General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What the hell was gotten into some of these other automakers? It's freaking beautiful. The new 2003 Ford Cobra is sporting 390hp and 390tq from a Roots SC 4.6 DOHC. The price tag? $35000. I like and it's one pulley change away from 420+hp. The new Harley Davidson 4-Door F150 will sport a slightly detuned Lightning motor. Dodge has rolled out the new Neon turbo SRT-4 (4) for $20K. It's just some tuning work away from 13s. The best yet is the Dodge Ram SRT-10. Yep, it's sporting a 500hp V10 with a 6-speed tranny. This is a production truck. Goodbye Lightning, you don't stand a chance. And finally, the Lancer Evolution VII and WRX STi will be here early next year for ~$32K.

All these cars similiar priced and will offer the same or MUCH better performance than the Max/Altima. Damn, this is gonna be hard. My jaw dropped at the site of the Ram SRT-10.

Dave
Old 02-05-2002, 01:54 PM

I know the feeling. My car is old as *****. Its 5 years old with almost 70,000 miles on the clock. Further money spent on this car is a complete waste, cause it would be better going to a 2002/2003 car which are light years more advanced. I have my own list of reasons nissan will never get my money when I get a new car as well.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Originally posted by Dave B
Goodbye Lightning, you don't stand a chance.
The lightning still beats it by like .3 seconds or more.

Also the Lightning comes with rims that dont make ya when looking at them.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 02:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Originally posted by SuDZ

Also the Lightning comes with rims that dont make ya when looking at them.

SuDZ

buying a car because of rims is ghey

but, cars have always been improving and will continue to improve, the 1st maxima had like 120-140 hp... hehe.. Ofcourse, if you want a nicer faster car, be prepared to pay for it. As far as not investing in an older car, (i think 5 years isn't even that old) to me, it seems actually better.. Instead of sitting back and watching it's market value drop like a rocket, you can save more then 10 grand buying it used and putting some $ into it to make it how you like it. Cars made these days will last WAY longer then 5 years if cared for right.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:21 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

you cant compare lightnings and cobra's and that v10 ram with a maxima or altima...sheesh...they are totally different types of vehicles. The Maxima is a room sedan with extra performance. The other cars you listed are pure hot rods!

Am I the only one who noticed this ?

But yes Dave I agree with you, all those cars you listed, 'specially the lightning and the cobra are beautiful. I love them! BUT, if your gonna compare them with something compare them with a 300zx TT, or the Skyline GT-R...now that will hand all of them their @sses.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

but, cars have always been improving and will continue to improve, the 1st maxima had like 120-140 hp... hehe.. Ofcourse, if you want a nicer faster car, be prepared to pay for it. As far as not investing in an older car, (i think 5 years isn't even that old) to me, it seems actually better.. Instead of sitting back and watching it's market value drop like a rocket, you can save more then 10 grand buying it used and putting some $ into it to make it how you like it. Cars made these days will last WAY longer then 5 years if cared for right.
Well it depends also on the year and whether or not the "new" model out is a brand new style, etc. Example- difference of cost of a 96 corvette and a 97 (c4 to c5 body style). You wont find a c5 corvette for under 20K, 23K if you're lucky thats in decent shape/condition. But just one year older, and you'll find 96's in the $15,000 range. Just as a 2002 Maxima will be worth alot more then a 2001 will be. The difference in price can be justified for the technological advacements, and depending on what it is, it may or may not be worth it. Sure, I could take the difference in price between a 01 and an 02, but you wont get that 255 HP engine, or in the corvette's case the c5 body with the LS1 motor.

When buying my motorcycle, I had to make a decision to either get a used one and save money, or go with the most technologicially advanced one in the 600 CC class that has fuel injection. At the time (2001), only the Suzuki GSXR600 and the Honda CBR600F4i had fuel injection. I decided that it was worth it for me to pay the extra price to buy brand new to have the latest and greatest.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:29 PM

It kind of depends whether you want a sporty car that isn't too comfortable, or a comfortable car that isn't too sporty.

Sure, a Cobra R will beat the socks off any Nissan sold in the US, but it will also jarr your kidneys and get 12mpg. Ditto with the SVT Lightning...fast, but do you really want to try that thing on a hairpin turn? It may handle very well for a truck, but it's still a truck. So, if you want sport, get a sporty vehicle.

But if you want a compromise, get a sedan. If you want to compare to Maxima, compare with other midsize sedans. At this point, the competition for a 2002 Maxima is limited to the Acura TL, if you count price range and equivalent power and features.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:24 PM

Don't forget about the Ford Focus SVT. I have a feeling that it's going to do well against the other compact cars. 170hp, 17" rims, tuned suspension... Plus they already have jackson racing supercharger kits for them. I don't know how much they cost, but the SVT will be $18k. Not too shabby if you ask me... But then again, it's not comparative to a maxima, but neither are the rest of those cars.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Re: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Instead of sitting back and watching it's market value drop like a rocket, you can save more then 10 grand buying it used and putting some $ into it to make it how you like it.
Yup!!
Old 02-05-2002, 03:54 PM
PhatGuy

I don't care how fast a Neon or a Pick up is at all. I would not drive either one.

Old 02-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

One Lancer EVO VII to go please.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:37 PM

What the hell was gotten into some of these other automakers? It's freaking beautiful. The new 2003 Ford Cobra is sporting 390hp and 390tq from a Roots SC 4.6 DOHC. The price tag? $35000. I like and it's one pulley change away from 420+hp. The new Harley Davidson 4-Door F150 will sport a slightly detuned Lightning motor. Dodge has rolled out the new Neon turbo SRT-4 (4) for $20K. It's just some tuning work away from 13s. The best yet is the Dodge Ram SRT-10. Yep, it's sporting a 500hp V10 with a 6-speed tranny. This is a production truck. Goodbye Lightning, you don't stand a chance. And finally, the Lancer Evolution VII and WRX STi will be here early next year for ~$32K.

All these cars similiar priced and will offer the same or MUCH better performance than the Max/Altima. Damn, this is gonna be hard. My jaw dropped at the site of the Ram SRT-10.

Dave
The only way you're gonna be able to insure any of those vehicles at a reasonable price is make sure you're married and at least 46 years old.....
Old 02-05-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I don't care how fast a Neon ..
Yep...regardless of how fast it gets it's still a fruity lil Neon. Id take the Lightning or Cobra tho
Old 02-05-2002, 09:45 PM

Wow, I dont understand how some people can afford to buy brand new cars and start modding them right away...KEVIN.....

but seriously, i would **** my pants (and probably kill myself) if I bought a brand new EVO or SVT Focus and BLEW THE ENGINE because I wanted "NAWS" or "MORE BOOST"

its too scary to think about it. and anyways, even after the cars break-in period, theres no way I would push my new car too far..
Old 02-05-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: Re: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Originally posted by SuDZ
Wrong. The RAM srt-10 will be in the high 12's bone stock and run a .91 through the slalom. The lightning is in mid to low 13's. 500hp 500 lbs ft of torque and the vipers 6 speed = fastest truck ever made.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:01 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

*cough* *cough* FORD *cough* *cough* fall-apart *cough* *cough*
Old 02-05-2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
*cough* *cough* FORD *cough* *cough* fall-apart *cough* *cough*
Cheaper to repair then nissan is... like nissan's dont ever break.....
Old 02-06-2002, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by gLok

Wrong. The RAM srt-10 will be in the high 12's bone stock and run a .91 through the slalom. The lightning is in mid to low 13's. 500hp 500 lbs ft of torque and the vipers 6 speed = fastest truck ever made.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree, these companies are trying to capture the hot-rodder market, but a Neon??? come on! That car could do 10's and I wouldn't drive it. The trucks are cool, but why drive a truck you can't really even use. A truck is meant to work, not race.

Now the Suby and the Bishi rally cars.... yes, yes, yes. I drove the Suby 3 times before I got my 2002 Max. I loved driving that little car.

Note the word little, and pretty crappy not to mention. The car is all motor and suspension. The interior was made very cheap and doesn't feel like it had that quality that should come with $26k price.

I took the Max for the room, the build, and not to mention that my max will still be in one peice in three years or 10 for that matter.

and don't even get me going on a Ford Rustang. Yup. 390hp, yup, S/C, but your seat will be falling apart before the warrantee is even up. Screw FORD.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...

Originally posted by CFster

I'll believe it when I see it.
If you haven't see it already, here it is. 12.9 1/4mile, and that's with heavy *** 24" rims. That thing the beast of all beasts. I can't wait until a magazine does a review on it.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Let's see, 500hp/500ft/lbs torque with a 6 speed in a 5000lb truck vs the Lightning's 385hp/450ft/lbs with a auto and 4800lbs. Isn't plain as day that the Lightning is gonna get smoked. Plus it will get walked hard in the topend due to the auto.

Ram SRT-10 does 0-60 in 5.0, 1/4 mile in 12.9@106mph, 0-100-0 in 18.0. By the time most NA modded Maxima's have hit 100mph in the 1/4 mile, the SRT-10 has done the task and is at aa DEAD STOP!!!

I posted the Neon because it's a turbo. It's only a boost controller away from 13s. I wouldn't buy one, but a lot of people will.

As for the Ford comments of "Fix or Repair Daily", preach on Rice Boys. I'm certain none of you guys have experience with any mid-90+ Ford cars. Their quality is good. Yes, they do have their problems and they aren't quite as reliable as God's Chariot, the Maxima, but they aren't near as bad as you Rice Boys profess. Ignorance is bliss.

Dave
Old 02-06-2002, 07:55 AM

Let's see, 500hp/500ft/lbs torque with a 6 speed in a 5000lb truck vs the Lightning's 385hp/450ft/lbs with a auto and 4800lbs. Isn't plain as day that the Lightning is gonna get smoked. Plus it will get walked hard in the topend due to the auto.

Ram SRT-10 does 0-60 in 5.0, 1/4 mile in 12.9@106mph, 0-100-0 in 18.0. By the time most NA modded Maxima's have hit 100mph in the 1/4 mile, the SRT-10 has done the task and is at aa DEAD STOP!!!

I posted the Neon because it's a turbo. It's only a boost controller away from 13s. I wouldn't buy one, but a lot of people will.

As for the Ford comments of "Fix or Repair Daily", preach on Rice Boys. I'm certain none of you guys have experience with any mid-90+ Ford cars. Their quality is good. Yes, they do have their problems and they aren't quite as reliable as God's Chariot, the Maxima, but they aren't near as bad as you Rice Boys profess. Ignorance is bliss.

Dave
I very much so agree. I get ****ed when people automaticly assume a car is a peice of crap just because it's made by ford, chevy, dodge, whatever.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by mozy
Wow, I dont understand how some people can afford to buy brand new cars and start modding them right away...KEVIN.....
It will definitely be faster than the Maxima.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:18 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Their quality is good. Yes, they do have their problems and they aren't quite as reliable as God's Chariot, the Maxima, but they aren't near as bad as you Rice Boys profess. Ignorance is bliss.
Dave

Agreed.....Fords really aren't that bad......and the F150s I've test driven were better built than Min....err...Maximas.......
Old 02-06-2002, 08:22 AM
www.autotalk.com

But still its a FORD AND NEON. they can be 5 sec POSs as i care. you cannot compare a damn truck with a nice looking car. If you were talking about TL-S then it was a different story. And those lancers and WRX.. they are one small POSs. Anyways its YOUR MONEY spend it where ever you like..
Old 02-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by ericdwong
I know the feeling. My car is old as *****. Its 5 years old with almost 70,000 miles on the clock. Further money spent on this car is a complete waste, cause it would be better going to a 2002/2003 car which are light years more advanced. I have my own list of reasons nissan will never get my money when I get a new car as well.
your car is old as *****? I wonder how old mine is then...
Old 02-06-2002, 08:54 AM

Dave
It is not ignorance. I have owned 2 fords, a Jetta, a Civic and a Max all in the "mid 90's". To date I am the most satisfied with the Maxima. Yes ALL cars have their issues, but if I am dropping over $30k on a car "Mustang" it had better damn well stay good looking with basic upkeep past the 3 yr warrantee. I know 3 people two with Cobras and one with a Boss. All 3 cars look like Shiet on the inside after 2-3 years of ownership. My old max was 5 years old and still didn't squeak.

As for the trucks, if I was going to get a truck, I would only buy an american built truck, they are the best built. But I really don't like the queality of American cars.

And yes, it is your money, put it where you want it.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:03 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by Chris91SE

your car is old as *****? I wonder how old mine is then...
i know! i dont agree with that AT ALL! he is saying 70K miles is old.. I wish I had that much $$ to say that
Old 02-06-2002, 09:12 AM

how can u compare a lightening to that new ugly dodge pos, first off you can pick up a lightening for $32k, your telling me this new dodge is gonna be in the same price range i think not, for Christs sake its got a friggin viper v-10 and its 6spd, that alone will cost you $32k.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:15 AM
www.autotalk.com

The new Dodge Rams are copying TOyota Thundra's design TOTALLY! damn losers
Old 02-06-2002, 09:23 AM

OT: Max4speed, did u get ur rims off tirerack? if so is it the normal silver finish?
Old 02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by MaximaRider
OT: Max4speed, did u get ur rims off tirerack? if so is it the normal silver finish?
yeap thats rite
Old 02-06-2002, 10:38 AM

The RAM SRT-10 is gonna mop up the Lightning. I love the Lightning and the fact that Ford made such a vehicle but the RAM SRT-10 is plain badass. And who said it cant be used as a work truck?!?!! Thats what truck are for, this one just does it a little better. 500 lbs ft of torque can do some haulin!!!

I crashed my car this friday and i got a rental Dodge Stratus while its getting fixed. I'll tell you what, the interior of this car suprised me! Feels very good. Now i dont know if the long term reliabilty can even come close to my Camry but this is a well built car.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:51 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by gLok

I crashed my car this friday and i got a rental Dodge Stratus while its getting fixed. I'll tell you what, the interior of this car suprised me! Feels very good. Now i dont know if the long term reliabilty can even come close to my Camry but this is a well built car.
The interior of most american cars feels like trash compared to foriegn cars.. IMO. Its just a feeling i get everytime i switch cars.. i dont know if you have noticed that or not? i was driving an alero as a rental and that was ONE POS. i have seen ppl putting RIMS on that sucker! HAHA LOSERS. right now i have this avalon rental.. i have to tell you this.. this car is smooooooth and comfortable..
Old 02-06-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

Uh I think Dave is just commenting on how many cool cars you can buy now in the 30 grand range more or less. I agree that it's a pretty exciting time in the auto industry. Looks like the hp war is back and and the auto industry is responding. That's it. But I still kinda want a late 90's Volvo 850T5R for some reason.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:05 AM
SMX

Originally posted by MaximaRider
how can u compare a lightening to that new ugly dodge pos, first off you can pick up a lightening for $32k, your telling me this new dodge is gonna be in the same price range i think not, for Christs sake its got a friggin viper v-10 and its 6spd, that alone will cost you $32k.
I second That! There is no way that truck is going to cost $32k with a V10. That sh*t is going to cost$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-06-2002, 11:11 AM
www.autotalk.com

lets close this thread
Old 02-06-2002, 11:17 AM

Why I wouldn't buy a ford? My mom has a 95 Ford windstar. Right after the warranty went out the dome light wouldn't go out. The cost to fix it -$500 (its computer controlled) a month ago at 60,000 miles (low miles for the year). The head gasket blew, wrecking the engine. What will ford do? Replace the head gasket. The cost of engine replacement $3000.

I'm sorry but my 85 Nissan truck has 208,000 hard driven miles by me on it. The engines going strong. I expect more then 60,000 miles out of the engine. Looking around the web her tranny's suppose to go at 90,000 miles. Nice job ford.

http://www.visi.com/~bruns/results.html

I believe it was consumer reports last year that reported that the 99 domestic cars reliablity's was at the point the imports were in 85.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:17 AM
www.autotalk.com

lets close this thread
Old 02-06-2002, 11:45 AM

Dave I can't help but say this, Nissan's not going to get your money even if you buy a nissan, why? Because you don't buy new cars, so the money's going to go else were anyways

Quick Reply: WOW!! I don't know if Nissan is gonna get my money when I want a new car...