General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

TUTORIAL: how to shift when drag racing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TUTORIAL: how to shift when drag racing.

I got asked this question over PM

Somebody wrote on 01-21-2002 05:47 PM:
hey man, i just checked out your cardomain page and watched your vids. i am very impressed by your driving and i was wondering if you could give me any tips on how you shift so fast. also, your launch was perfect on your 14.2 run and if you have any tips on that i would appreciate it as well. thanks! btw, i love your car!
my reply was too big to send and I thought others may want to know my answer:

ok, let me see...

racing is not like driving normally, you want to adjust your seat forward and more upright so that you can use your leg strenght to push down on the pedal and not forward (obviously you need to push down and forward, but think in terms of downforce). When shifting you want to only push the clutch in the minimum ammount needed to switch gears without grinding. have a firm grip on the shifter and start applying pressure right before you push the clutch in as to make the shifter move as soon as possible. you will want to figure out what grip works best for each gear shift. Watch the part of my video where I shift gears a few times in a row and you'll notice that my hand never leaves the shift **** yet I adjust my grip between each gear leaving plenty of time before I need to shift. Have an exact plan on what RPM you want to shift at for each gear and make sure you are ready and not rushing yourself to change grip or your move your foot. The hardest shift is the 2-3 because you have to move the shifter sideways and forward - in the video you can tell that I look down at the shifter for this one because I want to give it all of my attention. I think the only way to perfect this shift is memory, my arm just does it beause I don't feel anything, my arm just moves sideways at the right moment.

I'm one of the best because I *think* what I mean is that on my drive to the track I analyze every possible detail with regards to my posture and grips, and shift points... every possible factor that is involved so that I can shave off any time humanly possible.

this is all I can think of right now on the subject of shifting when drag racing. hope it helps.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:46 PM

Great info there.

Somehow I read your topic as "how to drift when drag racing".
Old 01-21-2002, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by littledog
Great info there.

Not bad Blue I never even thought about sitting closer to the wheel until now, I will have to try that next time I go to the track
Old 01-21-2002, 08:10 PM

I would like to see these videos that your talking about, but I cant get to your cardomain site for some reason. Can you post some quick links or pm them to me thanks!
Old 01-21-2002, 08:16 PM

you forgot the taking the seats out part when racing
Old 01-21-2002, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
this post is 100% shifting ONLY... I may go on and write about other aspects of my drag racing style, but for now this is the only element I talked about.

the direct link to my video:

http://www.rit.edu/~aabrcc/theblue2low.avi
Old 01-21-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by theblue
this post is 100% shifting ONLY... I may go on and write about other aspects of my drag racing style, but for now this is the only element I talked about.

the direct link to my video:

http://www.rit.edu/~aabrcc/theblue2low.avi
oh, I was thinking the whole drag racing thing in general sorry
Old 01-21-2002, 09:17 PM

Aaron,

Ever think that the reason you ran such a good time is because you had over 100 chances to do it???

Old 01-21-2002, 10:08 PM
Granny Driven

Re: TUTORIAL: how to shift when drag racing.

Do you let go of gas when shifting?
Old 01-21-2002, 10:18 PM
SLOW

Practice makes perfect boys and girls.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:49 AM

LOL that's cheating!

Originally posted by costcowholesale
Old 01-22-2002, 06:15 AM

Hmmmmm, I think so?!

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Aaron,

Ever think that the reason you ran such a good time is because you had over 100 chances to do it???

Old 01-22-2002, 06:17 AM

this thread may be 100% on shifting but what does this mean in your sig? "14.2 @ 96, still NA but not for long "??
Old 01-22-2002, 06:25 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaRider
this thread may be 100% on shifting but what does this mean in your sig? "14.2 @ 96, still NA but not for long "??
NOS
Old 01-22-2002, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by fivelitrekiller
Hmmmmm, I think so?!
five! long time no speak, how are you?

anyway... I'll be the first to admit that I got good because of all the practice. The more you play, the better you get.

and how is stripping my interior cheating I don't see anybody giving Don a hard time about using smaller tires... if you want to stip your interior than do it... it's not like I didn't run a 14.2

what is NOS?
Old 01-22-2002, 06:48 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

anyway... I'll be the first to admit that I got good because of all the practice. The more you play, the better you get.

and how is stripping my interior cheating I don't see anybody giving Don a hard time about using smaller tires... if you want to stip your interior than do it... it's not like I didn't run a 14.2

what is NOS?
Going to the track too often is cheating. Your time should count because you got to race so much.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:49 AM
Granny Driven

what is NOS?
I think you missed my question! Do you let go of gas when you shift???
Old 01-22-2002, 07:02 AM

Aaron, how are ya buddy? It's good to hear from ya...it's been too long. I'm well man, my bday was on saturday, and I'm still recovering! lol Anyhooter, I'm glad to see that you're tearing it up on the maxima scene...when you coming up next? Or, when I am comin down next? Stay kool brutha, and we'll have to keep each other informed on our little secret projects!!

G

what is NOS?
Old 01-22-2002, 07:24 AM

I got asked this question over PM

in the video you can tell that I look down at the shifter for this one because I want to give it all of my attention
how long have you been driving stick that you have to look down at the shifter? arent there more important things to look at, like rpms? ive never ever had to look at the shifter to shift gears. that just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:04 AM

Q: do I let my foot off the gas when shifting?
A: I do bring my foot up a little so that I don't hit the rev limiter, but not all the way off.

Q: why am I looking down at 3rd
A: I've been driving stick since I was 15, so that's a total of seven years. I don't need to look down when shifting but I feel the 2-3 shift is the second most critical moment in drag racing (after the launch). It does not matter what RPM you shift at if miss your 2-3 shift. This is not to say that I miss the 2-3 shift a lot, but when you are only pushing the clutch down a little and moving your hand so fast, it just makes it so much easier to miss the shift. I find myself looking at the tach. from 5800 RPMs until when I choose to shift and then at the moment of shift I glance down and focus all of my attention on where I want the shifter to move to.

anyway, got to get back to work :-(
Old 01-22-2002, 09:23 AM

So, you are powershifting, what is your best et without powershifting?

Q: do I let my foot off the gas when shifting?
A: I do bring my foot up a little so that I don't hit the rev limiter, but not all the way off.

Q: why am I looking down at 3rd
A: I've been driving stick since I was 15, so that's a total of seven years. I don't need to look down when shifting but I feel the 2-3 shift is the second most critical moment in drag racing (after the launch). It does not matter what RPM you shift at if miss your 2-3 shift. This is not to say that I miss the 2-3 shift a lot, but when you are only pushing the clutch down a little and moving your hand so fast, it just makes it so much easier to miss the shift. I find myself looking at the tach. from 5800 RPMs until when I choose to shift and then at the moment of shift I glance down and focus all of my attention on where I want the shifter to move to.

anyway, got to get back to work :-(

I was wondering how your et is so low. I don't have to tell you that powershifting is not very good for your transaxle.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:29 AM

Re: So, you are powershifting, what is your best et without powershifting?

Originally posted by Jimbrowski
I was wondering how your et is so low. I don't have to tell you that powershifting is not very good for your transaxle.
I don't powershift, I may sound a little like that, but nothing is forced (no clicking or grinding, its 100% smooth)

look at my sig for my ET and you can click on the link to see the timeslip.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I shift just like Aaron. I don't powershift, but people who ride with me think I am. I let off the gas just a little so I don't over-rev. I don't look down for the 2-3 shift due to my shifting style. By holding the shifter with your palm behind the shifter with your fingers wrapped around the rightside of the shifter, all you have to do is push straight up. You'll never miss the 2-3 ever again and you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

Dave
Old 01-22-2002, 11:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hmmm nice info.

Congrats Dave. You have been stickied.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:53 AM
SLOW

Re: Re: TUTORIAL: how to shift when drag racing.

Originally posted by magnum

how long have you been driving stick that you have to look down at the shifter? arent there more important things to look at, like rpms? ive never ever had to look at the shifter to shift gears. that just doesnt make sense to me.
When he's got the fastest n/a maxima on street tires he can do whatever the heck he wants I say. It doesn't have to make sense to you.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:28 PM

Nice writeup. I will have to try changing my seat next time.

SuDZ
Old 01-22-2002, 11:39 PM

thanxx for the tips.......even though i have an automagic
Old 01-23-2002, 07:11 AM

If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

I don't powershift, I may sound a little like that, but nothing is forced (no clicking or grinding, its 100% smooth)

look at my sig for my ET and you can click on the link to see the timeslip.

Simply because you stay on the "power" throughout the entire shift. The reason I ask about the et is because my personal experience with NA cars is that I can lower my et .1-.3 by powershifting, this is with an old 5.0 and a 95 Honda Civic. Powershifting is smooth, with no grinding, just harsher on the drivetrain and faster than those of us who "granny shift" (lifting off the throttle completely on the upshift)
Technically speaking, if you don't release (close) the throttle on each upshift, it is still a powershift.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:01 PM

Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

Originally posted by Jimbrowski
Simply because you stay on the "power" throughout the entire shift. The reason I ask about the et is because my personal experience with NA cars is that I can lower my et .1-.3 by powershifting, this is with an old 5.0 and a 95 Honda Civic. Powershifting is smooth, with no grinding, just harsher on the drivetrain and faster than those of us who "granny shift" (lifting off the throttle completely on the upshift)
Technically speaking, if you don't release (close) the throttle on each upshift, it is still a powershift.
that's a fair arguement... I guess I do powershift then, but I know many people who think that powershifting is when you shift without even touching the clutch - I didn't want to give that impression.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

I know many people who think that powershifting is when you shift without even touching the clutch - I didn't want to give that impression.
That must be really bad on the tranny to "stuff" the shifter into the next year without disengaging the clutch!
Old 01-23-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

I know many people who think that powershifting is when you shift without even touching the clutch - I didn't want to give that impression.
That must be really bad on the tranny to "stuff" the shifter into the next gear without disengaging the clutch!
Old 01-23-2002, 05:09 PM

This is what I was looking for trying to find out the best method for speed shifting but I was wondering if you know what are the shift points on each gear what RPM's ?

Thanx
Old 01-24-2002, 04:30 AM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by littledog
Great info there.

that would be funny to see

Old 01-24-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

Originally posted by gtr_rider
That must be really bad on the tranny to "stuff" the shifter into the next gear without disengaging the clutch!
I'm not hard at all which is why I have 93,000 miles on the stock clutch and tranny and no signs of wear. "stuff" makes it sound like i'm forcing it, I don't force anything, its a smooth gear change
Old 01-25-2002, 07:09 AM
SLOW

Re: Re: Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Where did he say he doesn't depress the clutch?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:13 PM

yea
Old 01-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Re: Re: Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

I'm not hard at all which is why I have 93,000 miles on the stock clutch and tranny and no signs of wear. "stuff" makes it sound like i'm forcing it, I don't force anything, its a smooth gear change
Can you please post your RPM shift points ( At what RMP do you shift?)
Your opinion on drag racing. What will cause to break the car when drag racing, things to worry about. I draged one time and have doughts if I want to do it again. So some info it its bad good or the ugly..Thank you.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If you don't close the throttle, it's still considered powershifting-.

i'm not going to because I belive this varies depending on mods / tires / other factors. I generally shift close to the redline into 2nd.... the jury is still out on the 2-3 3-4 shifts
Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

Can you please post your RPM shift points ( At what RMP do you shift?)
Your opinion on drag racing. What will cause to break the car when drag racing, things to worry about. I draged one time and have doughts if I want to do it again. So some info it its bad good or the ugly..Thank you.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:16 PM
Steadi

Just out of curiousity, you post that your times are 14.2 @96

When your timeslip is 14.287 at 95.75

So your rounded your ET times down .087 but your speed up .25

Isn't that stretching the truth a bit? Rounding to your benefit on both ends. Your times are surely excellent for a NA Maxima of your year, but why wouldn't you want to post the true times instead of rounding? Or at least if you are going to round, round truthfully so your times would read 14.29 @ 95.8 mph!

Old 01-28-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Steadi
Just out of curiousity, you post that your times are 14.2 @96

When your timeslip is 14.287 at 95.75

So your rounded your ET times down .087 but your speed up .25

Isn't that stretching the truth a bit? Rounding to your benefit on both ends. Your times are surely excellent for a NA Maxima of your year, but why wouldn't you want to post the true times instead of rounding? Or at least if you are going to round, round truthfully so your times would read 14.29 @ 95.8 mph!
I like to keep things, nice, simple, and impressive. I'm not hiding or pretending that I did anything more than a 14.287 -- this is why you will notice the link to the actual timeslip so people who want the exact numbers and other info like 60' time can inspect that in detail. Also, you are talking about eight hundreths of a second here.

I'm all for admitting every 10th counts, but every 100th is pushing it. I'll change my profile to make you happy.

Quick Reply: TUTORIAL: how to shift when drag racing.