General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why you decided to buy the Maxima?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why you decided to buy the Maxima?

Hey, I'm new to the forum and had some questions about why everyone bought the Maxima. I'm a transportation designer from Academy of Art University of San Francisco.
I wanted to know what about the Maxima attracted you (ex. features, performance, aesthetics, etc.)?
What do you feel like the falls short in and what could be done in feature to make it better?
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Is any particular generation of Maxima the subject of your Q?

Assuming not, I'll offer this ...

I bought my 4th generation (1999 SE-L) back in MAR 1999 for four (4) reasons:

(1) The VQ30DE;
(2) Nissan's philosophy and priorities in the automotive industry;
(3) The Maxima's design/appearance;
(4) My wife liked it.

#s 2 and 3 have long since fallen by the way-side as Nissan has embarked on endeavors I understand not.

#4, I'll never admit to your face.

FWIW ... there has been nary a vehicle Nissan has produced in the last decade to decade and a half that I would own let alone cherish.

My '99 however, when Nissan was the true Nissan, I may never part with.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

I bought a 6th gen in 2003 brand new because I thought it would be a better, less expensive and higher quality choice than used E classes...boy was I wrong it was a piece of ****. Ironically I now own a Land Rover and everybody thinks they are unreliable, it hasn't had a single problem or rattle since day 1. Never again, Nissan.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for replying. Any Maxima is good.
What kind of job did you have at the time or currently?
Did the packaging/space fulfill your needs?
What kind of technology you wish was in the new generation Maxima?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM

They put me in one. I was at the Sales center about a Ford Truck.
Even if your looking for a new car then they pull this used Maxima out on you.
I was seriously looking at a Malibu at the time too.
After buyers regret I actually like it and will buy another next time I get another $10000
After tuning it up you can really get the Datsun sound from it.
I pull up next to later model Altimas all the time and the cars run almost at the same sound pitch.
The Datsun I remember is the 74 C110 coupe. I remember people were driving all American cars like the Plymouth Roadrunner at the time!

The 74 240z was like the vette with some different curves.

Last edited by maximatech12; 10-10-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
it was a piece of ****.
Sounds like your floor jack is a piece of ****.

These cars just need a bit of time and money put into them.
They perform great when its all done.
Also Stillen has schematics to supercharge it if that's your thing.
This will get you an additional 50-100 hp.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by sy designs
What kind of job did you have at the time or currently?
I thought this discussion was about cars. I don't see the relavence as relates to my employment.

Did the packaging/space fulfill your needs?
Packaging? ... I bought a car ... it was fully assembled ... there was no packaging.

What kind of technology you wish was in the new generation Maxima?
I'd personally like to see technology go the "F" away all together.

I neither need nor want my car to park it's self, open it's doors to the sight of my foot, talk to me/at me, or start itself while I'm still on the 15th floor ... and if I'm so ignorant that I don't know when I'm departing my lane I'd better just call Uber.

I like to drive. I like to control and be in control of my vehicle.

Driving is and should be a full-time job.

All this other bullsh** car makers are including nowadays diminishes the driving experience and makes driver's much less attentive, aware and skillful.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:36 PM

I bought the 2002 Maxima because I wanted a sedan with a manual transmission. I also wanted front wheel drive since I live in the North East. At the time (2005) the list of manufacturers offering a manual transmission was getting short. As of 2017 more manufacturers are getting away from offering a manual in the U.S.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2albatross
As of 2017 more manufacturers are getting away from offering a manual in the U.S.
Not only this, but also getting away from real automatics ... that CVT crap is the same thing I had in my snowmobile in the 11th grade.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM

I bought my I35 back in 2012 because of the looks and features. People that ride with me are amazed that a 15 yr old car has a heated steering wheel and seats (front and rear)! The VQ35 is such a smooth engine; on cold starts, my car is much quieter than a lot of these newer cars. I drove down to FL a few years back and with a full load, A/C blasting, I got 26 mpg. I'm a happy camper
Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 PM

After considering several other cars including Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Audi A4 as well as others, I bought my 2014 Maxima SV for its looks and performance. The 290 HP V6 was the most powerful of any engine offered on the cars I looked at, and I like power.
The styling is fantastic from any view but the rear, which is the car's worst angle. Combine the styling and performance and add in the interior features and you have a hard to beat automobile. And this coming from an "Audi guy".
The SVT transmission is frankly amazing...I guess you either love it or hate it..but it's fantastic. I drive my car hard and still get 22 mpg average.
Finally, you don't see a lot of these cars around...not that they are rare by any means, but you see FAR more Altimas, for example.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50 PM

The 290 HP V6 was the most powerful of any engine offered on the cars I looked at, and I like power.
that's quite an improvement from the 2001!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
that CVT crap is the same thing I had in my snowmobile in the 11th grade.
LOL but it's sad.
The truth is that Nissan did "snow" the people when they ripped the 6SPD MT out of the Maxima and market it as the 4DSC.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by TableRocker
The SVT transmission is frankly amazing...
The SVT might be amazing (Ford did always make pretty nice stuff) but the CVT is crap.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:35 AM

I've had 4 Corvettes over the years and during that time, my wife had Maximas. She traded her 2010 Maxima on a Ford F-150 and we missed the Maxima ever since. When I finally got tired of climbing into a car that was 2" above the ground, I sold my Corvette Grand Sport and bought a 2017 Maxima Platinum.

We absolutely love the car. Only change I would make is to offer a version of the Maxima with Infiniti Red Sport 400 style power. But that's just the opinion of a high horsepower Vette owner.

Search this Thread