General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Bloody @##$!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 11:02 PM

Bloody @##$!!

After leaving the Maxima Dyno meet we had in Toronto today (well yesterday) which was great and knowledgable (for me atleast, I learnt something), I got pulled over. Was I speeding? Yes. How fast? Just enough to keep up with traffic. I wasn't overtaking anyone or anything like that. Just maintaining the distance between the car in front of me.

Anyway I get pulled over. The cop says he clocked me at 89km/h in a 60km/h zone. I did not really want to argue with him, although I knew I was not going that fast. I was doing around 70-75km/h (the normal speed people do in a 60 zone).

So anyway, he goes back to the cruiser, and 30mins (yes, thats right, 30min!) later he comes back and gives not one, not two, but THREE freaking tickets. They are:
- he reduced my speeding ticket to only going 15km/h over (which is cool by me since I really was only doing 10-15 over) so it only costs $52CDN and no demerit points and it does not go on my record either.
- second ticket: $110CDN because my dad did not put the little sticker on the ownership paper (he put it on the license plate, but I guess he forgot to put it on the paper)
- third ticket: $110CDN also because he did not sign the ownership paper. We got this paper renewed (came in the mail) and I'm guessing he forgot to sign it. In his defense, he's ususally out of town (like now) so he tends to forget these things.

Now my question: will the two tickets relating to the ownership paper give me demerit points (I forgot ask the cop)?? Also the ticket for that was written in my name, but the ownership & car is under my dad's name. So whose record does it go on? And finally, is there any chance of fighting it and reducing/eliminating the charges?

Man, these two weeks have been pure bad luck for me. My buddy's car got totalled (luckily he was ok), I put a dent in the Max, messed up on my finals, and now this. I think I'm just gonna park the car and take the bus.

The funny part (well not really funny) was that my buddy sitting in the passenger seat had an LCD screen which was hooked up to the computer in the backseat. He was trying to compile something so we could get voice recognition working in our special Linux/Java MP3 player for the car. When I got pulled over I told him to keep the LCD on his lap instead of leaving it on top of the pull-out tray.

The cop asked him what he was doing, and my friend didn't really know what to answer with.

The ironic part of this whole story? I was trying to find the only freaking Krispy Kreme place in Toronto!!! I really wanted to try a Krispy Kreme donut, I felt like asking the cop where it was, but he would probably take it the wrong way (you know how ppl make fun of cops and donuts) so I didn't. Didn't feel like eating after this anyway.

Man life sucks!
Old 02-03-2002, 12:08 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

**** man
that sucks

it's a night for tickets today for all maxima owners i guess
i'm just hearing of a few people that got pulled over at our NorthEast meet.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am not sure how things work in canada but maybe you can fight them?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:54 AM
i SeE what you did therE

that suxs...
Old 02-03-2002, 07:01 AM

mom always said there will be bad days,but I think you had your quota now. Betterluck man.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:53 AM

it sucks... but you should pay the speeding ticket and your dad should get the other two (they are not your fault). anyway, sorry to hear about all that mess.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:12 AM

Yeah, I had those two same tickets. Mine was even worse cause the cop said I didn't sign my permit in ink but in pencil which is not valid so I got the same ticket. They can be a-holes if they want to be. Unfortuantly, Justice of the Peace did not let that slide for me. Try anyways and good luck. Just take care of it soon because suspension for unpaid fines will cost you $100 bucks extra to get your license back. Plus fees of like processing - $30 bucks so a $110 ticket ends up being $240. Not to mention the time off work I had to miss to take care of it so unpaid leave. Hahaha, what a bunch of BS! MTO has made $1500+ off me last year alone
Old 02-03-2002, 08:13 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm paying my own ticket..thats not a problem. But my dad is really getting shafted for the other two. Now I know how the Ministry makes money.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A few things:

1) That sucks major. Sorry to hear about your drive home from what was a great day.

2) Even though the fine was for 15km/h over the speed limit and there are no demerit points added to your driving record, the fine still shows up on your record as a minor offence. If you get pulled over again and the cop calls in your license, it will show up. It's on your record for 2 years (might be 3, I forget)

3) Your insurance company works on a different system than the driver's license demerit system. They can refuse to insure you with only 4 minor offences, which if you pay all 3 fines puts you dangerously close. One major offence (impaired, racing, careless, etc.) and your insurance company can burn your policy. I've got this stuff in a book at work and will look for it if I remember when I go in tomorrow.

4) It's worth fighting even the smallest of tickest as it will put a burden on the justice system and judges hate getting bothered with meaningless offences. Cops assume that if they lower the fine, you'll pay it without pursuing your legal alternatives. It's just easy money for the province, they figure. Maybe if more people were to fight their petty tickets, the system would have to change some of the rules of the road ie- speed limits - everyone knows that the person actually doing the speed limit in Ontario is the real hazard on the road.

Good luck with your fines, but I would take them to the justice of the peace and at least ask for the two paper fines to get thrown out. Those are entirely ridiculous fines. Just go in and explain your situation, no bullsh!t, jp's actually do listen. Common sense does work with them once in a while.

Albert
Old 02-03-2002, 09:07 AM

thanks for your words akrus.

2) The cop said that the $52 ticket WOULD not go on my record.

3)Those other two Ownership fines actually go on my record? How? They aren't moving violations or anything? Man how the hell can they charge you $110 for now signing a bloody piece of paper and use it against you?

4)How exactly can you fight the ownership thing? What can you say?

The reason why I'm nervous is because my parents are out of town. I told my dad about this yesterday and he said its ok as long as it doesn't go on my record. However you said that these three tickets will go on my record, so now I'm more nervous. I told him to fight the ownership ticket, he said he'll see when he gets back next week. I don't want it to be more trouble that it really is. Because I'm guessing getting a lawyer to fix his will be more expensive than just paying hte ticket.

Also what exactly would happen in court?
Old 02-03-2002, 12:03 PM

that sux man, I had really bad luck on my algebra & geometry exam too. Where did you get pulled over? & where is that kristic keme donut place? I really want 2 try it too.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:19 PM

Here in the US, generally you don't get points on your license unless you are cited for a moving violation, I think. As for who's record the points go on, it goes on the record for whoever was driving at the time, no matter what car you are driving.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:48 PM

klubjunkee: did those tickets increase your insurance premuim?? do they stay on your record? I hope to hell that the $52CDN ticket doesn't stay on my record (I'm pretty sure I heard hte cop say it didn't, but then again I could be hearing things I wanted to hear).

Dammit I wanted to keep my record clean for as long as possible! Atleast till rates would be cheap for me.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
thanks for your words akrus.

2) The cop said that the $52 ticket WOULD not go on my record.

3)Those other two Ownership fines actually go on my record? How? They aren't moving violations or anything? Man how the hell can they charge you $110 for now signing a bloody piece of paper and use it against you?

4)How exactly can you fight the ownership thing? What can you say?

The reason why I'm nervous is because my parents are out of town. I told my dad about this yesterday and he said its ok as long as it doesn't go on my record. However you said that these three tickets will go on my record, so now I'm more nervous. I told him to fight the ownership ticket, he said he'll see when he gets back next week. I don't want it to be more trouble that it really is. Because I'm guessing getting a lawyer to fix his will be more expensive than just paying hte ticket.

Also what exactly would happen in court?
The cop lied to you about the ticket not showing up on your record. Goto http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/ and read the entire site. It's very well done and tells you why/how you should fight your ticket. I think the site is so good that I think a link to it should become a sticky in the Canada forum.

Albert