General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

subframe connectors vs. fstb & rsb on 95 with h&r's and kyb's

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 06:37 PM
KCTYPHOON

subframe connectors vs. fstb & rsb on 95 with h&r's and kyb's

just wondering if anyone has a lowered max with the warpspeed frame connectors that had/has a fstb and rsb. as of now, my 95 has h&r's with kyb's, fstb and rsb. its starting to get annoying the way the car takes the bumps and it has developed rattles. what im thinking of doing now, is getting the sfc(both stages), and taking the other control bars off. im wondering if i can make the car handle better by stiffening the frame as opposed to the suspension , in turn, eliminating some rattles and making the ride better by not being as harsh. id like to know if anyone has any experince or has tried this themselves yet. if possible,i wantthe car to be able to still handle turns similar to how it does now, but improve driver and passanger comfort along with cabin noise. will swapping my fstb and rsb for warpspeed's sfc do this?

i know this is gonna be redundant but im trying to make my question as clear as humanly possible here so im not misunderstood.

basically make the car handle better(compared to just the h&r's) by stiffening the frame, and at the same time, make the car ride better by allowing more movement back to the suspension. will this improve driver comfort yet retain handeling? will the car handle the same or not? what are the pros and cons of doing this? is this just a waste of time and money cause it'll be the same? if so why?

softer on the bumbs but stiff in the turns.

thoughts?? opinions?? thanks in advance..

Old 02-02-2002, 09:34 PM

Handle better yes. Softer and more quiet, No.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:49 PM

I thought the FSTB, RSTB, and RSB all help stiffen the frame, not the suspension. Adding a SFC would only make the frame that much stiffer, wouldn't it? I know what you're asking, but I'd leave my bars on the car, even with a new SFC. What do you think?
Old 02-02-2002, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
I know what you're asking, but I'd leave my bars on the car, even with a new SFC. What do you think?
Good call...
Old 02-03-2002, 07:34 AM

I have most of what your asking about, except for the RSB. I think you will like the subframe connectors on the car. Durring normal driving conditions you will not know theyer there. Take a sharp trun at 50 and you'll be thankfull you had em put on. With my car there is still some body roll but not much so I still have intentions to get a RSB too. Hope this helps.
John.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:55 PM
KCTYPHOON

max'n out do you have the frame connectors? just wondering if thats your experience or just your opinion..

thezcarguy how does your car take the pot holes and bumbs?? any difference?

Old 02-03-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
max'n out do you have the frame connectors? just wondering if thats your experience or just your opinion..

thezcarguy how does your car take the pot holes and bumbs?? any difference?
No I don't have them. But I have driven a Integra with some soft of frame conecters. Handle great but when cold and you turn fast the just make this kinda little noise. Like cold metel stressing, and of course thats whats happning. But it did turn nice. It's not bad but is noticleable.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:41 PM
KCTYPHOON

hmm.. intresting, but i guess its possible that his set is a different design than warpspeed's, or mabye his are bolt on rather than welded, or mabye has a broken weld somewhere?? mabye that would explain the noise. i think theres too many variables in this comparison for me to base my decesion on just from that. i do appreciate the feedback though.. thank you

Old 02-03-2002, 08:47 PM

hmm.. intresting, but i guess its possible that his set is a different design than warpspeed's, or mabye his are bolt on rather than welded, or mabye has a broken weld somewhere?? mabye that would explain the noise. i think theres too many variables in this comparison for me to base my decesion on just from that. i do appreciate the feedback though.. thank you
Yeah I woun't base your decision on that. It's a vary different car. I don't theres a bad weld. Don't know the specs on his setup very well. My guess though is that no matter what you will have some(not much) noise but i woun't sweat it. really the only reason I heard his is cuz im **** like that I'm sure most people don't notice it.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:02 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by max'n out

Yeah I woun't base your decision on that. It's a vary different car. I don't theres a bad weld. Don't know the specs on his setup very well. My guess though is that no matter what you will have some(not much) noise but i woun't sweat it. really the only reason I heard his is cuz im **** like that I'm sure most people don't notice it.
one of the reasons that im asking is to try and get rid of some noise in the car. there were a few reviews i ve read. i think on the review from the proto-type it was said that alot of the interior rattles had gone away. this being do to eliminating the cabin flex in the car. the suspension on my car is so stiff at this point that alot of the stress from the tightened suspension is being tranfered into frame and passanger area. im sure that can account for some of the annoying noises i hear along with the rattles when i hit potholes in the road. so my thoughts are that i can eliminate flex in the car in other areas that souldnt flex anyway, and remove the restrictions on the suspension and strut towers that the fstb and rsb exert. if im rite, the car would handle somewhat similar in the turns, but take the bumps better and not make as much noise.. can anyone confirm or deny this from experience??

Old 02-03-2002, 09:37 PM

Reduce Cabin Noise = Turn Up Stereo

ha, jk, I intend to get some SFC's, but working on the rest of exhaust right now. I have a pretty simple solution to finding out if cabin noise is reduced, prob just install the SFC with no other bars (are you keeping the springs and shocks on?) Then add the other bars and see if they make a difference. Post how things turn out. Always interested to see people's reaction to new products.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:46 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Xtreme5053
Reduce Cabin Noise = Turn Up Stereo

ha, jk, I intend to get some SFC's, but working on the rest of exhaust right now. I have a pretty simple solution to finding out if cabin noise is reduced, prob just install the SFC with no other bars (are you keeping the springs and shocks on?) Then add the other bars and see if they make a difference. Post how things turn out. Always interested to see people's reaction to new products.
no matter what i do the springs and shocks are staying on. i was intrested to hear weather other peoples experience with the sfc first beacause i dont wanna spend a few hundred "just to see". know what i mean? if a few people can tell me im right or wrong then ill go from there. if not, then im gonna wind up at least taking off my rsb cause i cont put up with the noise in the car much longer. its embarassing to me to have a nice car looking car and have someone get it to get bounced around and listen to it rattle. the handeling has become less of an issue over noise and comfort these days.

Old 02-03-2002, 10:14 PM

no matter what i do the springs and shocks are staying on. i was intrested to hear weather other peoples experience with the sfc first beacause i dont wanna spend a few hundred "just to see". know what i mean? if a few people can tell me im right or wrong then ill go from there. if not, then im gonna wind up at least taking off my rsb cause i cont put up with the noise in the car much longer. its embarassing to me to have a nice car looking car and have someone get it to get bounced around and listen to it rattle. the handeling has become less of an issue over noise and comfort these days.
The noise is similar to what you would hear via the rsb. Do to everything now moving together. More rattles my occur depending on the piece. Do to the frame being so tight it has no more give to it to absorb the noise. That make sence? I think if you want to ilimate some noise track down what is making noise and then solve it peice by piece.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

No I don't have them. But I have driven a Integra with some soft of frame conecters. Handle great but when cold and you turn fast the just make this kinda little noise. Like cold metel stressing, and of course thats whats happning. But it did turn nice. It's not bad but is noticleable.
show me pics of that integra's "soft of frame conecters". since you driven it i'm sure you have access to it.

how you can you form an opinion on WSP subframe connectors when you dont own or have never experienced them?
Old 02-03-2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

show me pics of that integra's "soft of frame conecters". since you driven it i'm sure you have access to it.

how you can you form an opinion on WSP subframe connectors when you dont own or have never experienced them?
Don't own the teg no. But I did have it in my possion for a few days while i worked on it for him. So I do have experiecne with them since they whre on his hoopty.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:23 PM

Don't own the teg no. But I did have it in my possion for a few days while i worked on it for him. So I do have experiecne with them since they whre on his hoopty.
so, how can you form an opinion on the effectiveness of the warpspeed subframe connectors when you dont own or have never experienced them?
Old 02-03-2002, 10:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

removing the bars won't do anything. 90% of the harshness comes from the shocks/springs/wheels/tires. so if you want a softer ride, the shocks/springs gotta go
Old 02-03-2002, 10:26 PM

so, how can you form an opinion on the effectiveness of the warpspeed subframe connectors when you dont own or have never experienced them?
I'm not saying anything directly about hte ones on a max. If you read I said it's on a diff car don't base everything on that. It's an experience with a sfc. You think there all very different? I don't, not on a fwd car. Pretty much do the same thing. And so I gave info on that.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:43 PM

I'm not saying anything directly about hte ones on a max. If you read I said it's on a diff car don't base everything on that. It's an experience with a sfc. You think there all very different? I don't, not on a fwd car. Pretty much do the same thing. And so I gave info on that.
you should learn to read. the guy was asking about WSP sfc on maximas and its effectiveness. your first reply?

"Handle better yes. Softer and more quiet, No."

how descriptive. later we find out your reply was not based on experiences with a maxima, but an integra. there are several ACTUAL WSP SFC owners and people who have experienced with them that are more qualified than you are to opinionate on its effectiveness. a specific brand/manufacturer was queried and you replied with a definitive answer which was very misleading. whats the point of replying to something you know nothing of?

and yes there is a difference in SFCs. some companies use boxed members and some use cylindrical or oval tubes and types of attachments to the unibody. who knows if you even know what SFC are?

just curious if you confused some aftermarket lower control arm tie-bars that are available for civics/integras as subframe connectors? since they technically are bolted to and only to the integra's subframes, it may be referred to as "subframe connectors".
Old 02-03-2002, 10:52 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Jeff92se
removing the bars won't do anything. 90% of the harshness comes from the shocks/springs/wheels/tires. so if you want a softer ride, the shocks/springs gotta go
well, id have to disagree with you there.. me and my friend basically have the same set up. i have a 95, he has a 96. we both have h&r's w/ kyb's and 18's. only difference really between the rims are mine are 8.5" and i belive his are 7". he has nitto's, i have toyo's, both a good quality and soft tire. our ride is NOTICABLELY different. takes the bumps like nite and day.. rite now i have my aftermarket 16's on cause i busted a rim on the nj turnpike and his car still rides way better than mine.. im not talking so much about driving on a smooth perfectly paved road. out here that doesnt exist. im talking more about how the car takes the bumps.

Old 02-03-2002, 10:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay.

well, id have to disagree with you there.. me and my friend basically have the same set up. i have a 95, he has a 96. we both have h&r's w/ kyb's and 18's. only difference really between the rims are mine are 8.5" and i belive his are 7". he has nitto's, i have toyo's, both a good quality and soft tire. our ride is NOTICABLELY different. takes the bumps like nite and day.. rite now i have my aftermarket 16's on cause i busted a rim on the nj turnpike and his car still rides way better than mine.. im not talking so much about driving on a smooth perfectly paved road. out here that doesnt exist. im talking more about how the car takes the bumps.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:13 AM

you should learn to read. the guy was asking about WSP sfc on maximas and its effectiveness. your first reply?

"Handle better yes. Softer and more quiet, No."

how descriptive. later we find out your reply was not based on experiences with a maxima, but an integra. there are several ACTUAL WSP SFC owners and people who have experienced with them that are more qualified than you are to opinionate on its effectiveness. a specific brand/manufacturer was queried and you replied with a definitive answer which was very misleading. whats the point of replying to something you know nothing of?

and yes there is a difference in SFCs. some companies use boxed members and some use cylindrical or oval tubes and types of attachments to the unibody. who knows if you even know what SFC are?

just curious if you confused some aftermarket lower control arm tie-bars that are available for civics/integras as subframe connectors? since they technically are bolted to and only to the integra's subframes, it may be referred to as "subframe connectors".
[Worthless rhetoric that has been edited]
Old 02-04-2002, 11:50 AM

As someone who actually has the WSP SFCs on my car (both stages) I can tell you that it does firm up the ride a bit. The car feels much, much more solid, the back end follows the front like it should. You'll feel the difference over every set of railroad tracks you cross and every corner you take at speed.

I would recommend you try out stage 1 on your car for the longitudinal stiffness it provides and perhaps upgrade to stage 2 for a bit more lateral stiffness if you think you want it. I would also recommend you leave on your FSTB and your RSB. The FSTB provides a lot of lateral stiffness higher up and the RSB reduces body roll, things that the SFCs aren't designed to do and shouldn't do.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by guido_sst
As someone who actually has the WSP SFCs on my car (both stages) I can tell you that it does firm up the ride a bit. The car feels much, much more solid, the back end follows the front like it should. You'll feel the difference over every set of railroad tracks you cross and every corner you take at speed.

I would recommend you try out stage 1 on your car for the longitudinal stiffness it provides and perhaps upgrade to stage 2 for a bit more lateral stiffness if you think you want it. I would also recommend you leave on your FSTB and your RSB. The FSTB provides a lot of lateral stiffness higher up and the RSB reduces body roll, things that the SFCs aren't designed to do and shouldn't do.
I agree with everything said in this post. I can also say that there is no loticable increse in cabin noise as a result of the SFC's. As far as going over the potholes and stuff the are is much stiffer and dose not squeek or rattle as much. Give em a try.
John.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by thezcarguy
I agree with everything said in this post. I can also say that there is no loticable increse in cabin noise as a result of the SFC's. As far as going over the potholes and stuff the are is much stiffer and dose not squeek or rattle as much. Give em a try.
I didn't notice any extra cabin noise either, and there are a lot less squeaks and rattles in the dash. The car feels like it's supposed to!
Old 02-04-2002, 12:26 PM

wow you guys pretty much answered all of the question i had about these SFC's. sounds like it would be a plus for me when i go take passes through the canyons. thanks