General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sick 95SE Maxima Kills Modded 99 Civic SI >>>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 11:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As many of you know my check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago, code 91 Front O2 sensor and code 34 Knock sensor. I have been driving like this for about a month and can tell you that the car must be in some kind of Safe Mode, because the power is just not really there, the car feels very sluggish. My current Engine Mods are Cone Filter, Y-pipe, and JWT ECU. I took the JWT ECU off and replaced it with the stock ECU, to make sure it was not the ECU giving me the error codes. So I decided to go to the auto parts store to buy the O2 sensor, bought it and on the way home a beautiful Black Civic Si is taking off very quickly at every stop light, I guess the driver was waiting for someone to take him on. I figure I would lose because I have an automatic and my car is not running right, so the next light we line up. The light turns green, I manually shift my transmission from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, at this time we are at 80 mph and I am ahead by about 2 car lengths, we both shut down. He comes along beside me and we both smile and give thumbs up to each other. Another car comes up besides me and the guy rolls down his window and says to me “You really surprised that guy” and says that he never thought the Maxima’s were fast. I follow the Civic Si to his apartment complex and me and the driver talk. He is really a nice guy; he is in his mid to late 40’s and says that he is reliving his youth. His plate reads “MYBMWM5”. If I remember correctly he says that he has an AEM intake and exhaust, he pops open his hood and I see the AEM intake. I must say that is a really nice car. He plans on getting a Jackson Racing Supercharger soon, so I guess I have to save up for the Stillen Supercharger too just to keep ahead. But in the end I really do have new found respect for my car, I never thought it was fast, but it is faster than some cars out there. He said that he thought he could take me after 80 mph but I told him that he was lucky my car was not at 100% and showed him the new O2 sensor and the Check Engine Light. I installed the O2 sensor and replaced the stock ECU with the JWT ECU and had the 2K muffler installed the car is so much faster now, big difference in power from when the car was sick.