General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New Generation Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM

New Generation Maxima

I just got back from the Nissan dealership getting mantinence done and asked them about the next Maxima. Of course none of this has been confirmed but they said front wheel drive, a new v6 with a new cvt. The new cvt will shift from 1-2 gear for quicker take off, then just like older generation cvt from there. It is on the pathfinder chassis, so it will be bigger. He also said there will be a lot more technology in it. Thats is all he really knew and it will release 1/2014 as a 2015, more expensive than current generation.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Hmmm... 2015 model you say? I just looked the other day at leftlannews and could not locate any information there on a new model. Will have to stay tuned.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by NCBuckeye
I just got back from the Nissan dealership getting mantinence done and asked them about the next Maxima. Of course none of this has been confirmed but they said front wheel drive, a new v6 with a new cvt. The new cvt will shift from 1-2 gear for quicker take off, then just like older generation cvt from there. It is on the pathfinder chassis, so it will be bigger. He also said there will be a lot more technology in it. Thats is all he really knew and it will release 1/2014 as a 2015, more expensive than current generation.
Ummm . . . Pathfinder chassi? I hadn't heard that. Of course the Pathfinder was just completely redesigned, so will have a newly designed chassi. But the ground clearance will be greater on the Pathfinder (offfroad capability) than the Maxima (currently has a miniscule 4 1/2 inches of road clearance). That doesn't preclude using the same chassi for these two vehicles, but we will see . . .

I personally felt the 8th gen might be wider for superior maneuverability, but would also be happy with an extra inch length if it was used for knee room in the rear seat.

Your dealer is almost certainly correct that the 8th gen will be FWD with a new CVT. I don't see much more power, if any, because government fuel efficiency requirements are now going up very steeply. Having the same 290HP with a lighter vehicle and tighter CVT will improve accelleration.

Because of fuel efficiency requirements, at some point (8th gen?), Nissan will probably have to change to either a 4 cylinder engine with supercharger, or a six cylinder that uses only four cylinders unless a surge of power is needed. I'm not sure the Maxima is the type of vehicle that would sell well with a hybrid system.

2013 will be a fun year, as we will be gleaning tidbits about the 8th gen throughout the year. By around July, 8th gen rumors will be flying.