General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2004 nissan maxima acceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 nissan maxima acceleration issues

The battery and brake light will flash and at times the abs light also.. When this happens the car is still running, I may hear the radio have some static through it, and the veg has no power. I will press on gas pedal, and it won't accelerate. I have to pull over til the lights go off. When they do, I continue driving. I was told the car had a bad battery, and replaced it.. The car is still doing the same thing
Old 10-26-2017, 05:42 AM

I going to bet it's the alternator, had similar symptom on the 2007 I had, ended up being the alternator. The bad battery may have had it's life shortened by the alternator, so it's possible it was bad too, but it was just a symptom of the real problem.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the battery and alternator tested at auto zone. He said the alternator was good, battery wasn't. I've never had an issue with the car not starting or anything, but bout a new battery. Still doing the same thing.. Something is drawing power from the batter. The battery/brake/abs light comes on and u can hear the heat vent sound like its on low when these lights appear. When they go off, the heat vents go back to full blast.. You can also at times hear the radio have static in it. It happens daily now.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Autozone tested the alternator and it was good...I might recommend a second opinion. It may have tested OK when it was tested briefly. But I still think it's the alternator. Unless you have a loose ground wire somewhere important and that's causing the intermittent problem. I remember with my 07, I actually made my own grounding kit, found a manual for one of the premade kits, and just cut everything to length. I **** you not, the window motors worked faster when it was done; plus made a world of different across the entire car. Was like 5 different places that I added grounding wires under the hood. The factory grounding may be degraded over time from corrosion; If it's not the battery, and the alternator tests out fine a second or a third test, perhaps something that simple.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow! I will have it retested today.. I may try and return battery too.. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:58 AM

If the old battery is 3 or more years old, having a new one is likely a good idea, especially if the old one has been beaten up by a bad charging system.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The battery was only a year old. I bought car in March and the guy had replaced it a few months prior.. So I may keep it just in case.