General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

More on cryo treating parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:00 AM

More on cryo treating parts

Ok I dropped off my transmission gears today to get them cryogenically treated so they wont blow up again. I went to www.cryogenicprocessing.com which is right near my home, so no shipping costs. When I was there I saw there humongous 500 gallon tank of liquid nitrogen as well as their freezer box which looks large enough to fit my CBR600F4i in there.

This really got my juices flowin. Now I'm considering getting my clutch (i gotta check if they can do the actual disc), the pressure plate and the flywheel done to further improve the character of my ACT MM clutch. If I got a big brake upgrade, I'd definately do the rotors, but so far I've had no problem with warping rotors.

I'm thinking- suspension parts that are prone to wear that need tensile strength will also benefit. If I ever get springs for this car, I'm definately going to cryo treat the springs so they will hopefully last longer. Even sway bars may benefit from this.

I also did some more research and came up with this very informative paper http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...operties&hl=en . From everything I've read and from what I've talked to people, there is nothing bad about cryo treatment except for the downtime and the cost. It also is not just a snake-oil smoke screen placebo process that does not work either.

After hearing about the benefits of strengthening and stress relieving metals and other materials, I thought to myself wow, what else could I cryo treat? My female-friend-with-benefits bought me a pocket knife as a gift tonite. I am going to have its blade cryo treated as well. This along with cooking utensils, tools, musical instruments, baseball bats, golf clubs, speaker parts, guns and of course car parts!
Old 01-09-2002, 12:04 AM

how odd...you're a cryo-treatin maniac now!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how much does it cost?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:23 AM

$1000? Good lord! My 2 tranny gears didnt cost nearly that much. I'm also not getting the case done, as I really dont see any point in doing the case. I thought about doing the Quaife, but that thing should be OK, given its lifetime warranty even when raced...

Was yours just a freeze and back to room temperture, or was yours a freeze followed by a 300 degree heat tempering?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 AM
i SeE what you did therE

damn.. i would love to do the tranny.. too rich for my blood though
Old 01-09-2002, 09:00 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

eric had a basic procedure done which is only a few hundred, good enough to extend life of your tranny, what I did was for the ultimate bullet proof tranny to hold down 400hp+

-Peace
interesting.... i might have to look into this.. thanks!!
Old 01-09-2002, 09:16 AM

$1000 seems very expensive for what was done. The shop I went to charges $995 before discounts for a complete engine with a complete transmission AND the clutch with flywheel and pressure plate.

I was also cut a deal for my 2 gear shafts, but I cannot disclose how much they charged me for. I'll look into getting my clutch stuff as well as the final drive gear with its bolts done as that seems to be the second weakest link now.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:33 AM

eric...I have to ask....why...if you dislike your car so much....are you putting so much cash into it????? If I were you...I'd just buy a tranny from a junkyard for a few hundred bucks...and use that until you get rid of the car...I highly doubt you'll have another gear failure before the time when you'd get rid of the car. How many miles did your first failure occur at?????
Old 01-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I want!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:03 AM

eric had a basic procedure done which is only a few hundred, good enough to extend life of your tranny, what I did was for the ultimate bullet proof tranny to hold down 400hp+

-Peace
Hey man, this sounds like a definite idea for me to look into.... Could you email me with the company and a possibly phone number/website for me?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-09-2002, 10:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

You could try your Ding-Dong.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: More on cryo treating parts

Try these guys... http://www.onecryo.com/ highly recomended. Lots of info here PLUS there PRICES seem MUCH better! http://www.onecryo.com/onecryo/motorspt-pricing.htm
Old 01-09-2002, 10:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

The cryo place did that also?

Eric, I paid for what I got done.

It goes further than stress relief and heat treating. Polishing, Coatings, and balancing.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

Oh okay. You didn't mention it in the two previous posts regarding what you got done for $1000. Thanks

The now defunct ELP Motorsport.

Now working through HSM Racing.

-Peace
Old 01-09-2002, 04:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

If I were to be a J*ckass, I would ask for pics

Why would that offend you anyway?

Go read the posts again.

J*ckass.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
eric...I have to ask....why...if you dislike your car so much....are you putting so much cash into it????? If I were you...I'd just buy a tranny from a junkyard for a few hundred bucks...and use that until you get rid of the car...I highly doubt you'll have another gear failure before the time when you'd get rid of the car. How many miles did your first failure occur at?????
I already bought a new/used transmission. $250 for a 16,000 mile transmission, but it had a busted case. However all the other parts were really new. No matter though, I just used my 1/2 of the case from my old tranny and reshimed all the components inside. My 2 shafts are being treated as we speak right now.

Anyway, I'm a poor college student who only works part time, bought a new motorcycle back in april and cannot suck anymore money out of the parents. My car is paid off right now and I DO NOT want any new car payments. It would be cheaper for me to mod the car $200+ each month, rather then trade it in for the $10,000 its worth with its miserable resale value, taking a huge hit on depreciation and then financing the rest. Further, there is no $10,000 car on the road that will satisfy my taste in speed and luxury (except a motorcycle, but thats already taken care of).

When I get a real job, I will move on and buy somethin else~ and its not gonna be a nissan either.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

""Information
Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster""

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=90025

Read it and you'll understand.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong

I already bought a new/used transmission. $250 for a 16,000 mile transmission, but it had a busted case. However all the other parts were really new. No matter though, I just used my 1/2 of the case from my old tranny and reshimed all the components inside. My 2 shafts are being treated as we speak right now.

Anyway, I'm a poor college student who only works part time, bought a new motorcycle back in april and cannot suck anymore money out of the parents. My car is paid off right now and I DO NOT want any new car payments. It would be cheaper for me to mod the car $200+ each month, rather then trade it in for the $10,000 its worth with its miserable resale value, taking a huge hit on depreciation and then financing the rest. Further, there is no $10,000 car on the road that will satisfy my taste in speed and luxury (except a motorcycle, but thats already taken care of).

When I get a real job, I will move on and buy somethin else~ and its not gonna be a nissan either.
hey eric were you the one that imed me about pulling the tranny? howd you go about rebuilding it? i have my old one apart and i thought about rebuilding it myself and selling it for some extra dough does the FSM go through the transmission rebuild process? oh and you know that for 10 grand you can build one helluva 240z, trannies are only like 80 bucks and you can put in a 350 with a t56 and blow all maximas out of the water including that damb frankencar, c5 vettes wont be able to keep up either heres a stock Z for 405 bucks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=600282338 or for 15,5 you could get this slightly moded Z http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=600195198 hehe , check em out -pete
Old 01-10-2002, 02:49 PM

my bad...I thought you were rebuilding your current tranny....that would be mucho expensivo....
Old 01-11-2002, 12:10 AM

Hehe, a pure project car would be fun, but that would take too much effort in tracking down parts and trying to make it reliable. If I were to do a project car, it will be an american car cause they are cheap, parts are plentiful and they are highly moddable. But for now, I have to stick with what I got.

Yea buying this transmisison was the best deal I could do. If I were to rebuild my tranny with new parts it would cost a fortune. To put it in perspective, from courtesy nissan it costs $220 for the input shaft alone, and $90 for 2nd gear on the mainshaft. That's NOT including any synchros, or bearings for that matter, nor does that include the fact that the gears have to be pressed. Completely ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:03 AM

Hehe, a pure project car would be fun, but that would take too much effort in tracking down parts and trying to make it reliable. If I were to do a project car, it will be an american car cause they are cheap, parts are plentiful and they are highly moddable. But for now, I have to stick with what I got.

Yea buying this transmisison was the best deal I could do. If I were to rebuild my tranny with new parts it would cost a fortune. To put it in perspective, from courtesy nissan it costs $220 for the input shaft alone, and $90 for 2nd gear on the mainshaft. That's NOT including any synchros, or bearings for that matter, nor does that include the fact that the gears have to be pressed. Completely ridiculous.
if you sold the maxi for 10 then you could buy a reliable car and a Z and we could both go fast then u could come to the pike and we can embarrass all the maximas ... cmon dude you know u wanna
-pete