General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Knock sensor issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Knock sensor issues...

I installed a JWT ECU not long ago and then I started getting the 0304 code (knock sensor). So I call Nissan and asked them if I need to change the sensor or does it mean that it's detecting a knock and the sensor is actually okay. Well, they had no clue. So, I check on a new sensor. $165.00 !!!!! No thanks. Call the salvage yard. They have one for $15.00. That sounded much better. Then I think, well my wife has a '96 SE as well so I'll just switch our sensors and see if the problem follows the sensor or if it stays with my car. So I do that and now neither one of the cars has any codes coming up. I've been checking them about twice a week and for about two weeks all I get is the 0505 code (no malfunction). Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just don't understand why suddenly the problem is gone. It's as if my car didn't like that paticular knock sensor but the one from my wife's car suits it's fancy a little better. Anybody have any idea why this would happen?
Old 01-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Knock Sensor usually is trigged by another code.. my advice to you.. reset it.. see if it comes back in a week.. it might come back with an O2 sensor code.. if it does.. change the O2 sensor and the knock sensor code will go away..

if its just the Knock Sensor again.. you have no choice.. bad gas and open gas cap can also trip knock sensor code
Old 01-29-2002, 10:49 AM

It hasn't come back yet.

The only time it ever on with the check engine light was when I used my tranny resistor bypass switch. Then they would both come up. Every other time, there was no check engine light. I would just check the codes from time to time and I'd always get the knock sensor code but nothing else. I'd clear it, and a couple days later it'd come up again. It's been about 2 or 3 weeks now and no codes with the different sensor. NOTHING but the sensor has changed. 93 octane at every fill-up. All normal maintenance is current (plugs, fuel filter, PCV, etc.) I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if anything pops up. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:58 AM

Change it. Trust me. On the track and on the highway, the car will be faster. Almost a second faster.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by medicsonic
Change it. Trust me. On the track and on the highway, the car will be faster. Almost a second faster.
yup as greggy says.. if it keeps coming back.. then change it..
Old 01-29-2002, 11:09 AM

I will.

If it comes back one more time, I'll change it. Doesn't make too much sense to buy an advanced timing ECU just for it to get the timing retarded by a knock sensor. How common is it for these to go out? The reason I ask is, the guy at the salvage yard said I could come get one for $15, but if they are prone to going out I'd better just cough up the money for a new one. I wish there was a visual "knock monitor" or a "timing monitor".
Old 01-29-2002, 11:13 AM

Re: I will.

Originally posted by BSwithTF
If it comes back one more time, I'll change it. Doesn't make too much sense to buy an advanced timing ECU just for it to get the timing retarded by a knock sensor. How common is it for these to go out? The reason I ask is, the guy at the salvage yard said I could come get one for $15, but if they are prone to going out I'd better just cough up the money for a new one. I wish there was a visual "knock monitor" or a "timing monitor".
It seems as though most people have a 0304 code when they check the CEL. The sensor is exposed to every extreme possible. It sits on top of the engine block where it is exposed to extreme heat, vibration and moisture, all while using a rather fragile piezoelectric element. I'm amazed that they last more than a year myself.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I will.

Originally posted by medicsonic

It seems as though most people have a 0304 code when they check the CEL. The sensor is exposed to every extreme possible. It sits on top of the engine block where it is exposed to extreme heat, vibration and moisture, all while using a rather fragile piezoelectric element. I'm amazed that they last more than a year myself.
ya especialy where they are located, hidden, in a crack. i can't believe it, i wish i changed mine though before i sold it
Old 01-29-2002, 12:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Re: Re: Re: I will.

Where exacly is the knock sensor on a 4th gen?
Old 01-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Travis-

I'll check my Chilton's manual and tell you what the volts should be on the knock sensor, if you want.

BTW, are you going to Mo/Kan Dragway this Sunday for opening day? I am!!!!!! 40 degrees and sunny is the forecast.

Dave
Old 01-29-2002, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Travis-

I'll check my Chilton's manual and tell you what the volts should be on the knock sensor, if you want.

BTW, are you going to Mo/Kan Dragway this Sunday for opening day? I am!!!!!! 40 degrees and sunny is the forecast.

Dave
hopefully you can lower that 14.73 get that 60ft down man, i know you can.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
yup as greggy says.. if it keeps coming back.. then change it..
I'm with you. I've never bought into the philosophy of clearing out codes. It's like in NT/2000/XP Pro--you have an event viewer. It will tell you when some error takes place what have you. You don't solve the problem by deleting the log, and then checking the log a week later to see if anything appears. But I do see alot of people taking that philosophy. It's much harder to interpret the errors and fix the cause, but that's the old school way. Quality,if you will.

I actually hate the idea that mechanics probably do the same thing until your warranty is up, then they may suggest replacement
Old 01-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

hopefully you can lower that 14.73 get that 60ft down man, i know you can.
Thanks man. I'll be happy to get anything lower than a 14.7. A 14.5 would be wonderful.

Dave
Old 01-30-2002, 10:27 AM

Ya, I'll be there.

Travis-

Dave
Dave:

I REALLY hope the weather clears! Right now it's about 38 degrees and it's been raining/drizzling since yesterday. Temperatures are great but the rain's gonna ruin it if it doesn't quit.

I've got a Chilton's but I don't have a voltmeter capable of measuring it. I'm pretty sure I need to buy one for the shop I work at though. They (I) could really use it.

Others:

What octane should be run with a JWT ECU for best results? Highest I got around here is 93. Is that good enough?
Old 01-30-2002, 02:12 PM

Thanks man. I'll be happy to get anything lower than a 14.7. A 14.5 would be wonderful.

Dave

youuu cann do it