General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Grinding noise after doing clutch... [5th gen]

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Grinding noise after doing clutch... [5th gen]

Hi, I'm having a big problem that I need help with. I'm hoping this will get more attention here because (to my knowledge) the 4th and 5th gen trans is identical.

My car (2000 Maxima SE 5spd with LSD) needed a new clutch. I did the job over a weekend and now when I start the car it makes a horrible metal-on-metal grinding noise. I know this is vague, but I need some help with the next step of diagnosis. For context, here are the steps I did when changing the clutch:

-Removed axles/trans

-Removed old PP/friction disk/throw out bearing

-Installed new parts (followed FSM for torque specs and bolt order. Greased throw out bearing and fork in specified spots)

-Reinstalled trans, axles, etc and filled with GL4 gear oil

Things I've thought of:

-The clutch was not installed backwards

-Pretty sure the throw out bearing is okay, positive it's installed correctly. Clutch pedal feels great when car is off and shifter goes positively in and out of each gear

-I did not touch the flywheel or pilot bushing so I don't think those are causing any issues

-I got a clutch kit specifically for this car so all parts should have OEM like fit

-The only time I've run the motor is with the clutch pedal on the floor and the car in neutral

What's the next step in troubleshooting? I'm at my wit's end. This was supposed to be a cheap winter car and the clutch was the last (and easiest) bit left to do. Maybe it's the starter staying engaged? You can hear the grinding noise happen once the engine kicks over, but not while the starter is still cranking. The pinion seemed to snap back quickly though. How can I test the starter by itself? I pulled it out and tried but the starter did not spin.

For the video, I started the car in neutral and let out the clutch and it stalled.

Last edited by jtbask11; 12-30-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This thread is a little old... not sure if you are reading it anymore. Hopefully you have already sorted out the problem. If you are experiencing grinding when shifting, then for some reason there is still some friction between the clutch disk and the flywheel or pressure plate. The clutch has to float on the shaft, so it might be hung up on a burr. Or it might not have the correct lubrication. Also, it is possible that you need to bleed the hydraulic clutch system.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I got the response to my email. There was no grinding during shifting, but it ground constantly with the engine running.

The issue was poorly made parts. Rockauto claimed that the clutch kit would fit my car, but the pressure plate had bosses that were slightly too large and interfered with the clutch side of the transmission housing by a mm or two.

My solution was to just let the damn thing run until the parts wore in, and it worked just fine.

Go figure I had to pull the transmission a week later to rebuild it anyway. The car is at least driving now.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm glad you got it all sorted out.