General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New here ( why maximas get no love )

Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 AM

New here ( why maximas get no love )

I have owned 1996 maxima 5 speed one of the best if not the best engine nissan ever made.. I have owned 2 810 maximas , but i have only the one now.

So i dont understand why maximas get no love... Even when you go to the meets of any kind you do not see many maximas..When you drive around town you see alot of them ,but in the car culture they are just left to us ( which is great ) which in time there is no support on these vehicles...

I am new person here on this forum, but i have owned more datsuns and nissan than many of you ( maybe ) maybe

Datsun 510 wagon napZ motor
Nissan sentra 1 gen 5 speed
Nissan sentra 2 gen ( box ) 5 speed
Nissan 240sx ( 2 ) of them
Infinty g20 automatic
Nissan Maxima 1996 5 speed
Datsun 810 maxima ( 2 ) of them 5 speed 1 was diesel

So even though I am new here I am not new to Datsun and Nissan
so my passion for them is deep to have them be respected in the streets
not just in a forum.. Even in this forum they have clicks and those that like and can buy the new maximas look down upon those that have old cars many will not admit this , but thats part of the problem.. Maxima is maxima old or new if you have 2017 or a 1981 rwd drive with a 2.4l or diesel we are 1.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM

that's a excellent question, I wondered the same, 15 years ago, this site was buzzing with a lot of guys raving about their cars, and modding and etc... but I think it died out somewhere between the 6th and 7th gen came out, I was disappointed with Nissan lately, especially when the 8gen came out, I have seriously considered getting myself one addition to my 2001 Maxima, but when I saw the car in person, LOVE THE DESIGN but the size of it is big as my 2008 Accord, so I drove it, love it but the CVT and the size really nix it for me, so I ended up trading my Accord for a new Mercedes E sport package, I don't think I would go back to Nissan for a while til they bring something like that concept IDX sport or the next gen Z depends on where it goes. So you're not alone, I still have love for Nissan for their bold forward thinking design but the soul of it kind of dead when Goshn made Altima mainstream and no one ever looked at Maxima as exciting anymore.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:21 PM

• "4DSC concept" died out (politics?) ... Look at how NA 6 cylinder is basically a dying breed now...
  • Target market for these cars aren't youngins who want to mod ... Therefore aftermarket support died out
  • after the gen 5.5 they became fat bloated, gen 6 got CVT and a lot of bad rep, gen 7 was meh etc etc
  • The gen 8 is a generic FWD luxury sedan and not very good bang for buck here in Canada.

I test drove a gen 8 SR model it didn't feel anything like a 4DSC. In one word it felt like a big Toyota Avalon alternative with some better "driving dynamics...

Infiniti is no better now. Where I live it's the car for upper-middle class soccer moms because they can get better bang for buck than a European equivalent ><. I can get a Acura TL SH-AWD with 6 speed but not a G37X or Q50 with MT? Boo

Last edited by george__; 09-22-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by george__
  • "4DSC concept" died out (politics?) ... Look at how NA 6 cylinder is basically a dying breed now...
  • Target market for these cars aren't youngins who want to mod ... Therefore aftermarket support died out
  • after the gen 5.5 they became fat bloated, gen 6 got CVT and a lot of bad rep, gen 7 was meh etc etc
  • The gen 8 is a generic FWD luxury sedan and not very good bang for buck here in Canada.

I test drove a gen 8 SR model it didn't feel anything like a 4DSC. In one word it felt like a big Toyota Avalon alternative with some better "driving dynamics...

Infiniti is no better now. Where I live it's the car for upper-middle class soccer moms because they can get better bang for buck than a European equivalent ><. I can get a Acura TL SH-AWD with 6 speed but not a G37X or Q50 with MT? Boo
That hurts, but all you mention is true the feeling is gone something was lost, the key reason ( I think is ) that we just dont stick with the brand even though we all went off and buy other cars many dont even own a old maxima that they like which kills the momentum off progress ( or change ) please note nissan reps do look at what we write we can change it, but the maxima support system is very very low..

sentra ( low )

alitma is a very nice car that semi higher than most family sedans of nissan

maxima finished

370z finished only cause its tapped out need to make 240sx s16 quickly

old 240sx keep the nissan name out thus meaning need to keep the old maxima that we like or liked going ( my opinion )
Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
that's a excellent question, I wondered the same, 15 years ago, this site was buzzing with a lot of guys raving about their cars, and modding and etc... but I think it died out somewhere between the 6th and 7th gen came out, I was disappointed with Nissan lately, especially when the 8gen came out, I have seriously considered getting myself one addition to my 2001 Maxima, but when I saw the car in person, LOVE THE DESIGN but the size of it is big as my 2008 Accord, so I drove it, love it but the CVT and the size really nix it for me, so I ended up trading my Accord for a new Mercedes E sport package, I don't think I would go back to Nissan for a while til they bring something like that concept IDX sport or the next gen Z depends on where it goes. So you're not alone, I still have love for Nissan for their bold forward thinking design but the soul of it kind of dead when Goshn made Altima mainstream and no one ever looked at Maxima as exciting anymore.
]

I thought it was just me ( so it isnt ) I watch other car brands BMW,HONDA,FORD,VW and such.. Now we like maximas, but we tend to go for the new models and leave the other gens behind ( almost pushed away ) I do understand the new, but if we support the older brands they would be forced to make something great.. 1 gen maxima so so I got one( its old so its cool and ugly ) 2 gen box but fast though not too bad I would get one this day...3rd gen it was so so, but can take wheels and lowering to make it look cool so the car is good..4th gen I like this one ( engine wise the best to me ) now 5th i love the body, but that 3.5 suck some oil, but body was cool though would get one.. 6 th gen nope 7th nope 8th good front, but nope..

So as you guys stated the young gen have not gravitated to maximas at all... Cause no body did nothing with them at all some what our doing (our lack of support ) online and offline ..I will always keep a maxima maybe we dont have to mod it up, but to show support cause i love the name, but as many of you guys stated that last model ( fanito )

THE OLD 240SX HAS PEOPLE TAKING ABOUT NISSAN
THE OLD 300ZX HAS PEOPLE WHISPERING
THEN DATSUN 510 AND 240Z THATS IT 210 AND THE OLD PICKUPS ALWAYS A CROWN TALKING ABOUT THOSE

So what can be done to change the landscape or the minds of those that own these.. when people customize it it fall short it really does so there is no attraction to the model at all.. I went to nissan day it was like yugo day very few cars 1 guy had a 8 gen maxima ( tough ) bad *** thats it nissan day with no datsuns now nissan bought into Mitz now more issues
Old 09-23-2016, 08:06 PM

As you can see one guy says the new maxima is like a over size avalon the other switched up and bought a benz..at my home right now brother has a 7 gen maxima sister has the little truck there is s12 my son has i have maxima and my nephew has 240sx niece has a altima now out of the altima line up the ugliest Alitma was the best one (1st gen ) that thing runs and runs may have huge exhaust leak , but goes you can pick one up for pennies and roll.. new cars seem more garbage with trans issues
Old 09-27-2016, 04:29 PM

I had another thread about what happened in my opinion, but basically it just flatlined for me. They clearly don't believe it is worth it to even put in a new engine (VQ37). Current engine has been in the maxima since the 2002 Maixma. 15 years now. They put a CVT, removed the manual option, and made it a lot bulkier. They are also lagging behind competitors by not going AWD.

I may be wrong, but the people buying a new maxima now are not looking for the same things in a car as the previous generations were.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Yeah, I always thought it was a shame that this site seemed to be way less active. I'm also on a Corvette forum and it's super active, but then again Chevy cares about the Vette and it has a large following. Maximas sadly never really got there, and I think Nissan's direction really did it in. Half the newer style Maximas I ever see in my area have oversized rims and chrome all over them, so while you could make a case that some people still like Maximas I think the guys doing that stuff would be just as content jumping to another brand. My guess is the people who loved these cars drove them until they wore out and instead of hunting down another one, just moved on to something else that had a more active community (Subaru, BMW, etc).

My father owns a 6th gen and I have my 5.5 gen, and even for me I'm much more indifferent towards the 6th gen (though I do have some love for it). I hate CVTs, so Nissan basically makes nothing I'd buy anymore. All that has a manual in it are the base model junk with 4 cylinders or the 370z (which is a huge disappointment, and long in tooth). I thought about a G37 Sport sedan, but it only comes in RWD. If it came in AWD and kept the stick option, I'd go for it but eh.

Nissan aren't the only ones disappointing these days though, everything is moving towards smaller engines with turbos and more CVTs and automatics. More complexity in cars and there's no real net benefit to an enthusiast. More junk to break and make the car last less on top of sucking all the fun out of driving it too. If I had to replace the Maxima for some reason, I'm leaning towards a Lexus with AWD. Sucks to have to get an auto instead of manual, but everything else about them is nice. It's either that or get some underpowered car like a Mazda sedan with a clutch, ironically for a brand with a slogan of zoom zoom almost all their cars now are dreadfully slow since the Mazdaspeeds have been killed off.

Last edited by Vistance; 09-30-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Vistance
Yeah, I always thought it was a shame that this site seemed to be way less active. I'm also on a Corvette forum and it's super active, but then again Chevy cares about the Vette and it has a large following. Maximas sadly never really got there, and I think Nissan's direction really did it in. Half the newer style Maximas I ever see in my area have oversized rims and chrome all over them, so while you could make a case that some people still like Maximas I think the guys doing that stuff would be just as content jumping to another brand. My guess is the people who loved these cars drove them until they wore out and instead of hunting down another one, just moved on to something else that had a more active community (Subaru, BMW, etc).

My father owns a 6th gen and I have my 5.5 gen, and even for me I'm much more indifferent towards the 6th gen (though I do have some love for it). I hate CVTs, so Nissan basically makes nothing I'd buy anymore. All that has a manual in it are the base model junk with 4 cylinders or the 370z (which is a huge disappointment, and long in tooth). I thought about a G37 Sport sedan, but it only comes in RWD. If it came in AWD and kept the stick option, I'd go for it but eh.

Nissan aren't the only ones disappointing these days though, everything is moving towards smaller engines with turbos and more CVTs and automatics. More complexity in cars and there's no real net benefit to an enthusiast. More junk to break and make the car last less on top of sucking all the fun out of driving it too. If I had to replace the Maxima for some reason, I'm leaning towards a Lexus with AWD. Sucks to have to get an auto instead of manual, but everything else about them is nice. It's either that or get some underpowered car like a Mazda sedan with a clutch, ironically for a brand with a slogan of zoom zoom almost all their cars now are dreadfully slow since the Mazdaspeeds have been killed off.
Right, it's basically just due to a shift in what they're marketing the car toward. In 2002 when the 5.5 gen was released, look at the other options on the market. Nothing came close to the fun and quality per dollar value of the maxima. Now, they have hot hatches that are just as fun and cheaper plus the cars in the mid-size sedan category are all very similar in performance and options with basically only the styling to differentiate them.

My last car was a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe v6 6mt. If there's one car on today's market that was the maxima equivalent, that was it.... it was only missing two doors, and unfortunately you can't get the sedan with a v6 6MT. My current 2015 BMW 335i 6MT is a blast to drive, but my maxima still puts a smile on my face in that it does everything I want it to do the second I want it to. No electrical nannies bogging me down, just a clutch, no TCS, and a N/A v6 with some *****. Those days are gone.

Last edited by LA02MAX; 10-03-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 AM

correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC you also got a VW golf right after maxima too, however short it was?? i may be thinking wrong but.. =)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

why it died?
Let's take a look at how the landscape of cars back then....
in the 90s infiniti made ok cars that rode on nissan built platforms (J30 (maxima), Q45 (JDM nissan platform), G20(sentra)).
late 90s nissan was going through massive debt so they left the motor in there from 4th to early 5th gen.
maxima was the shining star of the nissan brand. then came the redesigned altima. early altimas were a niche fit between the smaller and compact sentra and the larger maxima. for some reason nissan decided that the altima should be bigger...and should have the same engine as the maxima but with a cheaper price tag. what happens? sales of the more popular altima went up and the maxima took a back seat. that was the start of the decline. this was around the 5th gen era of maximas. from there nissan showed no love to the maxima since it wasn't making the $ that nissan wanted to see. they basically put maxima on a deserted island and let the brand name rot while the altima gets a SE-R version and even manual transmission.

then enter the G35/G37....for a few grand more you can get a car with AWD instead of the FWD of the other nissans. this was the last nail on the coffin for the maxima. people flocked to the AWD platform. Maxima lost even more market share of it's brand...(whatever was left of it).

why do corvette forums get more action....corvette owners are more active b/c there's a long legacy of the brand and there's a good deal of aftermarket support on them. also you usually don't get a vette for daily driver duties so it's more of a hobby for the owners.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you can thank EPA for the smaller displacement motors with turbos.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by criminalslang810
That hurts, but all you mention is true the feeling is gone something was lost, the key reason ( I think is ) that we just dont stick with the brand even though we all went off and buy other cars many dont even own a old maxima that they like which kills the momentum off progress ( or change ) please note nissan reps do look at what we write we can change it, but the maxima support system is very very low..

sentra ( low )

maxima finished

old 240sx keep the nissan name out thus meaning need to keep the old maxima that we like or liked going ( my opinion )
no...nissan doesn't care what we write, that's a fact. they stopped catering to the enthusiasts and they want to build cars that sells with the highest profit margins. cars that don't sell gets no "support system".

old 240SX (S13/S14) came with a great platform. lights, RWD, 4 cyl motor. people can do so much with them.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM

great read and makes tons of sense, sometimes people forget that business is about money, and though companies of any nature may have good intentions the ultimate motivation is money.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
you can thank EPA for the smaller displacement motors with turbos.
I know it. Because Europe is cruising around with 50 mpg cars and we're still struggling to get 30 mpg as an average. Biggest reason is trucks and utility vehicles that still can't muster more than 20 MPG, but they're still selling like hotcakes. So instead of getting rid of and downsizing what we really don't need (as if every last person needs a full size V8 truck and utility vehicle), they're just downsizing and squeezing it out of the cars because they can't dare mess with trucks and utility vehicles.

It sucks because I can see in the future where all the cars are going to have small engines with turbos and all that will have the big engines will be trucks and utility vehicles. I hate Ford but I guess to their credit that's what their turbo V6's are trying to do in the trucks. Better progress than anyone else has made at fixing the real root of those stupid gas mileage laws.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:29 PM

Well frankly the maxima is a **** platform no matter what gen you have, maybe the 1st gen is a little better than the rest. I mean the 4th and 5th gen have beam rear axles. Seriously. And now with the 350Z becoming so cheap and having essentially the same engine. Why bother with the maxima. You only do it if you just love the novelty of the car. Not for attention or any kind of gratitude.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Well frankly the maxima is a **** platform no matter what gen you have, maybe the 1st gen is a little better than the rest. I mean the 4th and 5th gen have beam rear axles. Seriously. And now with the 350Z becoming so cheap and having essentially the same engine. Why bother with the maxima. You only do it if you just love the novelty of the car. Not for attention or any kind of gratitude.
A 350z is hardly comparable to a Maxima. It's a low to the ground 2-seater with little space that isn't very comfortable to drive. It's also awfully noisy and rough, nothing like the smoothness of a Maxima. I had some guy in a 350z kick it in front of me from a dig at a light and the Maxima was right there on him, smelled the exhaust from him going WOT. I'm sure a 350z would edge out, but the Maxima doesn't get left in the dust by a 350z and has a lot more on offer than the Z in the realm of practicality. Riced up 350z's are awfully common so I don't have a very good image of them in my head.

The Honda Accord V6 manual coupe is the closest modern day thing, but you lose the back doors and I don't like the looks as much. Every other car out there is either a budget car with no features or power or made by BMW or Audi or some other company that makes cars you'd only ever own with a warranty for their reliability. Focus ST - it's an awful Ford, it has the douchiest following, and it's merely as fast as the Maxima but with questionable Ford reliability. VW GTI - douchey VW owners (Focus ST probably stole some of them away), unreliable, not even that fast unless modded.

It's nothing to do with novelty, and all about how the car is actually better than most of the alternatives. What Japanese car out there has some luxury features, good performance (for a sedan), and comes in manual? Acura TL is the best I can think of, though the style on that newer one...
Old 10-05-2016, 04:23 AM

A 350z is hardly comparable to a Maxima. It's a low to the ground 2-seater with little space that isn't very comfortable to drive. It's also awfully noisy and rough, nothing like the smoothness of a Maxima. I had some guy in a 350z kick it in front of me from a dig at a light and the Maxima was right there on him, smelled the exhaust from him going WOT. I'm sure a 350z would edge out, but the Maxima doesn't get left in the dust by a 350z and has a lot more on offer than the Z in the realm of practicality. Riced up 350z's are awfully common so I don't have a very good image of them in my head.

The Honda Accord V6 manual coupe is the closest modern day thing, but you lose the back doors and I don't like the looks as much. Every other car out there is either a budget car with no features or power or made by BMW or Audi or some other company that makes cars you'd only ever own with a warranty for their reliability. Focus ST - it's an awful Ford, it has the douchiest following, and it's merely as fast as the Maxima but with questionable Ford reliability. VW GTI - douchey VW owners (Focus ST probably stole some of them away), unreliable, not even that fast unless modded.

It's nothing to do with novelty, and all about how the car is actually better than most of the alternatives. What Japanese car out there has some luxury features, good performance (for a sedan), and comes in manual? Acura TL is the best I can think of, though the style on that newer one...
You need to pay attention to what im saying as far as modifications go the Z is a MUCH better option. which is what people really want to do modify their cars. Comfort is subjective because you'll say all that and the next person to post will have K-sport or D2 coilovers. Personally i have BC coilovers on my car. So its a non factor point. Plus the G35 sedan cost the same amount of money if not less than the 350Z and its just better than the maxima please dont even try to argue that point.

Engines are the same and the weight of the car is the same so no real surprise you kept up with one in a straight line. Add a corner and you'll see nothing but tail lights. so its not an arguing point unless your saying there is another platform you like OVER the 350Z.

Remember this is coming from somebody who built and still owns a turbo 4th gen. This platform is **** lol, it just is. It will make power but it will not put it to the ground.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

You need to pay attention to what im saying as far as modifications go the Z is a MUCH better option. which is what people really want to do modify their cars. Comfort is subjective because you'll say all that and the next person to post will have K-sport or D2 coilovers. Personally i have BC coilovers on my car. So its a non factor point. Plus the G35 sedan cost the same amount of money if not less than the 350Z and its just better than the maxima please dont even try to argue that point.

Engines are the same and the weight of the car is the same so no real surprise you kept up with one in a straight line. Add a corner and you'll see nothing but tail lights. so its not an arguing point unless your saying there is another platform you like OVER the 350Z.

Remember this is coming from somebody who built and still owns a turbo 4th gen. This platform is **** lol, it just is. It will make power but it will not put it to the ground.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I know it. Because Europe is cruising around with 50 mpg cars and we're still struggling to get 30 mpg as an average. Biggest reason is trucks and utility vehicles that still can't muster more than 20 MPG, but they're still selling like hotcakes. So instead of getting rid of and downsizing what we really don't need (as if every last person needs a full size V8 truck and utility vehicle), they're just downsizing and squeezing it out of the cars because they can't dare mess with trucks and utility vehicles.

It sucks because I can see in the future where all the cars are going to have small engines with turbos and all that will have the big engines will be trucks and utility vehicles. I hate Ford but I guess to their credit that's what their turbo V6's are trying to do in the trucks. Better progress than anyone else has made at fixing the real root of those stupid gas mileage laws.
oy...
ok why does european countries have 50mpg cars? because their fuel/gas/petrol is very expensive. so there's a massive demand for high mpg cars since fuel cost is a big chunk of car ownership.

the US of A gets cheap gas. yes under 3 dollars is cheap...even under 4 dollars a gallons is considered cheap by european standards. this mean the appetite for large SUVs and cross overs are high. SUVs and cross overs are out selling passenger cars.

so why the smaller motors?
EPA allows for each manufacturer to make only so many vehicles with large displacement motors. the manufacturers must offset this by producing hybrids and vehicles with smaller displacement motors. if you upset this balance EPA tacks on a fee for every large displacement vehicle you produce. so for every big V8 motor they have a make a small 1.3 motor (not direct 1 to 1 but you get the gist). now comes the turbos...yup they are getting to the point that it's cheap enough to throw in cheaper cars. the turbo will off set the lack of power from a lower displacement motor so now everyone is happy.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:13 AM

People talk about handling a lot on cars, but I really have no idea where this mystical place is people can use it just driving around on the streets. I'm not saying you can't feel it going around an on ramp or a windy road, but my previous cars were super mushy handling '90s GM luxury barges and never felt like they were going to careen off the road if I went into a corner a bit quick.

I was going stock for stock, I know mods can mess with the ride on anything. My other car is a C5 Z06, so a 350z has no appeal to me being a slower and worse version of my Z06. I like the Maxima for it's practicality and comfort, and it's not a slow slushbox car. I don't see a 350z for less than $10k in these parts and that's for an '03-'05 oil burner. G35's are cheaper, but the better platform would be an AWD one and those are uncommon and available in auto only which makes it patently worse than the Maxima with a 6-speed.

I thought on it some more and I probably would say an Acura TL is a newer better version of the Maxima as it once was. TL Type S has some nice get up and go, looks nice, reliable, and equipped with an NA V6. The newer ones with the SH-AWD are even better, but absolutely need a grille mod. They're better as a platform though with even more power, AWD, and available with a stick. The merits of RWD are really only usable on a track, for a DD I'll take FWD or AWD all day. Won't see me out plowing snow with the Z06 this winter, plus a backseat and trunk comes in handy since I'm not a race car driver...

Also to the point about EPA stuff, I'd posit that removing power from the trucks and utility vehicles is where it should be coming from. Every little girl doesn't need to drive a Tahoe or Yukon to shop at the mall, contrary to what they may think. I'm well aware as a general we waste more resources just because we can. Some day we'll have no gas left and it'll all seem a quaint dream that cars once made noise besides whirring. I just hope we get more Tesla style stuff, less Chevy Volt/Nissan Leaf/etc.

Last edited by Vistance; 10-05-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 PM

People talk about handling a lot on cars, but I really have no idea where this mystical place is people can use it just driving around on the streets. I'm not saying you can't feel it going around an on ramp or a windy road, but my previous cars were super mushy handling '90s GM luxury barges and never felt like they were going to careen off the road if I went into a corner a bit quick.

I was going stock for stock, I know mods can mess with the ride on anything. My other car is a C5 Z06, so a 350z has no appeal to me being a slower and worse version of my Z06. I like the Maxima for it's practicality and comfort, and it's not a slow slushbox car. I don't see a 350z for less than $10k in these parts and that's for an '03-'05 oil burner. G35's are cheaper, but the better platform would be an AWD one and those are uncommon and available in auto only which makes it patently worse than the Maxima with a 6-speed.

I thought on it some more and I probably would say an Acura TL is a newer better version of the Maxima as it once was. TL Type S has some nice get up and go, looks nice, reliable, and equipped with an NA V6. The newer ones with the SH-AWD are even better, but absolutely need a grille mod. They're better as a platform though with even more power, AWD, and available with a stick. The merits of RWD are really only usable on a track, for a DD I'll take FWD or AWD all day. Won't see me out plowing snow with the Z06 this winter, plus a backseat and trunk comes in handy since I'm not a race car driver...

Also to the point about EPA stuff, I'd posit that removing power from the trucks and utility vehicles is where it should be coming from. Every little girl doesn't need to drive a Tahoe or Yukon to shop at the mall, contrary to what they may think. I'm well aware as a general we waste more resources just because we can. Some day we'll have no gas left and it'll all seem a quaint dream that cars once made noise besides whirring. I just hope we get more Tesla style stuff, less Chevy Volt/Nissan Leaf/etc.
If you can't find a Z for LESS than a 10K then you are not looking. I can find at least 5 Zs where ever you are for less than the G35 coupe. That's just fact. **** i can find a Z in decent condition for 5k IN YOUR AREA.

Even an Auto AWD G35 is better than the Maxima. Seriously its not even an argument. It just is. The auto trans is not a bad transmission in the G35s. As far as the TL is concerned for performance, modablity, economy the TSX is better, but the new ones are UGLY. just but ugly cars. The 04-08s are the cars to buys.

I DD a 545i and its just light years better than the maximas. But also i never have any issues with it in weather outside of snow. But that's more of a tire issue and slow the **** down. With chains i never have issues with grip. But as far as economy is concerned. Its not any better or any worse than a normal American V8 powered car. as far as DISPLACEMENT to HP(actual engine's physical size is a different story) yea for its time for a 4.4L to output 330hp is good. But these days its output is low for the engine size.

As i'm saying in any quantifiable way that is not subjective there are better options than the maxima. Just do it because you like the car, in other words: novelty. But trying to justify it being better than other cars? That's just a losing argument. Even on this website dedicated to maximas, we all already understand.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:49 AM

People talk about handling a lot on cars, but I really have no idea where this mystical place is people can use it just driving around on the streets. I'm not saying you can't feel it going around an on ramp or a windy road.
I feel my handling modifications constantly and more often than power modifications.... regardless of where I am, that mystical place is the open road.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 AM

But trying to justify it being better than other cars? That's just a losing argument. Even on this website dedicated to maximas, we all already understand.
+1
Old 10-06-2016, 05:16 AM

I just hope we get more Tesla style stuff, less Chevy Volt/Nissan Leaf/etc.
Back to this point real quick. The Leaf/Volt/Tesla's those are just fades. they will go away soon enough. Hydrogen is the future. Always was always will be, because it is infinite, we will never run out of hydrogen. The only problem is figuring out storage of hydrogen but gas powered engines with some modification can run off of hydrogen, so its just a matter of time. Will we see it in our lifetime, probably not a complete hydrogen take over but they will start popping up here and there.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:41 AM

If you can't find a Z for LESS than a 10K then you are not looking. I can find at least 5 Zs where ever you are for less than the G35 coupe. That's just fact. **** i can find a Z in decent condition for 5k IN YOUR AREA.

Even an Auto AWD G35 is better than the Maxima. Seriously its not even an argument. It just is. The auto trans is not a bad transmission in the G35s. As far as the TL is concerned for performance, modablity, economy the TSX is better, but the new ones are UGLY. just but ugly cars. The 04-08s are the cars to buys.

I DD a 545i and its just light years better than the maximas. But also i never have any issues with it in weather outside of snow. But that's more of a tire issue and slow the **** down. With chains i never have issues with grip. But as far as economy is concerned. Its not any better or any worse than a normal American V8 powered car. as far as DISPLACEMENT to HP(actual engine's physical size is a different story) yea for its time for a 4.4L to output 330hp is good. But these days its output is low for the engine size.

As i'm saying in any quantifiable way that is not subjective there are better options than the maxima. Just do it because you like the car, in other words: novelty. But trying to justify it being better than other cars? That's just a losing argument. Even on this website dedicated to maximas, we all already understand.
You can find some beat up high mile junker for under $10k, I found one or two but if you want a nice one that hasn't been riced out I didn't see any for less. G35's sure, but not 350zs - but there are so many douchebags with G35's, several asshats that drive them around my area who I'm convinced are Mustang guys just driving an Infiniti instead. In no way would I settle for the sloppy automatics in Nissan/Infiniti before the G37's 7 speed, which shifts a lot better than the old ones. Still, I had a '13 Mustang GT auto and that automatic sucked. I preferred to drive the Maxima to it, because nothing ruins the fun like sucky wishy washy autos that hunt for gears and downshift too eagerly and then lurch when they go back to the gear they should've been in. I'm sure a manual in that car is much more fun, if it wasn't a piece of junk.

How is a TSX better than a TL? It's an Acura Accord. Personally I wouldn't want to own any 4 cylinder, and performance wise it would take much more to get it even as fast as the 6 cylinder let alone faster. From what I'm seeing all the TSX's V6's are autos too. This:

vs. this...yeah the TL is much better looking. You're thinking of the stock grille, which is easily solved with a custom one. TSX with 201 HP or TL with 305 HP and SH-AWD, pretty easy choice IMO.

It's funny you mentioned a 545i, I drove a 6-speed one a few years ago that looked mint. Ignoring the stupid error messages that it kept showing (Because it was a BMW with 100k miles, i.e. used up) it really wasn't that impressive. I went in expecting "the ultimate driving machine" but it drove about like most other cars I've looked at. Decently powerful, but didn't feel noticeably faster than the old Northstar Cadillac I owned years ago. Except the BMW was far more pricey and full of electrical gremlins, problems that don't plague Japanese cars even a fraction as often. German cars are all very unimpressive, the only ones I care for are Audi's with the 5 cylinder and even then it's just because I really like 5 cylinder engines and their unique sound. I liked Volvo until they stopped putting them in their cars.

I really don't need to justify the Maxima as better, it already is. For the money it costs and for what it offers, the only thing else out there that I think might be better is the Acura TL. Other than that, I got nothing. 4 cylinders suck, German cars are unreliable and depreciate horribly, American cars are typically extremely bland and I'd only consider GMs reliable. Much better cars exist at high price points, but I don't see a need to dump that much money into a depreciating asset like a car when a much cheaper one does such a decent job. I'd say a Focus ST might be a modern version, but it gets Ford's awful reliability, it screams immaturity with its design, and so far every Focus ST that has tried the Maxima is dead even matched. $20k+ or $4-5k for the same thing, except not unreliable (Oh right, the Maxima's handling means it will drive right off the road when a corner shows up ).

I use the power on my Maxima and my Z06 every time I drive them and run through the gears (Ok, I do it less on the Z06 but still). Handling wise, lol I mean I go around on ramps at slightly faster speeds sometimes. I'd hate to be you people who **** all over a car's handling if it's not "perfect" that really doesn't matter at all for driving on the street. The Maxima handles better than the vast majority of overweight cars on the road anyway, so how it "loses" I'm still not getting. No, I guess it won't beat a 2-seater sports car but then again the perfect car doesn't exist out there. If ya think Maximas are such a bad platform, why even come here anymore anyway? The "novelty"?

Last edited by Vistance; 10-06-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Offer a manual transmission into the Q50!!!!

Make a Q50 comparable to the Audi S4 , BMW 340 etc
Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 AM

To me the "Bean Counters" who seek to gain bonuses by trimming costs on low margin products and services are usually behind the changes we dislike most.

Short sighted decisions for the sake of turning a profit during a weak quarter or year have brought down many a great company.

I've seen a car make model go from being the most popular in the U.S. to out of business.

Olds Cutlass. The best selling car in the U.S during the mid 70s. The product death-march started with cost control measures in mid 1977. While never a large seller, you could get a manual transmission coupled to a muscle car engine until the product was eventually "right sized" in 1978 and fitted with a nameless Chevy engine.

The brand lost me when I transitioned from a hot rod kid with a 4-4-2 (4 speed) to a young IT professional just as Olds was becoming Chevyfied. I would have no part of GM B-O-P division Chevyfication movement and found happiness in a Datsun by Nissan 280ZX with a 5-speed. At least Nissan seemed true to something during those days and I learned about enthusiast car clubs through a friend who introduced me to the Z club. All of my passion for owning a performance Olds shifted to a performance Nissan that I could top out at roughly 130 mph.

While not hugely popular, I do like the Infiniti brand. Overall I think Infiniti is still one of the last true driver's cars. I do like the looks of the Q50 and the non-Mercedes platform. I dream about owning a Q70L (5.6) AWD someday. My antique Q45 still scratches a performance V8 itch that I've had since I was a teen.

Name:  Engine_Compartment.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  100.7 KB
Old 10-07-2016, 01:48 AM

You can find some beat up high mile junker for under $10k, I found one or two but if you want a nice one that hasn't been riced out I didn't see any for less. G35's sure, but not 350zs - but there are so many douchebags with G35's, several asshats that drive them around my area who I'm convinced are Mustang guys just driving an Infiniti instead. In no way would I settle for the sloppy automatics in Nissan/Infiniti before the G37's 7 speed, which shifts a lot better than the old ones. Still, I had a '13 Mustang GT auto and that automatic sucked. I preferred to drive the Maxima to it, because nothing ruins the fun like sucky wishy washy autos that hunt for gears and downshift too eagerly and then lurch when they go back to the gear they should've been in. I'm sure a manual in that car is much more fun, if it wasn't a piece of junk.

How is a TSX better than a TL? It's an Acura Accord. Personally I wouldn't want to own any 4 cylinder, and performance wise it would take much more to get it even as fast as the 6 cylinder let alone faster. From what I'm seeing all the TSX's V6's are autos too. This:
[IMG]https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima.org-vbulletin/1280x854/80-tesxv61_9322d921a79d7d9899d0de4fbb3d0f6eef616MG]

vs. this...yeah the TL is much better looking. You're thinking of the stock grille, which is easily solved with a custom one. TSX with 201 HP or TL with 305 HP and SH-AWD, pretty easy choice IMO.
[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima.org-vbulletin/932x700/80-53_4ed8c328087a74adf5986638a1fa6bc832643dMG]

It's funny you mentioned a 545i, I drove a 6-speed one a few years ago that looked mint. Ignoring the stupid error messages that it kept showing (Because it was a BMW with 100k miles, i.e. used up) it really wasn't that impressive. I went in expecting "the ultimate driving machine" but it drove about like most other cars I've looked at. Decently powerful, but didn't feel noticeably faster than the old Northstar Cadillac I owned years ago. Except the BMW was far more pricey and full of electrical gremlins, problems that don't plague Japanese cars even a fraction as often. German cars are all very unimpressive, the only ones I care for are Audi's with the 5 cylinder and even then it's just because I really like 5 cylinder engines and their unique sound. I liked Volvo until they stopped putting them in their cars.

I really don't need to justify the Maxima as better, it already is. For the money it costs and for what it offers, the only thing else out there that I think might be better is the Acura TL. Other than that, I got nothing. 4 cylinders suck, German cars are unreliable and depreciate horribly, American cars are typically extremely bland and I'd only consider GMs reliable. Much better cars exist at high price points, but I don't see a need to dump that much money into a depreciating asset like a car when a much cheaper one does such a decent job. I'd say a Focus ST might be a modern version, but it gets Ford's awful reliability, it screams immaturity with its design, and so far every Focus ST that has tried the Maxima is dead even matched. $20k+ or $4-5k for the same thing, except not unreliable (Oh right, the Maxima's handling means it will drive right off the road when a corner shows up ).

I use the power on my Maxima and my Z06 every time I drive them and run through the gears (Ok, I do it less on the Z06 but still). Handling wise, lol I mean I go around on ramps at slightly faster speeds sometimes. I'd hate to be you people who **** all over a car's handling if it's not "perfect" that really doesn't matter at all for driving on the street. The Maxima handles better than the vast majority of overweight cars on the road anyway, so how it "loses" I'm still not getting. No, I guess it won't beat a 2-seater sports car but then again the perfect car doesn't exist out there. If ya think Maximas are such a bad platform, why even come here anymore anyway? The "novelty"?
lol God man, you are pretty thick. You really do not know how to search for cars. 350Zs ARE CHEAP. Far less than 10k will get you a good 350Z. Maybe back in 2010 they were more than 10k but not definitely not now.

The 545i is a 4000lbs sedan did you expect it to blow your mind with how much HP it has, Drive an M5 for that lol. The TSX i believe is based on the Accord Euro R. The TL is based on the USDM Accord. for the years i was speaking about(2004-2008). In addition the TSX 4cyl that K series is actually more potent than the VQ. Yes that 4 cyl as far as engineering is concerned it is superior. The J series is the lesser engine than the VQ. The newer models i dont even care about, they are just far to ugly. Both the TL and the TSX are ugly. German cars are not unreliable also. they require you to maintain them. Just like any other car. Just the maintenance interval is more frequent than your average Nissan and Toyota. Our BMW has only broken ONCE in the past 4 years. And it was because of moisture entering the valvetronic solenoid. It just needed to dry and has worked perfectly ever sense. Most of the common parts for the 545i are actually CHEAPER than the Maxima. The problem is most people do not know how to work on German cars because they are engineered slightly differently from most other cars, and they use torks bits and allen keys ALOT. So most people have to pay somebody to maintain them driving up the maintenance cost.

My turbo 4th gen is likely more powerful than your Z06. But its not a better car by any stretch of the imagination. From some highway roll it might be faster but just in that straight line. Seriously. What I'm saying if you like the car than modify work on it do whatever you want its your money. But when it comes down to justifying one car being better than the other, especially since you have a 5th gen, yea, No, its good to DD you to work and that's about it. The maxima is a **** platform for modification other than a simple DD. The novelty of car is why i modify it, to be vastly different from everybody else. Thats why i do it. The 545i in actuality stock, if you drive it and Maxima back to back, is easier to drive, handles better and likely faster around town despite its 1000lbs extra weight. And most definitely the BMW is faster around a track. This platform would struggle to put down 250whp let alone the +400whp it will likely make.

Last edited by Crusher103; 10-07-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 AM

love the knowledge and opinions crusher

im still figuring out what to get after this one I am at 202k now
Old 10-07-2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99

Personally i want a E46 3 series as a DD. Just because its a decent car, it has aged well and its cheap to maintain. Ive always liked the E46, over any other BMW. The only thing that scares me is they have subframe issues. It is easily repairable but its a JOB AND A HALF to do. Because you have to drop the whole rear end and suspension to do it. I was also look into to IS300 and G35 sedan, but all those cars are just wanna be E46s so why not just get the E46.

IF i were to get a FWD sedan, it would definitely be a 04-08 TSX. In all honesty that is such a great put together little car. It can do just about anything you want it too, its generally comfortable, has all the available creature comforts if you want them, and in my eyes is one of the best looking FWD sedans on the road. I think going to the K series from the VQ is more of a side step, because it is still a 4 cyl engine, but once it comes down to modification. The options are endless. Literally. That's what pulls it even.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:01 AM

Name:  tsxtsx.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 10-07-2016, 06:08 AM

yea ugh... i wonder how they r w rust, i was googling quick and couldnt find much.... but eh... idk

and i have only had maximas in my short life, so its hard to imagine owning a 4 banger tho ! (i have of course driven them)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:16 AM

yea ugh... i wonder how they r w rust, i was googling quick and couldnt find much.... but eh... idk

and i have only had maximas in my short life, so its hard to imagine owning a 4 banger tho ! (i have of course driven them)
I've never owned a 4cyl myself but it is a smooth 4 banger. I've driven one and it wasn't bad. Decent power was available it never struggled at any point with the car's weight. I have not heard of any rust issues related to the TSX. I have heard some worries about the leather in them being a bit fragile so you have to maintain the interior thoroughly for it to last. But i have never seen a modern Acura with ripped or torn leather.

But i'd love to have a 6spd TSX, just light mods. Springs, TL front brakes, wheels, light and conservative exhaust work. DD the ***** off it.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:22 AM

my buddie has a 2005 i think, has leather black on black, i dont think he has any rust !! i gotta see what kinda mileage he has, maybe i by that off him once he gets i need a new car bug

i wonder what the subtle differences are up to 2008

i gotta do way more research....also 2.4 L from 3.5 L would be tough
Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM

lol God man, you are pretty thick. You really do not know how to search for cars. 350Zs ARE CHEAP. Far less than 10k will get you a good 350Z. Maybe back in 2010 they were more than 10k but not definitely not now.
Maybe in your part of the country, around here they're not that cheap. But w/e...

German cars are not unreliable also.
If you say so. Every reliability ranking I've seen both by major companies and independently reported rank German cars pretty low. I researched for ages trying to find a reliable German car (BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes) and each one had some huge glaring pitfalls. It's usually the cooling systems. Lots of their designs are over complicated and end up being unreliable as a result. The only ones that seemed like they might be ok are the base models with minimal features, like a 325i. But then what's the point if all you get is some slow car with no power or features? Methinks it's a lot to do with showing off, I just laugh at BMWs and Mercedes now. They can enjoy their showing off and their repair bills. Can't match anything Japanese. Lexus is tops in reliability and has been for a long time. Even a flagship Lexus LS loaded with gadgets has very little go wrong. If I wanted a big cruiser car, that's what I'd be looking for, not some awful S-class Mercedes/7-series BMW/A8 Audi. It's also why they don't hold value, because no one wants to dump $1-2k in "preventative" maintenance every year.

Last edited by Vistance; 10-07-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

The 545i is a 4000lbs sedan did you expect it to blow your mind with how much HP it has, Drive an M5 for that lol. The TSX i believe is based on the Accord Euro R. The TL is based on the USDM Accord. for the years i was speaking about(2004-2008). In addition the TSX 4cyl that K series is actually more potent than the VQ. Yes that 4 cyl as far as engineering is concerned it is superior. The J series is the lesser engine than the VQ. The newer models i dont even care about, they are just far to ugly. Both the TL and the TSX are ugly. German cars are not unreliable also. they require you to maintain them. Just like any other car. Just the maintenance interval is more frequent than your average Nissan and Toyota. Our BMW has only broken ONCE in the past 4 years. And it was because of moisture entering the valvetronic solenoid. It just needed to dry and has worked perfectly ever sense. Most of the common parts for the 545i are actually CHEAPER than the Maxima. The problem is most people do not know how to work on German cars because they are engineered slightly differently from most other cars, and they use torks bits and allen keys ALOT. So most people have to pay somebody to maintain them driving up the maintenance cost.

My turbo 4th gen is likely more powerful than your Z06. But its not a better car by any stretch of the imagination. From some highway roll it might be faster but just in that straight line. Seriously. What I'm saying if you like the car than modify work on it do whatever you want its your money. But when it comes down to justifying one car being better than the other, especially since you have a 5th gen, yea, No, its good to DD you to work and that's about it. The maxima is a **** platform for modification other than a simple DD. The novelty of car is why i modify it, to be vastly different from everybody else. Thats why i do it. The 545i in actuality stock, if you drive it and Maxima back to back, is easier to drive, handles better and likely faster around town despite its 1000lbs extra weight. And most definitely the BMW is faster around a track. This platform would struggle to put down 250whp let alone the +400whp it will likely make.
put the crack pipe down son.
what's your sample side of german cars?!!? ONE? ONE effin BMW that you own that you picked up used. yeah a broken watch is right twice a day. please man.

Audi
S4 that have motors that blow up (cam chain...yah the one in the back)
S6 they are giving away these cars b/c you'll need to drop the entire motor to get to a part in the back that frequent repair.

VW...i don't really consider these as "german" but it's known that the only thing that works perfectly is their check engine light.

BMW
M5 yup spun bearings if you don't change the oil at exactly the second the car needs it. SMG...wheeeeee...5k to 8K for repair that gem of a transmission...and no...it's just the shifting/clutch part. not the actual transmission internals.
E46 yah subframe.
E90/E92 talk to me about how "reliable" is their direct injection system is with constant failed fuel components.

Mercedes
honestly i can't say much about these since i don't have much first hand experience but during the time chrysler owned them they made some really iffy vehicles.

here's the reality...these are good cars that drives great when they are running. many of the owners will over look the repairs because hey...when it's running it drives so well they feel it's just the admission price. so when people ask...how reliable is their car...they say it's pretty good. they only had a few parts that needed to be changed. of course there's cars that came out of the factory perfect fine for 100000000 miles but the percentage of these cars that come out from the factory w/o needed repairs (outside of the usual stuff) is lower than say a toyota product. also a downer is parts are more money. sure aftermarket german parts are cheaper because there's an aftermarket company that's making them...like febi or mahle, etc etc (no you don't want to stick a BS parts in your german cars...trust me). the issue is that audi uses like 6 control arms in their front suspension that it costs you almost grand to replace them. yup they have to be $$$ aluminum because steel is for common folks...LOL.

one thing that krusher got right is that it takes specialized tools to work on german cars. torx, allen, triple square...oh my.

you mean when your 4th gen is running it "might" be faster than a Z06. that means my 3rd gen is faster than a Z06 now??

you know what they say about opinions....
Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Should grab a Chevy SS before they are no longer produced!!!

I just gave up finding Maxima replacement and bought a replacement for my minivan. So odd ><

Never owned compact sedan before but did do a lease-take over on a Scion IQ (what a POS)...

Driven about 3,000 km on the 2016 Toyota Corolla and my opinion is WOW not regretting the purchase.. The car is stuffed with electronics like heated seats, rear view camera, a big touch screen that can read out texts, phone, email, power sunroof etc. This is awesome!!

Only thing I don't like is how they put the auto-cruise buttons way at the bottom of the steering wheel and the amount of "force" you have to use before car will lower or increase speeds. Also the electric steering is WEIRD, it moves so freely yet little feedback from the car... I can be going 30 km/h in a parking lot and wiggle the steering wheel ~5-10* degrees from center and car won't really shake

Driving dynamic wise... What can you expect from cars in this category?

Last edited by george__; 10-15-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by criminalslang810

sentra ( low )

maxima finished

The support for a 4th and 5th gen isn't low... exactly. That's the wrong adjective.

It is rare... and the few of us that are still very active at modding, don't come on here much because it is so irrelevant to what goes on in here now. its 90% coil pack, vaccum leak, and no start issues, and 10% bullsh*t.

There are plenty of people who could come on here and talk about advanced modification (harold down in his epic nitrous/hr heads/cosworth crazy "something I have been thinking about" megathread comes to min.) But keep in mind these 4th and 5th gens can be picked up for 2k... so for me to tell someone, "hey you can do a bunch of cool stuff to your car but you gotta spend twice what you spend on the car to get it." People are either gonna tell me to take a flying leap... or talk a bunch and never do anything because they are broke and a 2k car is all they can afford. No offense.

bottom line, there is some serious modding still happening. People are still doing really cool stuff to maximas...

if you're seriously interested in the finer points of advanced engine tuning/suspension all of the information you need is on here. Just give a search for literally anything you want to do and there will be a bunch of threads to show you the way, the truth, and the light.

ouuuut.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:57 PM

^
That rarity is what makes this platform so costly to mod?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New here ( why maximas get no love )