General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do I need to ground the water temp sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 09:28 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Do I need to ground the water temp sensor?

I'm using a sensor pipe from HKS. Do I need to ground the sensor for it to work? If so, how? I tried to solder a wire to the brass fitting, but it didn't work. Do I need to weld the wire on to the brass fitting?

Old 01-24-2002, 09:35 AM
Banned

Hmmm, Because of the way i hooked mine up i did not need to do that and mine works. Now i am assumeing that my oil pressure sender is somewhat similar when it comes to the wiring and I did not have to run a ground to that sensor. The only ground I have setup is the one to the gauge itself. Not sure if using that pipe should make any difference.

goodluck
Old 01-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Banned

forgot to ask, is the sensor you are using, from HKS or is it the one that autometer supplied. Disregard statement if sensor is from HKS.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:04 AM

Matt, the reason for grounding the wire because the pipe is not really attach to anything metal. It's between two rubber hoses. The sensor usually ground it self if it's attached to the engine oil pan, engine block or tranny pan. You know what I'm taking about. When it's suspended between two hoses, the fitting might need to be grounded. I might just rig it by using JB Weld

Originally posted by matt calder
Hmmm, Because of the way i hooked mine up i did not need to do that and mine works. Now i am assumeing that my oil pressure sender is somewhat similar when it comes to the wiring and I did not have to run a ground to that sensor. The only ground I have setup is the one to the gauge itself. Not sure if using that pipe should make any difference.

goodluck
Old 01-24-2002, 10:06 AM

Autometer. The water temp sensor is a 1/8" NPT. I used a 1/8" to 1/4" NPT fitting. Had a machine shop drilled and tapped the hole for the 1/4" NPT. Soon as I figure out how to ground the sensor, it should work.

Originally posted by matt calder
forgot to ask, is the sensor you are using, from HKS or is it the one that autometer supplied. Disregard statement if sensor is from HKS.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Matt, the reason for grounding the wire because the pipe is not really attach to anything metal. It's between two rubber hoses. The sensor usually ground it self if it's attached to the engine oil pan, engine block or tranny pan. You know what I'm taking about. When it's suspended between two hoses, the fitting might need to be grounded. I might just rig it by using JB Weld

Ahhhhh, I see, for some reason I thought the pipe was going to be welded onto the end of the the metal tube that the hose connects to. That makes sense now. learn something new everyday.

Yeah i still have the autometer sensor in my basement, I still may use it later on down the road.

thanks again Tony for clearing that up, I tried helping you and end up getting helped
Old 01-24-2002, 11:52 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Re: Do I need to ground the water temp sensor?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I'm using a sensor pipe from HKS. Do I need to ground the sensor for it to work? If so, how? I tried to solder a wire to the brass fitting, but it didn't work. Do I need to weld the wire on to the brass fitting?

hummm....my Apexi water temp gauge didnt need to be grounded..but i used the hole for my temp guage for the Apexi gauge. im not sure how yours works.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:22 PM

Re: Re: Do I need to ground the water temp sensor?

So you are doubling up the OEM water temp wire with aftermarkt water temp wire? The temp sensor is measure Ohm, wouldn't doubling up on the wiring cause the reading to be off?

Originally posted by Turbo95Max

hummm....my Apexi water temp gauge didnt need to be grounded..but i used the hole for my temp guage for the Apexi gauge. im not sure how yours works.