General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Close call with a deer last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 07:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was in the left lane on this main road (1000 Oaks) and I had just embarressed an old Prelude and was looking down for a split second to change the radio station, when I look up there's a deer five feet in front of me running from the right of the road to the left, so I swerved hard in front of the Prelude (I'm glad I knew where it was) to the right and just barely missed the deer on my front left corner. I'm so glad I didn't race that Prelude up higher than 45. Man I was so glad I missed it. Last week this girl I know had a buck run smack into her car when she was driving and shattered the passenger window of her Intrepid. Anyone for deer hunting?
Old 11-15-2000, 07:17 AM

LOL!
Old 11-15-2000, 07:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 11-15-2000, 07:34 AM

I am a deer slayer

For all who saw the gold package for free, that was me. The day, and I mean the day I switched the gold package to chrome, I hit a deer that night and whatta ya know. I crushed my grill, bent my hood, and demolished my left headlight assembly and condenser. It cost me $1,400 ( actually $500 deductible) anyone for deer hunting this weekend. Happy Hunting, LOL.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:16 AM

just wondering

.. what speed you would have to hit a deer at to trigger the air bag. I guess to a certain extent it depends on the angle of the hit etc., or given that deer are fairly long in the legs, maybe the front bumper would just snap 'em without the airbag going off at all. any guess? or actual experiences?
Old 11-15-2000, 10:00 AM

Whoa

I see ..
Pick on me while i'm not around right .???

doug ---> <----me

take that doug ... at least i don't follow heffer's to the gym and contemplate a one night stand just to drive her car .. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i don't let women throw me around like you doug..

Ant
Old 11-15-2000, 10:32 AM

awwww

now now doug...

we don't need to start sending derogatory gestures at each other ... thats not the answer

Violence is the Answer ..

Ant
Old 11-15-2000, 11:07 AM

Scary stuff. My friend was on his way up to Montana last year in his van, and got hit by a Semi Wheel. He was comming around a corner and this damn wheel hit his van smack in the center of the grill. Totaled the van. The wheel had come off a 18-wheeler on it's way up the mountain.
Old 11-15-2000, 04:00 PM

Luckily we're not driving SUVs

Last year I was driving home in the snow in my M3 (the predecessor to my Max). A deer ran in front of my car and stopped right in front of me. I hit the deer travelling at ~50 mph.

While this was going on, I was thinking of all of the newspaper articles I had read of people killed when hitting deer, and stories of cars being totaled.

Fortunately, the front of the BMW was so low that it clipped the deer in the knees and the deer flew up and over the car. The only damage was to a fog light and the plastic grill, not enough to hit my $250 deductible.

If I owned a nice, high vehicle, with a flat front, then...
Old 11-15-2000, 06:28 PM
My 4DSC

Close call with a HUGE bird....

happened 2 days after i got my Max...
this ENORMOUS bird (AT LEAST a 6' wingspan & 3' tall!)...
landed in my lane right infront of my car & would NOT move!
so i had to pull an emergency manuever and swing the car into the oncoming lane (nobody was coming)...
i look in my rearview and the ***** didnt even move an inch!
another car that was behind me had to do the same thing.
usually birds are pretty smart/quick...not this one.

hahaha...that woulda been funny if i hit him and did like $1500 worth of damage...i think my insurance company wouldve thought i was nuts.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:31 PM

Happened to me and it scared the living crap out of me.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:45 PM

30-40MPH to trigger the airbags, but since the majority of the animal's weight is above the bumper, hitting it @ 60mph will not trigger the sensor to deploy the airbags (not enough weight in the legs). The deer will roll over the vehicle & dmg the windshield, roof, & usually driver's mirror. Good thing you missed it, ANTS.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:53 PM

That was years ago.
One foggy day and I was driving my station wagon down the interstate in Iowa. I was going at around 55. All of a sudden I sensed something moving on left. What the hell could have been there moving on the side of an interstate? I instinctively looked at the rearview mirror and guess what? The Chevy Celebrity behind me slammed into a frigging deer. A BIG one. The deer did a sommersault. One back flip later it felt on top of the hood of the Chevy. The headlights on the Chevy went out right away and that guy pulled out immediately.

That was scary.
Old 11-15-2000, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
I was in the left lane on this main road (1000 Oaks) and I had just embarressed an old Prelude and was looking down for a split second to change the radio station, when I look up there's a deer five feet in front of me running from the right of the road to the left, so I swerved hard in front of the Prelude (I'm glad I knew where it was) to the right and just barely missed the deer on my front left corner. I'm so glad I didn't race that Prelude up higher than 45. Man I was so glad I missed it. Last week this girl I know had a buck run smack into her car when she was driving and shattered the passenger window of her Intrepid. Anyone for deer hunting?
I was driving along a winding, twisting, hilly country road in Texas a couple years ago. I topped a rise to find three longhorn steers standing in the middle of the road before me. I crammed on the brakes, and came to a halt about six feet away from one of them. These things were HUGE! They loomed high above my car, and their horns spanned clear across my lane. Together, I'm sure they weighed much more than my car. Whew... What a close call. I thought I was going to have to "bump" into them to get them to move, too. Even after my sudden appearance and a screeching halt, they just stood there like statues. Go figure...
Old 11-15-2000, 10:00 PM

don't f.uck animals. they are our family!

John