General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help!

My parents are at it again and are saying I can't get a 5-speed because they "don't believe in it", "were paying for most of the car", "you always roll back on a hill", blah blah blah! The thing is, they said I could get one if I tried it out and I liked it. I tried it, and loved it! Steve and Matt from Frankencar and I even went to Berlin to look at this Max that was perfect.

They won't even listen! What should I do.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: help!

Originally posted by alphaoenz1
My parents are at it again and are saying I can't get a 5-speed because they "don't believe in it", "were paying for most of the car", "you always roll back on a hill", blah blah blah! The thing is, they said I could get one if I tried it out and I liked it. I tried it, and loved it! Steve and Matt from Frankencar and I even went to Berlin to look at this Max that was perfect.

They won't even listen! What should I do.
Tell them the manual gets better gas mileage.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh yeah, don't foget either.. If your car battery dies and your stuck in the middle of no where you can just roll your car and crank it up again
Old 01-24-2002, 04:45 PM

I'm in the same situation as you but only mom don't believe in it. Dad is cool abt it but its just mom ... oh well I'm driving her car (well its like mine now I drive it 7 days a week)everyday until she gives up I won't let my parents buy me an automatic car.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: help!

Tell them that 5spds let you drive through a flood coz you can balance the clutch and rev the engine higher to prevent water entry from the exhaust
Kills the clutch though, but how often do you drive through flood?

Also, 5spds last longer if taken care of, especially if you're getting a used car.

And yeah, I second the better gas mileage argument (not much on a Max, but they don't have to know that!!!). And the push-start doesn't work on an auto as PCGuRu2K said.

Manuals are cheaper!!!!!!!!

Pity I have an automagic, but I actually like it alot
Old 01-24-2002, 06:38 PM

hmm.. i had the total opposite situation in my family they wanted me to get a standard from the begining. I agreed with them but this was there reasoning:

1. If your friend is unable to drive (wasted) and his car is standard you shold know how to drive it so u can drive home and not have him.
2. There will be a situation later in life which driving a stick is called for.
3. Better learn it now because it is easier when you are young and you might not want to pick it up when your older
4. Keeps you awake when driving at night
5. more aware as a driver, listen to your car more, pay more attention to driving
6. It is a skill that you can learn and improve, a person who drives stick really well is respected, whenever a kid gets a new sports car at my school its usually a stick and they can not drive it, so they let me and damn it is fun, drove and s2000 around all yesterday
7. From my expereince every kid who gets an auto kick themselfs in the nutz, because they loose that real sports car feel. I turn my 92 85 h/p saturn into a drag racer when i drive (much imagination needed). Also for kids shifting it into nuetral then reving then back to drive just does not cut it.
8. also just what i have noticed people do give you instand respect when they see a car like a maxima and you got it in stick.

im not saying anything negative about people who prefer auto, i know many people on this forum drive auto and are much better than me at driving. This is just what i have experienced and my parents reasoning.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:43 PM

ooo, here's one more

hopefully all your lousy driver friends can only drive an auto, so they'll never touch your manual and scrape your bumper against a pole
Old 01-24-2002, 06:47 PM

that is true it does cut down on people driving ur car, last kid i let drive my car however, got in it at mobile pulled out of the gass station and was pulled over back into the gas station for cuting of a car. funniest thing ever, lucky the cop said nothing baout my tints.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:49 PM

i love my auto.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:54 PM

I love my auto too