General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hmm, I was just browsing Cattman.com....(flex pipe vs. Slip joint question)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 10:20 PM

and I was looking at Pics of the SS Y-pipe. It says on the page that the Flex portion of the SS Y is replaced with a "dual 3-wall slip joint" was this on 4th gen pipes only? now here is the important question. Does this slip joint look at all like a flex section? because though I ordered the SS pipe I remember looking at the Flex portion and it looked pretty much like the stock unit. Now Cattman has agreed to issue a call tag for me to fix my pipe (hanging 2" too low) and I need to know if I should point this out. I hope I wasnt shipped the wrong pipe.

Old 11-12-2000, 07:06 AM

HI.

Brian's (cattman.com) site is very outdated and I wish he would update it. What he means is, the ORIGINAL SS-Y-Pipe had a slip joint where the STOCK flex joint was. This is no longer true, however. Cattman's SS Y-Pipe has a flex joint same as stock except smaller. I believe he even totally eliminated ALL slip joints from the design and it is now one single piece, with a FLEX joint at the back of the pipe.

See my web site for better pictures and a detailed explanation. My pipe was a prototype, but the only difference is that the current pipes no longer use any SLIP joints. Remember, there is a difference between SLIP and FLEX.

http://grprete.jnet.net

Old 11-12-2000, 01:38 PM

cattman y

I just received my Y pipe from cattman and it is one piece with a small flex joint at the end. It does not make any noise at all. Over all I am very pleased with the craftsmansip of the pipe. Put the car on a rack and it took me 45 min (my first one)
Old 11-12-2000, 04:34 PM

Heh... thanx guys

I did not know that he had moved to a flex pipe setup on the SS pipes before now. Makes me feel a little bit better, now I just need to get it fixed.