for the FPSS and FP guage they look like they do the same thing?

Can I just tap the FP guage wires into those coming from the FP Sensor for the FPSS?

This: http://www.rit.edu/~ejjfac/maxima/NOS/nos2.jpg

Thanks again.
No..

the FPSS has two connections.. ground from the Solenoid and Ground going to the other Solenoid.. i can't remember which to which but its in the manual.. but its only ground connections..

the Sender has three connections i think.. and one is ground.. DO NOT.. use that ground with the FPSS.. oh and the FPSS .. even though Matt will get mad.. me, nor synki has hooked it up.. actually I think Matt is the only one running NOS who has actually connected his FPSS

its a b!tch to tune the FPSS.. if you want instructions from that.. i can tell you.. but its going to take some time to write up.. i gotta pull what Matt told me from memory..

Seriously Matt .. you need to buy like 3 FPSS .. tune them.. and sell them to ppl for a core..
Old 01-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I should just quit posting and PM you my questions directly. Thanks agian.
no.. pm's don't count towards post count keep posting .. its so others can learn also.. they might have simular questions.. and my pm's won't show up in the search function
Old 01-11-2002, 07:31 AM
ejj

No..

the FPSS has two connections.. ground from the Solenoid and Ground going to the other Solenoid.. i can't remember which to which but its in the manual.. but its only ground connections..

the Sender has three connections i think.. and one is ground.. DO NOT.. use that ground with the FPSS.. oh and the FPSS .. even though Matt will get mad.. me, nor synki has hooked it up.. actually I think Matt is the only one running NOS who has actually connected his FPSS

its a b!tch to tune the FPSS.. if you want instructions from that.. i can tell you.. but its going to take some time to write up.. i gotta pull what Matt told me from memory..

Seriously Matt .. you need to buy like 3 FPSS .. tune them.. and sell them to ppl for a core..
Bummer. Can adding all these T's and sensors to the fuel line drop pressure?

I plan on installing the FPSS, I don't really care that its going to be a pain to tune. I figured I'd pick up a mechanical FP guage as well and put it into the engine bay like Matt did. I figure that would make tuning the FPSS a lot easier.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Bummer. Can adding all these T's and sensors to the fuel line drop pressure?
the fuel flare jet will determine the PSI you run at.. the .042 jet the kit somes with is adequate from 40 - 70 shot.. the Sensors and and all that stuff won't do anything to the pressure but monitor it..

I plan on installing the FPSS, I don't really care that its going to be a pain to tune. I figured I'd pick up a mechanical FP guage as well and put it into the engine bay like Matt did. I figure that would make tuning the FPSS a lot easier.
ha..

wait till you see the instructions to tune it .. .. it involves multiple runs with NOS.. disconnected solenoids.. connected solenoids.. test light.. pulling over on the highway.. sheesh..
Old 01-11-2002, 08:11 AM
ejj

the fuel flare jet will determine the PSI you run at.. the .042 jet the kit somes with is adequate from 40 - 70 shot.. the Sensors and and all that stuff won't do anything to the pressure but monitor it..

ha..

wait till you see the instructions to tune it .. .. it involves multiple runs with NOS.. disconnected solenoids.. connected solenoids.. test light.. pulling over on the highway.. sheesh..
Yeah, I know it will be a *****, but I think it will be worth it. The last thing I want to do is screw up my engine like some people aroud here have done.

Do you have the instructions somewhere? That would rock.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Administrator

no .. i can ither..

a) type them up from memory..
b) link matt to this thread and hope he will type them up..

I will do b.. but if no response i will do a

Yeah, I know it will be a *****, but I think it will be worth it. The last thing I want to do is screw up my engine like some people aroud here have done.

Do you have the instructions somewhere? That would rock.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:19 AM
ejj

no .. i can ither..

a) type them up from memory..
b) link matt to this thread and hope he will type them up..

I will do b.. but if no response i will do a

Don't worry about them then. I'm not even close to installing the kit yet. Hell, I don't even have it all yet.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Don't worry about them then. I'm not even close to installing the kit yet. Hell, I don't even have it all yet.

eff the FPSS