General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP ME: I'm a newbie again!! (all NOS owners)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP ME: I'm a newbie again!! (all NOS owners)

So I have a nos kit now. I don't know what more I need and what all the parts really are. Its a combination ZEX and NOS kit and please don't give me any comments about why I got this stuff. I got it all for $350 shipped (everything pictured) so I got a good deal even if I need more stuff). take a look and help me as much as you guys can.

thanks.

the pics >> http://www.rit.edu/~aab8398/car/nos
Old 01-27-2002, 06:52 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i see, some solenoids, is there a purge, zex stuff is gay, fan spray nozzle, TWO i think nos pressure gauges, control box, bottle heater, hmm i'll analyze some more.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:56 PM

Quick Question...

Sorry I don't have any idea about the nitrous... Just wondering what size shot you are going to use and what times you are aiming for ( 14.2 NA )
-Cyrus
Old 01-27-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Quick Question...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Sorry I don't have any idea about the nitrous... Just wondering what size shot you are going to use and what times you are aiming for (14.2 NA )
-Cyrus
I plan to play with a 50 shot for this summer and I'll be happy with mid 13s. I was not planning on entering the NOS world but this was a good deal so I took it. If any of you guys who are looking at it need help (more pics, clarification) let me know. The previous owner had this on a 3rd gen and he will help me with any questions i'm sure.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Quick Question...

Originally posted by theblue
I plan to play with a 50 shot for this summer and I'll be happy with mid 13s. I was not planning on entering the NOS world but this was a good deal so I took it. If any of you guys who are looking at it need help (more pics, clarification) let me know. The previous owner had this on a 3rd gen and he will help me with any questions i'm sure.
Got tired of NA huh??
Old 01-27-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Quick Question...

Originally posted by deezo
Got tired of NA huh??
me too
Old 01-27-2002, 07:10 PM

well you basically have most bolt ons and since there are not many other N/A parts avail YET(i hope) i guess the NOS route is the way to go. Can't wait to see what times ur gonna pull with a 50shot
Old 01-27-2002, 07:12 PM

1. Get a new Activation switch (Radio shack)
2. Get an automatic Bottle Heater and New Switch
3. Pray your selinoids work
4. Get the correct nozzles for the shot you want to run

Optional:

1. Remote bottle opener
2. Fuel Pressure Gauge
3. Purge Valve

Otherwise you look ok.

Erik
Old 01-27-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: Re: Quick Question...

mid 13s on a 50-shot...dream on man....you'll get WAY too much wheel spin to run mid 13s....you'll actually be lucky to break into the 13s at all....believe me...I've run on and off a 50-shot at the track...and it's just not possible...
Old 01-27-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

mid 13s on a 50-shot...dream on man....you'll get WAY too much wheel spin to run mid 13s....you'll actually be lucky to break into the 13s at all....believe me...I've run on and off a 50-shot at the track...and it's just not possible...

ya but a 14.2 n/a he will get 13.s
Old 01-27-2002, 08:22 PM
PhatGuy

Even if he didn't spray until 2nd gear onwards?

Old 01-27-2002, 08:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quick Question...

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Even if he didn't spray until 2nd gear onwards?
he'll get 13's i'm gonna get 13's n/a
Old 01-27-2002, 08:35 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

He runs 14.2 now.. that's without NOS. I don't see why mid 13s aren't attainable?
Old 01-27-2002, 08:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quick Question...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

He runs 14.2 now.. that's without NOS. I don't see why mid 13s aren't attainable?
TWO WORDS...WHEEL SPIN

you're E.T on spray is NOT dependant on your N/A E.T....

he HAS run ONE 14.28...that doesn't mean his car is a consistant 14.2 car....
Old 01-27-2002, 09:15 PM

I doubt a 50 shot would do much with or without wheel spin...might lower .2 but not more then that...50 shot isn't 50 at the wheels...

Erik
Old 01-27-2002, 09:20 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by tifosiv122
I doubt a 50 shot would do much with or without wheel spin...might lower .2 but not more then that...50 shot isn't 50 at the wheels...

Erik

Well, you guys probably know better.. I don't know jack **** about NOS lol.. but..

Synki runs like what.. 13.7 or something with a 100 shot? That is a 100 shot, it dropped his ET by a full second and a half. So would it make sense that a 50 shot would drop it half of that? I'm just wondering how it is...
Old 01-28-2002, 05:13 AM

You don't know Aaron's Max very well.

Plus Aaron IS a good driver and is very consistant with his car.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:13 AM

I'm never going to get any NOS timeslips if sprint and sx7r and our matt don't help me figure out what I have and how to hook it up and what else I need. I'm going to be researching this some more.

This thread is not meant to be about how fast I will be. To say that I don't run constant 14.2s is true BUT I did run 3 different 14.3s so i'm close enuf. Even if I don't spray in first gear (I won't at first) I like those of you who are sceptical because just like the people who once told me I couldn't get a 14.7 with only a catback - you'll be disproved if I ever get the system installed.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Brian is right.. running on NOS and running NA is too different things.. you can light he tires up spraying from 1st to 3rd Gear.. at least whne you are are NA half way through 2nd you are bound to hook up..

Synki hasn't run 13's.. how does these rumors get started
Old 01-28-2002, 06:18 AM
Administrator

dude.. i warned you about buying a Hybrid kit.. no matter how cheap it was..

maybe matt and thomas can help you.. but as long as the kit isn't NOS i can't help you with it.. sorry
Old 01-28-2002, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Brian is right.. running on NOS and running NA is too different things.. you can light he tires up spraying from 1st to 3rd Gear.. at least whne you are are NA half way through 2nd you are bound to hook up..
please stick to the subject
Old 01-28-2002, 06:23 AM
Administrator

please stick to the subject
^
Old 01-28-2002, 06:34 AM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by tifosiv122

Erik
Why does anyone bother with a 50shot then if it doesn't boost speed through 3 gears?

Old 01-28-2002, 06:40 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let get back to the basics for a little bit...

Why are there 2 solonoids used? I thought the first opened when the system is activated and the second opened when the WOT (and other) switches were set off.

In my NOS kit I have a FPSS between the two solonoids (http://www.rit.edu/~ejjfac/maxima/NOS/nos1.jpg). Aaron doesn't appear to have this, however if you look in the ZEX box that came with the kit there appears to be something similar (http://www.rit.edu/~aab8398/car/NOS/NOS4.jpg).

Also, I'm not sure what the lines running into that box are for. Aaron, can you get a closer picture like this one so we can tell?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj5875
Let get back to the basics for a little bit...

Why are there 2 solonoids used? I thought the first opened when the system is activated and the second opened when the WOT (and other) switches were set off.

In my NOS kit I have a FPSS between the two solonoids (http://www.rit.edu/~ejjfac/maxima/NOS/nos1.jpg). Aaron doesn't appear to have this, however if you look in the ZEX box that came with the kit there appears to be something similar (http://www.rit.edu/~aab8398/car/NOS/NOS4.jpg).

Also, I'm not sure what the lines running into that box are for. Aaron, can you get a closer picture like this one so we can tell?

I think zex kits have 1 solenoid for Nitrous and 1 for fuel.. thats why i don't like them.. if the Nitrous Solenoid fails.. its bye bye motor..
Old 01-28-2002, 07:11 AM
ejj

I think zex kits have 1 solenoid for Nitrous and 1 for fuel.. thats why i don't like them.. if the Nitrous Solenoid fails.. its bye bye motor..
What do you mean by "1 for fuel"? The kit doesn't deliver the fuel, just raises the pressure, right? Isn't this the same as the NOS kit?

Aaron - Have you emailed the guy that you bought the kit from? Did he provide you with any instructions?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj5875

What do you mean by "1 for fuel"? The kit doesn't deliver the fuel, just raises the pressure, right? Isn't this the same as the NOS kit?

Aaron - Have you emailed the guy that you bought the kit from? Did he provide you with any instructions?
i think ZEX and Nitrous Express have one for fuel and one for Nitrous.. unlike ours which uses the factory injectors for fuel and tricks the Stock FPR to raise pressure via the tee fitting and flare jets
Old 01-28-2002, 08:19 AM
ejj

i think ZEX and Nitrous Express have one for fuel and one for Nitrous.. unlike ours which uses the factory injectors for fuel and tricks the Stock FPR to raise pressure via the tee fitting and flare jets
really? So, it would throw fuel into the intake path as well as the NOS? Interesting. I'll have to go to Aaron's again and take a closer look.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:27 AM

I believe that I have two solenoids the first is in the ZEX brain (the box) and the second is an add-on and it is NOS brand. >>

I'm still attempting to learn as much as I can about all the parts and how each works then I will call the guy I got it from tonight and hopefully talk more about the whole system.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:32 AM

does this help >>

The ZEX Nitrous Oxide Kit is so simple to install, your Mom could do it. When armed, the ZEX Nitrous Kit kicks in electronically off the T.P.S. and tells the fuel pressure regulator how much extra fuel to deliver.
and
The vehicle you are planning to install the ZEX™ system on must be equipped with the following items:

• A vacuum actuated fuel pressure regulator* because this is how the ZEX™ unit regulates/maintains proper fuel pressure at activation.
• A throttle position sensor* voltage output of at least 4.2 volts at wide open throttle (WOT) - because the ZEX™ unit uses this voltage range as a reference point to actually activate the nitrous system.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:35 AM
ejj

I believe that I have two solenoids the first is in the ZEX brain (the box) and the second is an add-on and it is NOS brand. >>

I'm still attempting to learn as much as I can about all the parts and how each works then I will call the guy I got it from tonight and hopefully talk more about the whole system.
Yeah, Aaron has two solenoids. The ZEX kit appears to only come with one, unless the guy making the kit decided that he liked the NOS ones better for the first 'noid.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:37 AM
ejj

does this help >>

and
Yeah, from that it sounds like fuel is delivered through the FI's and not the 'noid from the ZEX kit. This is similar to the way that the NOS kit works (right?).

Also it sounds like your WOT switch is electronic and not manual like ours...but then again the guy included 3 manual WOT switches in the kit. Maybe that part doesn't work on the max and you have to override it with a manual switch.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:37 AM

I dont share information anymore.... muuhahahahahahaa

Check your PM's
Old 01-28-2002, 08:39 AM

dose this make sense? the first solenoid included in the zex kit is activated when the switch (inside the car) is on AND when:

• A throttle position sensor* voltage output of at least 4.2 volts at wide open throttle (WOT) - because the ZEX™ unit uses this voltage range as a reference point to actually activate the nitrous system.

the second solenoid that came (the NOS one) activates when WOT clicks a physical switch much like the NOS kit.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:47 AM

dose this make sense? the first solenoid included in the zex kit is activated when the switch (inside the car) is on AND when:

the second solenoid that came (the NOS one) activates when WOT clicks a physical switch much like the NOS kit.
yes it makes sense...but it's kinda goofy.....in the NOS kit you basically just have one giant circut....and every "switch" is a possible break in the circut.....in your kit you have at least two circuts from what you are saying...leaving more room for error.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:09 AM

OK... I just spoke with MardiGrasMax and learnt a LOT about where I am and what I need to get still.

Shopping list = Fuel pressure safety switch, autometer EGT, autometer fuel pressure.

Action list = call the guy I got this from and talk about how exactly he had it all set up.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:07 AM

I had a long talk with one of the people at ZEX and he was really cool and will answer any questions I have even though I didn't buy the kit from them. He is even going to take a look at the pictures of the stuff I have and let me know what his impression is and about any concerns.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:53 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Any new info?

I had a long talk with one of the people at ZEX and he was really cool and will answer any questions I have even though I didn't buy the kit from them. He is even going to take a look at the pictures of the stuff I have and let me know what his impression is and about any concerns.
Find anything out Aaron? I can get a used but never wired/filled/sprayed Zex for 250. Still has the box i think! Its most definately the older module tho...the one that needs 4.2 volts...

And yes you can get bigger jets.....ive checked. Ill just be happy to get nitrous.....55 shot will be goood for a while. I know, I know......that wont last. I just want my motor too

Aaron
Old 09-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Re: Any new info?

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Find anything out Aaron? I can get a used but never wired/filled/sprayed Zex for 250. Still has the box i think! Its most definately the older module tho...the one that needs 4.2 volts...

And yes you can get bigger jets.....ive checked. Ill just be happy to get nitrous.....55 shot will be goood for a while. I know, I know......that wont last. I just want my motor too

Aaron
post digger
Old 09-13-2002, 02:33 PM

im confused

Quick Reply: HELP ME: I'm a newbie again!! (all NOS owners)