General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VQ + 5spd Love

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

VQ + 5spd Love

VQ = new love
5spd = refound love after a 1 year driving an auto

Never again will I buy an autotragic car...so long as my back holds out and barring any unforseen injuries that would prevent me from driving a stick.

The situation

You're cruising along on a local road at about 40 mph and there's a light up a ways that you need to turn left at and it has two left turn lanes. It's still red so you're just taking it easy, but suddenly it turns green and you know there's no way in hell you'd make the light at present speed.

How a V6/auto would handle it

You get on the gas but the tranny only comes out of lockup in 4th and refused to shift to 3rd so you manually throw it down to 3rd. Then you're in the right gear but the tranny is so inefficent that you're still not moving nearly quick enough anyways and you don't make the light.

Option 2 is you just floor it and if you're lucky it'll kick down to 2nd and get you moving quick enough - IF it decides to do a 4-2 kickdown for you. You finally get into the left turn lanes at about 70 mph but autotragics don't like downshifting to 2nd at those speeds and 3rd will do nothing for engine braking so you have to stand on your brakes to get your speed down and then there goes your brakes. You finally make it into the intersection just as the light turns yellow after a WOT run in 2nd.

You decide you want to have a little fun and take the turn fast so you apex it and want to power out but by this time the tranny has upshifted to 4th again so there goes that, unless you downshifted to 2nd manually in which case you can slush your way out of the turn with a nice and tall 80 mph 2nd gear that has zero power at about 30 mph or so. If you really want to move, a 2-1 kickdown would require WOT, but then a downshift like that would throw your exit off balance and make you unstable.

Either way you lose

How a VQ + 5spd handles it.

You're already cruising in 3rd and see the light turn green. You open up the throttle halfway and you're quickly passing through 50...60...70 and then you're already at the left turn lanes. You have enough engine braking in 3rd to really help so you don't have to kill the brakes nearly as much and as you're halfway down the left turn lanes still bleeding off speed very quickly you downshift to 2nd and then most of your braking is engine braking and your real brakes are nice and happy as you setup for the turn. You enter the intersection with time to spare before it turns yellow on you, a few cars ahead of the auto - even at part throttle.

You take the turn pretty quick and apex it, and then you're still in 2nd gear so you open it up to half throttle again and haul a$$ out of the turn with the VQ humming and a big grin on your face.

Either way you win :-D

I've forgotten how much I love stick shift, and there's no better engine to have a stick shift with than the VQ

Old 02-05-2002, 10:32 PM
PhatGuy

Yup the VQ is sweet!

Are you planning on any performance or cosmetic mods?

Old 02-05-2002, 10:46 PM

Intake soon - waiting for Franken's 4th Gen intake and then I'll decide on what to get. If the car continues to be rock solid and doesn't seem like it's going to fall apart and that I'll keep it awhile then I'm going to add Y-pipe, possibly RT cat, and then maybe just some clear corners to attract some attention from the riceboys so that I can have a ball walking them

Might also get the Red/Clear tails. The orange looks really bad on black...
Old 02-05-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: VQ + 5spd Love

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Never again will I buy an autotragic car...
Music to my ears.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Intake soon - waiting for Franken's 4th Gen intake and then I'll decide on what to get. If the car continues to be rock solid and doesn't seem like it's going to fall apart and that I'll keep it awhile then I'm going to add Y-pipe, possibly RT cat, and then maybe just some clear corners to attract some attention from the riceboys so that I can have a ball walking them

Might also get the Red/Clear tails. The orange looks really bad on black...
add redline mt-90 tranny fluid to that list if you haven't done it already. you will love your stickshift even more!
Old 02-06-2002, 01:14 AM

Old 02-06-2002, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Never again will I buy an autotragic car...

how long have i been preaching this?
Old 02-06-2002, 03:01 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: VQ + 5spd Love

he's seen the light
Old 02-06-2002, 04:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think we have ourselves a convert...
Old 02-06-2002, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
jOO have an autotragic. I feel for you brotha!

\
Old 02-06-2002, 06:59 AM

hopefully i will be doing the same soon, bye bye automatic, hello VQ 5 speed
Old 02-06-2002, 07:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

5 speeds..... blah.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, 5 speeds are fun. Wait till you get some mods and add some substanial torque. Downshifting will become uncessary in many cases.

The biggest problem with automatics these days isn't really the tranny, it's the motor. The lack of torque of many of todays cars makes for crappy and boggy acceleration and shifts. When you've got a ton of torque (same motor and car), the difference between a auto and manual becomes very small (topend almost always goes to the manual). By far the best automatic out there is the General Motors 4L60E in the F-Body/Vette/light duty truck. A version of this tranny is also used in the BMW 5/7 series. The 4L60E can take 400ft/lbs of torque, is very light, offers lightning quick shifts that snap you neck at WOT, and is COMPLETELY docile at part throttle. My 94 Z28 had this tranny and my father's 96 Tahoe has this tranny. It's awesome.

I still want to test drive the 2k2 Max with the auto because of the additional torque and the 14-second performance in stock form. If driving the auto Max has improved a lot, I will probably get an auto if I go with a Max. I can't stand the cable actuated shifter of the 6 speed because it has no feel. The way it sits right now, the auto is only a couple tenths slower than the 6 speed which is amazing.

Dave
Old 02-06-2002, 08:04 AM

I've seen the light too!! Coming back from New York on Saturday at the NE meet, Papasmurf let me drive. This was my first time behind a 5-speed. I love it! I called him up the next day and complained that my auto was just too boring.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will see the light tonight! My 5spd swap is almost done...just gotta run some lines...tranny is in already....and put back intake, interior stuff....now is there a gle wood trip piece that fits the stickshift? the stock piece is too small from the auto......can't wait....!
Old 02-06-2002, 08:53 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
5 speeds..... blah.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Administrator

and the twins chime in with the negative comments
Old 02-06-2002, 10:28 AM

VQ + 5spd + Stillen STS =
Old 02-06-2002, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by jkratzer
VQ + 5spd + Stillen STS =

VQ + 5spd + SMC Adjustable STS =
Old 02-06-2002, 11:55 AM

5 speeds..... blah.
Keving phears 5spd's
Old 02-06-2002, 12:08 PM

ooooooh...STS. Never thought about that.

Hmmmm....
Old 02-06-2002, 02:38 PM

I too have seen the light..well actually I saw the light long time ago.

Although my 5-spd is not a Maxima, its still damn fun. Nothing like upshifting at redline, or even downshifting into 3rd...oh man...that burst of power is uncanny!

hmmm..too bad the VQ won't drop in the 240sx.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:52 PM

Sounds like the new Z to me!

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
. .

hmmm..too bad the VQ won't drop in the 240sx.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:08 PM

add redline mt-90 tranny fluid to that list if you haven't done it already. you will love your stickshift even more

whats this stuff supposed to do again?
Old 02-06-2002, 03:35 PM

Guys, stop. You're making my craving for a 5-speed worse! Right now, my VQ 5-speed is on hold until the Summer time.

Later,
-Nick
Old 02-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Keving phears 5spd's
I fear they'll get too small in my rear view mirror.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:30 PM

I fear they'll get too small in my rear view mirror.
I fear you have been sucking on your midget again.

Old 02-06-2002, 04:38 PM

I like what Motor Trend just said

"I appreciate that Nissan continues to offer this car with a stick. It elevates the Maxima from poseur sport-sedan status to the real deal."

A poseur is a person/thing which pretends to be something he/it is not.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:56 PM

there's no better engine to have a stick shift with than the VQ

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Coworker got a new RSX 5-spd. That thing is more fun to drive for sure than a 4th gen, way way better. What road feel. It should be, it's 4 years newer and technology has improved. I was trying to see where the 141 ft-lbs of torque would feel weak, but I couldn't find it. Only has 160 hp too. dang I would love to throw caution to the wind and get a new car, but the market is so bad I can't do it.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:48 PM

i love 5spds!! NYC Traffic is NO EXCUSE!
Old 02-06-2002, 06:02 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by blueghost75
add redline mt-90 tranny fluid to that list if you haven't done it already. you will love your stickshift even more

whats this stuff supposed to do again?
redline mt-90 tranny fluid will make the tranny easier to shift and the shifting action feel smoother overall, especially when its very cold outside. before the fluid change, i get this sensation of "moving a stick around in a bowl of rocks" when i place my shifter into first during cold mornings. after redline mt-90, it is smooth as butter. the shifter just snicks into gear. its effortless for the other gears too. i bought redline tranny fluid based on the recommendations by members of the forum found via the search function.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:03 PM

You're cruising along on a local road at about 40 mph and there's a light up a ways that you need to turn left at and it has two left turn lanes. It's still red so you're just taking it easy, but suddenly it turns green and you know there's no way in hell you'd make the light at present speed.

How a V6/auto would handle it

You get on the gas but the tranny only comes out of lockup in 4th and refused to shift to 3rd so you manually throw it down to 3rd. Then you're in the right gear but the tranny is so inefficent that you're still not moving nearly quick enough anyways and you don't make the light.

Option 2 is you just floor it and if you're lucky it'll kick down to 2nd and get you moving quick enough - IF it decides to do a 4-2 kickdown for you. You finally get into the left turn lanes at about 70 mph but autotragics don't like downshifting to 2nd at those speeds and 3rd will do nothing for engine braking so you have to stand on your brakes to get your speed down and then there goes your brakes. You finally make it into the intersection just as the light turns yellow after a WOT run in 2nd.

You decide you want to have a little fun and take the turn fast so you apex it and want to power out but by this time the tranny has upshifted to 4th again so there goes that, unless you downshifted to 2nd manually in which case you can slush your way out of the turn with a nice and tall 80 mph 2nd gear that has zero power at about 30 mph or so. If you really want to move, a 2-1 kickdown would require WOT, but then a downshift like that would throw your exit off balance and make you unstable.

Either way you lose

I would floor the auto & when it downshifts to like 2nd I'll put the thing in "2" then hold it there & step on the acclerator halfway. or floor it, my car is slow anyways. Then it'll be in "2" thru the whole thing & theres plenty of power in 2nd gear @ 30mph, this is nto yr torqless AV6 step on it half way @ 30mph it'll rev up close to 3000rpm because TC doesn't lock up & off we go. problem solved auto rules end of discussion

Old 02-06-2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

I would floor the auto & when it downshifts to like 2nd I'll put the thing in "2" then hold it there & step on the acclerator halfway. or floor it, my car is slow anyways. Then it'll be in "2" thru the whole thing & theres plenty of power in 2nd gear @ 30mph, this is nto yr torqless AV6 step on it half way @ 30mph it'll rev up close to 3000rpm because TC doesn't lock up & off we go. problem solved auto rules end of discussion

poseur
Old 02-06-2002, 07:33 PM

I would floor the auto & when it downshifts to like 2nd I'll put the thing in "2" then hold it there & step on it halfway. or floor it, my car is slow anyways. Then it'll be in "2" thru the whole thing, problem solved auto rules
Not.

You didn't address the part where the 5spd was a few cars ahead going into the intersection

Old 02-06-2002, 07:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: VQ + 5spd Love

Not.

You didn't address the part where the 5spd was a few cars ahead going into the intersection

:wal:
Not.

well u didn't say the 5spd is going WOT, nor is the auto so they'll be even & when 5spd drivers see the light going to turn red they might panic & mis shift & blow the engine .

Old 02-06-2002, 08:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ + 5spd Love

Not.

well u didn't say the 5spd is going WOT, nor is the auto so they'll be even & when 5spd drivers see the light going to turn red they might panic & mis shift & blow the engine .
Wishful thinking

...and 5spd drivers don't mis-shift
Old 02-06-2002, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ + 5spd Love

Not.

WTF?!?

You obviously have never driven a stick shift car. The 5-speed Max and the autotragic Max will definitely not be even at WOT or less than WOT. The 5-speed Max will blow the doors off of a autotragic Max. Missing a shift will not cause an engine to blow. That is just the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ + 5spd Love

You obviously have never driven a stick shift car. The 5-speed Max and the autotragic Max will definitely not be even at WOT or less than WOT. The 5-speed Max will blow the doors off of a autotragic Max. Missing a shift will not cause an engine to blow. That is just the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
LOL...we're just playing around
Old 02-06-2002, 08:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ + 5spd Love

WTF?!?

WTF u're the only one that took it seriously, of course I know a 5spd will blow the doors off a autotragic when they're racing Steve knows I would rather have an accord i4 stick than a autotragic maxima. go visit those celica GT-S forums, I'm sure u'll see engine blow up stories due to misshift. Ask emax what happened to his S/C I30 when he mis shifted 3 to 4(it didn't blow up & was I joking abt the blow up part)

read my profile, I'm an auto hater too [rolleyes picture here, ran out of smileys]
Old 02-07-2002, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
i love 5spds!! NYC Traffic is NO EXCUSE!
The only possible place I have even been slightly annoyed with the stick is on I-87 South at the exit for the GW Bridge and Triborough. Backed up all the way to Jersey it was sh**** because you're going uphill on the ramp and people are merging from your right. But other than that, I've driven many a time with I-95 in Philly backed the f*** up and had no complaints with the stick.

It's a mindset if you ask me--check out the people in the office who drive a stick. We're a twisted group of people--twisted in a good way that is!

Quick Reply: VQ + 5spd Love