General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP!!! Strut Tower Bolt threaded... HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HELP!!! Strut Tower Bolt threaded... HELP!!!!

Well it seems i threaded the **** out of one of my strut tower bolts and I can not get the nut off.. tried a screwdriver with airgun, jacking themove up at all.

what are my options... cut it off with a torch?

i can almost spin it with my hand.. that's how bad it is.. AND DON'T ASK ME HOW IT GOT LIKE THAT... something went awry with my strut bolts and this one is messed up..
Old 02-01-2002, 08:20 PM

omg jay....

use a clamp and cloth top hold the allen key side and the 12mm wrench for the other side. if you can have one person hold with the wrench and one person with wrench. i took mine off 1 am in the morning.
if it's the bolt that holds the ends, ur screwed cause it's torqued! use liquid wrench or heat torch but if the thread is gone,......donno.

man that sucks.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: omg jay....

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
use a clamp and cloth top hold the allen key side and the 12mm wrench for the other side. if you can have one person hold with the wrench and one person with wrench. i took mine off 1 am in the morning.
if it's the bolt that holds the ends, ur screwed cause it's torqued! use liquid wrench or heat torch but if the thread is gone,......donno.

man that sucks.
it is not the middle bolt.. if you look at the engine bay, it is the strut tower on the right and the nut closest to you... we tried screwdriver with monkey wrench..
Old 02-01-2002, 08:54 PM

Need more info

Did you cross thread it, round off the top outside of the nut or what. I might be able to help but your comment about being able to almost take it off with your hands confused me. Give me some more info.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: omg jay....

Originally posted by thebigsadler

it is not the middle bolt.. if you look at the engine bay, it is the strut tower on the right and the nut closest to you... we tried screwdriver with monkey wrench..
Try a pipe wrench and some heat, if that does not work you could always cut the nut in half with a dremel.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: omg jay....

the nut spins.. either way.. righty or lefty.. JUST SPINS...

i tried using a screwdriver and a monkey wrench.. the bolt was warm from all the socketing..

hmm.. dremel through a thick nut? even if it gets through, is it the nut that is threaded or the bolt?
Old 02-01-2002, 10:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: omg jay....

Originally posted by thebigsadler
is it the nut that is threaded or the bolt?
Both actually...I would suggest buying a new bolt and nut and taking the old one off...both pieces should be replaced at this point in order to be effective.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: omg jay....

Originally posted by WizzaMax

Both actually...I would suggest buying a new bolt and nut and taking the old one off...both pieces should be replaced at this point in order to be effective.
I had the same experience on a 5th Gen last year -- just the nut stripped in my case, but you could not tell by looking. You can cut the nut off w/ a Dremmel or a nut splitter (Ouch!) and run a 10mm x 1.25 die over the bolt to clean out the bolt threads. The strut tower bolt looked stripped, but that was the just junk from the nut clogging the bolt threads. You will know if the bolt is damaged when torque down a new nut.