General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New mod and went to the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 11:33 AM

I installed the fields fuel controller(http://www.field-net.co.jp/english/lineup/hyper-r/op.html) on Thursday night.
I dyno tuned on Friday. I gained 10 hp and 10 ftlbs of torque from 4000 rpm to 6500 rpm.

On Saturday I went to the track. I gained 1.5 mph(102.4) and 5 hundredths of a sec(13.59). I could only muster a 2.18 60 foot time as compared to my 2.125 a few weeks ago.

Overall I'm very happy with the $200 fuel controller. When I get some good tires(drag radials) that 60 foot will drop and with the gained MPH the ET should drop some more.
Old 11-12-2000, 12:00 PM

Nice run, what size intercooler are you looking at getting. n/m

Old 11-12-2000, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cool

Steve, did you buy it from that place I posted, VIS Racing? How long did it take to deliver it? How was the install, are their Maxima Specific instructions or genaric? I thought I read that it has a self tuning mode? How does the rich/lean indicator work? I'm thinking of getting one.

[Edited by MardiGrasMax on 11-12-2000 at 02:15 PM]
Old 11-12-2000, 12:36 PM

Yes I did get it from VIS thanks again for the info

At first they wanted to charge me $230 plus shipping. They weren't honor they internet sale. After a few I had talk to them a couple of times they sold it to me for $200 plus shipping. It took a week to get here.

There are maxima specific instructions. The vehicle description was in Japanese but the engine code was in English. There picture of the back of the ECU was ok at best. There connection to the mass air flow wiring appears to be off by one. I used the service manual to verify what I was connected to as well as color.

The overall install process wasn't bad but it did take a few hours as I was taking my time and verifying the wires.

The lean/rich deal in pretty useless just as the air/fuel gauge that autometer sells(which I returned). It's consistently bouncing around as the computer is adjusting. You can't use it to tune. I would recommend a dyno with an air/fuel meter. I would guess that a NA max would gain 20 hp /tq with this mod. I haven't scene the auto setting function that they describe on the web page. I'll look in the manual but I doubt it exsist. They give to 2 maps with the product maybe thats what they are referring too.

I'm getting the intercooler next week. Custom of course. I'll let everyone know the specs at that time. I think it's going to be 16X10.
Old 11-12-2000, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Yes I did get it from VIS thanks again for the info

20hp/20lb of torque on a NA maxima for 200 dollars!!??? What!? You sure? Have pics?

ZuM

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
At first they wanted to charge me $230 plus shipping. They weren't honor they internet sale. After a few I had talk to them a couple of times they sold it to me for $200 plus shipping. It took a week to get here.

There are maxima specific instructions. The vehicle description was in Japanese but the engine code was in English. There picture of the back of the ECU was ok at best. There connection to the mass air flow wiring appears to be off by one. I used the service manual to verify what I was connected to as well as color.

The overall install process wasn't bad but it did take a few hours as I was taking my time and verifying the wires.

The lean/rich deal in pretty useless just as the air/fuel gauge that autometer sells(which I returned). It's consistently bouncing around as the computer is adjusting. You can't use it to tune. I would recommend a dyno with an air/fuel meter. I would guess that a NA max would gain 20 hp /tq with this mod. I haven't scene the auto setting function that they describe on the web page. I'll look in the manual but I doubt it exsist. They give to 2 maps with the product maybe thats what they are referring too.

I'm getting the intercooler next week. Custom of course. I'll let everyone know the specs at that time. I think it's going to be 16X10.
Old 11-12-2000, 01:39 PM

Hey Steve did you get my email I sent you? :o) n/m

Old 11-12-2000, 01:58 PM

It's $200 for the unit and $200 for dyno tuning with an air/fuel meter. The NA max can go a lot leaner than a forced inducted max.

Old 11-12-2000, 03:20 PM

hey steve, you should look into tomei's a/f gauge. get the new import tuner mag and check it out, AEBS in san diego distributes it. comes with 60mm analog gauge (looks nice), four-wire o2 sensor, a/f amp, and all the necessary wires. its made specifically for nissans for now so maybe we have edge. here is what import tuner said about its accuracy "the air/fuel would gauge around 10:7 to 11:0. A quick double-check on a Dynojet air/fuel meter confirmed our suspicion. One thing you want to remember is that we ran the gauge up against a $3,500 dollar tuning air/fuel meter. We compared the two in order to show you just how accurate the unit is for an everyday meter."

i hoping to get it as soon as i know what i'm going to do with my tranny and more boost. if you can't get a hold of the mag, i'll get you digital pic of the gauge when i get back to my place.
Old 11-13-2000, 05:18 AM

Re: Re: Yes I did get it from VIS thanks again for the info

Hey thanks for the info. That gauge sound great!!! I'm definitely going to check it out. If you get it keep us posted.

hey steve, you should look into tomei's a/f gauge. get the new import tuner mag and check it out, AEBS in san diego distributes it. comes with 60mm analog gauge (looks nice), four-wire o2 sensor, a/f amp, and all the necessary wires. its made specifically for nissans for now so maybe we have edge. here is what import tuner said about its accuracy "the air/fuel would gauge around 10:7 to 11:0. A quick double-check on a Dynojet air/fuel meter confirmed our suspicion. One thing you want to remember is that we ran the gauge up against a $3,500 dollar tuning air/fuel meter. We compared the two in order to show you just how accurate the unit is for an everyday meter."

i hoping to get it as soon as i know what i'm going to do with my tranny and more boost. if you can't get a hold of the mag, i'll get you digital pic of the gauge when i get back to my place. [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 11-13-2000, 03:27 PM

think the tomei a/f gauge spelt lean as rean...herrow?! gawd!
Old 11-13-2000, 03:47 PM

How does it work. Just curious if and how it would really add that much power.
Old 11-13-2000, 03:55 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Good results. Any advantage over the Apexi Super AFC? I know it's cheaper, but anything else?

I installed the fields fuel controller(http://www.field-net.co.jp/english/lineup/hyper-r/op.html) on Thursday night.
I dyno tuned on Friday. I gained 10 hp and 10 ftlbs of torque from 4000 rpm to 6500 rpm.

On Saturday I went to the track. I gained 1.5 mph(102.4) and 5 hundredths of a sec(13.59). I could only muster a 2.18 60 foot time as compared to my 2.125 a few weeks ago.

Overall I'm very happy with the $200 fuel controller. When I get some good tires(drag radials) that 60 foot will drop and with the gained MPH the ET should drop some more.
Old 11-13-2000, 07:15 PM

The fields has some GTECH pro in it

you can measure 0-100m 0-200 and 0-400meters. It will tell you your time and kph at those points and store up to three sets of results. Thats cool!!

The disadvantage is it doesn't look as nice(the display).
Old 11-13-2000, 07:31 PM

Hey steve, that is great gains for only 2 bills. You said it might work even better. Is this like the JET V-Force unit? DO you ahve the number to where you ordered this unit? I'll give it a shot. It costed 2 bills for the dyno? Let me know, thanks.
Old 11-14-2000, 05:39 AM

Re: Re: Yes I did get it from VIS thanks again for the info

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Synki

Hey steve, that is great gains for only 2 bills. You said it might work even better. Is this like the JET V-Force unit? DO you ahve the number to where you ordered this unit? I'll give it a shot. It costed 2 bills for the dyno? Let me know, thanks.
I don't know what the JET V-Force unit is.

I bought the Fields fuel controller from http://www.visracing.com/specials/specials.html

I paid $200.00 for the unit and installed it myself.

I paid $170 for 1 hour of dyno tuning with an air/fuel meter.