General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just removed my KYB GR-2s after 20K and on lowering springs...not good

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Just removed my KYB GR-2s after 20K and on lowering springs...not good

For the past few months, the ride of my 96 Maxima had gotten progressively worse. When I hit the smallest bumps, I could feel a lot of harshness and "crashing" thru the rear. My setup was Koni in the front and KYB GR-2 in the rear. I got the GR-2s because I wanted to wait for the on-the-fly adjustment of the AGX. I ran Suspension Techniques (1.6" drop, f/r) on these struts/shocks for about 1.5 years. Everything was peachy. About 5 months ago, I decided to get Intrax springs because I wanted the rear of my car lower. The Intrax give about a 2" drop all around. Then the weather got cold and my car REALLY started riding like crap. The front felt fine, but the rear felt like crap. I determined the GR-2s couldn't keep up with the drop and spring rate of the Intrax. Last week I ordered the AGXs for the rear. I got around to installing them today. The GR-2s were TOAST. After 20K miles and ~2 years use, they were shot. It's not KYB's fault, it's mine. I teamed way too aggressive springs with factory replacement shocks. I did a rebound test which is were you push the shaft into the cylinder and you time how long it takes the shaft to kick back out. 2 years ago, my GR-2s had a rebound of about 20 seconds. Now it's more like a minute and half Not good. I got the AGXs installed and set them to "2". The ride is great. It's still firm, but there isn't harshness or the crashing.

IMO, the GR-2s are great shocks for the money, however, if you go with a drop any more than 1.5", I really suggest that you spend the money on the AGX/Koni. Don't cut corners.

Dave
Old 01-18-2002, 10:45 PM

Re: Just removed my KYB GR-2s after 20K and on lowering springs...not good

Dave B

Thanks for the contribution to the .org. Alot of folks on the board also say the same thing. If you're gonna drop more than 1.5", don't get Tokicos or KYB (non adjustables).

Save the $$$ and get Koni/AGX adjustables. It'll pay in the long run.

Also, Konis have a lifetime warranty to THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER ... that's whay I'd only consider buying them brand new if I plan to hang on to my Max for a loooooonggg while
Old 01-19-2002, 06:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice write up. Let me ask you a question though. I only plan on dropping my car about an inch. I'm really looking for the ride quality to increase on my 96 GLE. Do you suggest KYB/AGX all the way around? And what kind of springs offer a one inch drop? I should probably do a search, but I'm pretty lazy.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by BlancMax
Nice write up. Let me ask you a question though. I only plan on dropping my car about an inch. I'm really looking for the ride quality to increase on my 96 GLE. Do you suggest KYB/AGX all the way around? And what kind of springs offer a one inch drop? I should probably do a search, but I'm pretty lazy.
I heard H&Rs are the springs with best ride, about 1.3-1.4" drop (approximately). Use em with Konis and voila!!!!!

I was going to get H&Rs too, but I wasn't sure if I'd be happy with the drop, so I am saving up to get GCs w/ Konis so I can choose my drop. Once I'm happy, I'll get an alignment and I'm set!
Old 01-19-2002, 09:52 PM

im running gr2s and sprints, yeah 2 inch drop, but i got them b the agx was available and didnt want to do that deal with the konis, this better not happen to me
Old 01-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Telus.net

Dave shoulda get those rear sooner! We know you got rich playing with trannies!

Old 01-19-2002, 11:37 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I think you'd be fine with the Tokico blues or KYB GR-2s with 1" lowering springs. I don't know what springs you are planning to use, but I've never heard of any springs for the 4th/5th gen that only lower 1".

Dave
Old 01-19-2002, 11:43 PM
Telus.net

Dave,

If I plan to use AGX with my stock SE springs, will my AGX last longer than using after market springs?

Old 01-20-2002, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blancmax why drop it one inch? it wont change the look of the car by much one inch is like you never dropped it. They dont make no springs that drop the Max one inch that would be a waste of money. Cheapest springs to get are Sprints and those ride pretty good with Koni adj. If you want just one inch then you can go with BG's or H R's.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Intrax springs are terrible on shocks, they blow them out too quickly.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ants97SE

Thats not true and I live in pothole kingdom I had stock shocks for almost a year and they never blew out, it was just a mushy ride thats it.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Ants97SE
The Intrax lower the Max about 1.8" all around. Maybe 2" in the rear. I don't see how Intrax could be any worse than Sprints or any spring that's lower than 1.5". It's the drop that kills the strut/shock, not the spring rate. My front Koni's have held up fine for almost 1.5 years now. I ride around on with the Koni's set at 25% firmness.

Dave
Old 02-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by JAY25

If you want just one inch then you can go with BG's or H R's.
B&G lower your car by 1.6"!
Old 02-07-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
im running gr2s and sprints, yeah 2 inch drop, but i got them b the agx was available and didnt want to do that deal with the konis, this better not happen to me
redmax how long you been runing on those gr2?
i have one thing to say- if it true that after your put in your suspension components once you should leave em and be sure its what you want? might it be that it wore on the shocks when you took them out again to put the intrax in?
ALSO, im lookin to use gr2's with h&r's. i think ill be fine because the drop is not big and theyre softer than other springs- i should be able to have them in good condition for a long time right?
Old 02-07-2002, 12:50 PM

ive had them for about 5 months now, say 4K or so, and havent ran into any problems