General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

GOOD NEWS: Franken intakes for 2k-2k1 a success

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

GOOD NEWS: Franken intakes for 2k-2k1 a success

Well ru4real(jeff) just left my house a happy man. i fit a frankenintake to his car and he loves it. an extra hole here and few more breather and BAM fit perfect. the hardest part was getting extra slack for the air temp sensor. there is a rubber piece in the stock scoop setup that pops out and ours has a hole that it fits in to. BUT the wire wasn't long enough, or was it. there is wire loom from the battery cable that has extra slack enclosed in it. all you have to do is slice off a piece of the electrical tape and pull the slack out of the loom and re tape it. it sounds like wow, but it took us like 2 minutes tops to do it. my sister could have handled it. other then that it took an hour for the full install plus drilling the tube and such. should be an easy install for anyone with a 8mm nut driver, 10mm rachet, and a razor knife. we are gonna make some up tomorrow and have them powder coated this week and ship maybe friday or saturday. steve@frankencar.com with questions
Old 01-20-2002, 07:53 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 07:57 PM

Re: GOOD NEWS: Franken intakes for 2k-2k1 a success

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
Well ru4real(jeff) just left my house a happy man. i fit a frankenintake to his car and he loves it. an extra hole here and few more breather and BAM fit perfect. the hardest part was getting extra slack for the air temp sensor. there is a rubber piece in the stock scoop setup that pops out and ours has a hole that it fits in to. BUT the wire wasn't long enough, or was it. there is wire loom from the battery cable that has extra slack enclosed in it. all you have to do is slice off a piece of the electrical tape and pull the slack out of the loom and re tape it. it sounds like wow, but it took us like 2 minutes tops to do it. my sister could have handled it. other then that it took an hour for the full install plus drilling the tube and such. should be an easy install for anyone with a 8mm nut driver, 10mm rachet, and a razor knife. we are gonna make some up tomorrow and have them powder coated this week and ship maybe friday or saturday. steve@frankencar.com with questions
How long till they can be shipped out ????
Old 01-20-2002, 07:58 PM

possibly friday, i'm unsure what color to have them done up it though.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:12 PM

possibly friday, i'm unsure what color to have them done up it though.
May I ask where you got those rubber extenders that go onto the ends of the pipe and clamp to the Throttle Body and the MAF and how much were they (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 01-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What happened to your color poll? I would say go with black or silver beiing they are neutral enought to match any color.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by deezo
What happened to your color poll? I would say go with black or silver beiing they are neutral enought to match any color.
I think I can beat you in the 1/4 now
Old 01-20-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by ru4real

i smell... *snif... sniff*.... a race
Old 01-21-2002, 05:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmmm...Tuesday.

And no, this is not postwhoring. Steve knows what I'm talkin' about.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:22 AM

it's still there. i just already have some silver ones for 2k2. i might get some silver 2k's done and them a few blue for both years. 4th gen ram section tomorrow, then i just need to get the brackets machined.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:25 AM

it's still there. i just already have some silver ones for 2k2. i might get some silver 2k's done and them a few blue for both years. 4th gen ram section tomorrow, then i just need to get the brackets machined.
Ill take one in blue or red, or silver. lol
Old 01-21-2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by dm7297

Ill take one in blue or red, or silver. lol
they will be ready this week. if not 1 week from today, on monday.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:45 AM

they will be ready this week. if not 1 week from today, on monday.
very nice lemme know when and how much and you got my order.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:47 AM

4th gen ram section tomorrow, then i just need to get the brackets machined.
Hurry up, I want one!
-Cyrus
Old 01-21-2002, 08:02 AM

very nice lemme know when and how much and you got my order.
145 plus 10 shipping and we'll prolly take order mid week. as soon as they are at the powdercoaters.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:04 AM

145 plus 10 shipping and we'll prolly take order mid week. as soon as they are at the powdercoaters.
okie dokie
Old 01-21-2002, 08:06 AM

okie dokie
Old 01-21-2002, 08:48 AM

Now you just have to prove it.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:52 AM

Now you just have to prove it.
yes he will, we are modding up jeff's car in a conspiracy to be able to beat you.

- Stephen
Old 01-21-2002, 09:03 AM

yes he will, we are modding up jeff's car in a conspiracy to be able to beat you.

- Stephen
I may not be moving south now, I'll I'll have more money for MODS.........

I was in NY this weekend and RBa and Yo_its_ok got to feel the power of the STOCK beast. We all were at DPA.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:21 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Just curious, does this intake come with any kind of heat shield ? The purpose of a CAI is to gather cool air outside the engine. Won't this intake gather engine heated air like the pop ?

please correct me if i'm wrong I just want to know how you are doing this intake.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Just curious, does this intake come with any kind of heat shield ? The purpose of a CAI is to gather cool air outside the engine. Won't this intake gather engine heated air like the pop ?

please correct me if i'm wrong I just want to know how you are doing this intake.
You might want to move your pics over to www.clubphoto.com
Old 01-21-2002, 10:43 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

You might want to move your pics over to www.clubphoto.com
Thanks Deez
Old 01-21-2002, 10:51 AM

Thanks Deez
Old 01-21-2002, 11:15 AM

yes it will, kinda. if you read the post and see the tests that no one ever seems to look at once the car is moving there is very little difference in temp from a CAI to a pop plus this replaces all the tubing and smooths out airflow but without being too long such as a CAI and choking up the engine at higher RPMS just imagine trying to such air through a straw, a long bent straw, an engine has a vacuum of about 20in of mercury which is like 20 feet of water, that's a lot of air to suck through a straw.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:53 AM

I'm glad more people are making intakes for the Max, but charging 145 for this intake is a little steep. The reason the Stillen/ JWT intakes cost 175/100 respectively is because they use a velocity stack. That is where most of the cost comes from. As I have stated earlier in another post, you can get the MAF adapter, and filter from ProCarparts.com http://www.procarparts.com/store/dis...pid=sk-9099MAX for 27 bucks. Now you are not telling me the that little pipe cost 120 dollars are you? Irvine78 got that pipe done by Premiere for 25 bucks! I know you are trying to make some cash, but you are making too big of a profit for me to not say anything. It would not be fair to fellow .org members if I kept my mouth shut. Any comments are welcomed.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by N1sMO
I'm glad more people are making intakes for the Max, but charging 145 for this intake is a little steep. The reason the Stillen/ JWT intakes cost 175/100 respectively is because they use a velocity stack. That is where most of the cost comes from. As I have stated earlier in another post, you can get the MAF adapter, and filter from ProCarparts.com http://www.procarparts.com/store/dis...pid=sk-9099MAX for 27 bucks. Now you are not telling me the that little pipe cost 120 dollars are you? Irvine78 got that pipe done by Premiere for 25 bucks! I know you are trying to make some cash, but you are making too big of a profit for me to not say anything. It would not be fair to fellow .org members if I kept my mouth shut. Any comments are welcomed.
I dont think its a bad price its very fair its less then a cai but more the a pop well not counting stealins plus it powercoated which is a plus too
Old 01-21-2002, 12:19 PM

I dont think its a bad price its very fair its less then a cai but more the a pop well not counting stealins plus it powercoated which is a plus too
Well, I leave that decision up to you guys. Everybody has their own definition of a fair price. I just wanted to show the .org members that it is a fairly cheap intake to make. Now, if I have to choose between paying 145 bucks for an already made intake to buying the adapter from Procarparts and taking it to a shop to custom make the rest of the intake, all for under 60 bucks, that's what I would do
Old 01-21-2002, 12:27 PM

Well, I leave that decision up to you guys. Everybody has their own definition of a fair price. I just wanted to show the .org members that it is a fairly cheap intake to make. Now, if I have to choose between paying 145 bucks for an already made intake to buying the adapter from Procarparts and taking it to a shop to custom make the rest of the intake, all for under 60 bucks, that's what I would do
ok newbie.

1. that adapter and filter is junk, i use KN filters which COST me more then just that adapter and filter. my adapter is WAY thicker and custom machined and EVERYTHING is powdercoated. PRCAI's cost 210 for comparable stuff and you get one more pipe, the rest come with my kit. this is meant to be an affordable intake, but not cheap. if you want cheap we will use tinfoil and cheesy filters. we posted a poll that stated that we will use k/n but it will cost more to produce and THE PEOLPLE CHOSE KN. and also the stillen velocity stack doesn't seem to help very much because i dynoed at at 3 hp more and 7 MORE TQ then a stillen intake on 2k2 6-spd. 10hp and 5tq for 140 bucks or 7hp and LOSE 2 TQ from a stillen for 170 you decide. people like this intake, it sounds WAY better and it's a quality piece.

and the smilie
Old 01-21-2002, 12:42 PM

ok newbie.

1. that adapter and filter is junk, i use KN filters which COST me more then just that adapter and filter. my adapter is WAY thicker and custom machined and EVERYTHING is powdercoated. PRCAI's cost 210 for comparable stuff and you get one more pipe, the rest come with my kit. this is meant to be an affordable intake, but not cheap. if you want cheap we will use tinfoil and cheesy filters. we posted a poll that stated that we will use k/n but it will cost more to produce and THE PEOLPLE CHOSE KN. and also the stillen velocity stack doesn't seem to help very much because i dynoed at at 3 hp more and 7 MORE TQ then a stillen intake on 2k2 6-spd. 10hp and 5tq for 140 bucks or 7hp and LOSE 2 TQ from a stillen for 170 you decide. people like this intake, it sounds WAY better and it's a quality piece.

and the smilie
Woohoo, that looks like a personal attack "ok newbie". I know you won't like my post, but the fact is, I can get the JWT intake with velocity stack and take it to a shop to make that pipe for about the same price, if not cheaper than your intake. Now, I don't know where you are getting your K&N filters but you are paying way too much if you buy them from Pepboys. The bottom line is, I don't care if your adapter is made of Titanium, it is only an adapter. I think the velocity stack would cost more to make than your "Thick Adapter"

BTW, I am not a Newbie, I've been around since the days of Andi and if you don't have a free tee-shirt from the first Stillen Maxima Day, then you are much newer than me
Old 01-21-2002, 12:57 PM

Woohoo, that looks like a personal attack "ok newbie". I know you won't like my post, but the fact is, I can get the JWT intake with velocity stack and take it to a shop to make that pipe for about the same price, if not cheaper than your intake. Now, I don't know where you are getting your K&N filters but you are paying way too much if you buy them from Pepboys. The bottom line is, I don't care if your adapter is made of Titanium, it is only an adapter. I think the velocity stack would cost more to make than your "Thick Adapter"

BTW, I am not a Newbie, I've been around since the days of Andi and if you don't have a free tee-shirt from the first Stillen Maxima Day, then you are much newer than me
Ok, you can make your own intake. Lots of people could. What's your time and energy worth? Just because you can make one doesn't mean other people want to do the same. If there's an existing intake on the market that gives a documented performance gain, why not buy it for a reasonable price? Fine, don't buy an intake, but don't tell people not to buy one because you say so. It's their choice.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:04 PM

Sorry to bring this post on-topic, but…

RU4Real, I notice from your other posts that you had an OSCAI setup before the Franken intake.

Could you please give me a quick comparison between the two, especially performance gains? You sound pretty positive it’s worth the $140 to go Franken over OSCAI, but want to make sure. What does your butt dyno have to say?

BTW, I tried searching, but there are a lot of Franken threads right now.

Thanks,

Travis
Old 01-21-2002, 02:13 PM

Ok, you can make your own intake. Lots of people could. What's your time and energy worth? Just because you can make one doesn't mean other people want to do the same. If there's an existing intake on the market that gives a documented performance gain, why not buy it for a reasonable price? Fine, don't buy an intake, but don't tell people not to buy one because you say so. It's their choice.
This is going to be the last post from me about this topic unless I get more cheap shots. If you would read a couple of threads above this one, you would notice I said exactly what you said. I said it is up to the .org members to decide, I'm only putting the cost issue into light. Now, putting a straight pipe to remove the resonator is nothing special. Ok, so it might not be a totally straight pipe, but how much does it cost to bend it a little? Not much according to Irvine78. And how much does two piece of turbo hose and two clamps cost?!?! Time and energy? Opportunity cost? Come on... There are muffler shops or rice shop every street corner it wouldn't take me half an hour to go get it done. But I guess that's just me though, can't speak for the rest of the .org members because they are too stupid to do the same

If guys are willing to do the OSCAI wasting their time at Home Depots then this is a much much much easier project. Thankyou very much, I've said my piece!
Old 01-21-2002, 02:58 PM

Old 01-21-2002, 04:16 PM

i still want to buy your intake
Old 01-21-2002, 04:24 PM

i still want to buy your intake

- matt
Old 01-21-2002, 04:24 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

so..........you guys are doing a group buy, right ?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:39 PM

Being that you've been on the forums a long time, you should know to say your piece and move on to the next topic. To argue after the point is useless. DMB is not trying to rob people, just look at the dyno. You get more HP than all the others.

And if I'm stupid for buying one, let me know in person.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:40 PM

Being that you've been on the forums a long time, you should know to say your piece and move on to the next topic. To argue after the point is useless. DMB is not trying to rob people, just look at the dyno. You get more HP than all the others.
Well said!
Old 01-21-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
so..........you guys are doing a group buy, right ?

Quick Reply: GOOD NEWS: Franken intakes for 2k-2k1 a success