General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Best TIRES for traction/handling??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 06:07 PM
My 4DSC

Best TIRES for traction/handling??

Gimme your opinions...
Performance VS Bang for the buck...

I'm looking for 17" tires BTW...

Old 02-15-2002, 06:46 PM

If you have the cash go for Pirelli P-Zero Direzionales. I have these on my Porsche, and I can honestly say they are incredible. Bang for buck, well, everyone seems to be going with Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's. BTW didn't you have P-Zeros on your car at one point?
Old 02-15-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Supermachoman
If you have the cash go for Pirelli P-Zero Direzionales. I have these on my Porsche, and I can honestly say they are incredible. Bang for buck, well, everyone seems to be going with Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's. BTW didn't you have P-Zeros on your car at one point?
]

I haven't been particularly impressed with my Kumho's.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've done a LOT of research all over the place for tires for my new 17" rims. all the porsche and BMW owners have told me to get the kumbos because for autocross / hard driving / drag racing I will eat up tires like crazy but its not a problem because I can buy a second set of kumbos with the money I saved. My other choices are the potenza S0-3 and the BF goodrich T/A
Old 02-15-2002, 09:12 PM

I'm looking for 235/45/17, and I'm torn between Yokohama AVS dB ($144ea at tirerack) and Bridgestone Potenza RE950 ($149ea).

The AVS dB is Ultra High Performance All-Season, but the performance numbers exceed a lot of the summer tires, it's quiet and it's W speed rated.

The RE950 is supposedly only High Performance AS, but it performs even better than the AVS dB (nearly up to S-03 Pole Positions level), and has higher treadwear rating. It has the UNI-T AQ-II technology. The drawbacks are that it is slightly noisier and is H-rated.

I'm asking myself if I really need to go faster than 130mph for any length of time.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by ru4real
I'm looking for 235/45/17, and I'm torn between Yokohama AVS dB ($144ea at tirerack) and Bridgestone Potenza RE950 ($149ea).

The AVS dB is Ultra High Performance All-Season, but the performance numbers exceed a lot of the summer tires, it's quiet and it's W speed rated.

The RE950 is supposedly only High Performance AS, but it performs even better than the AVS dB (nearly up to S-03 Pole Positions level), and has higher treadwear rating. It has the UNI-T AQ-II technology. The drawbacks are that it is slightly noisier and is H-rated.

I'm asking myself if I really need to go faster than 130mph for any length of time.
I have the RE950 and have gone 140MPH on them just fine. I honestly am so happy with both the snow and dry traction of my RE950 tires that I recommend them to a lot of people and everybody who got them on my advice has thanked me and agreed. They are not the best "high-performance" tire, but you won't find a better tire for all season at any price.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by theblue

I have the RE950 and have gone 140MPH on them just fine. I honestly am so happy with both the snow and dry traction of my RE950 tires that I recommend them to a lot of people and everybody who got them on my advice has thanked me and agreed. They are not the best "high-performance" tire, but you won't find a better tire for all season at any price.
u were the only car there last time @ the dyno meet that couldn't get up that slope in front of the garage how long did those lasted?
Old 02-15-2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
u were the only car there last time @ the dyno meet that couldn't get up that slope in front of the garage how long did those lasted?
that was a sheet of ice on a hill... the only person who made it up without too much trouble was my friend's RSX-S because he had true snow tires on. I also could not get a running start because another car was blocking the area I would have needed to start at to get any speed.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I've done a LOT of research all over the place for tires for my new 17" rims. all the porsche and BMW owners have told me to get the kumbos because for autocross / hard driving / drag racing I will eat up tires like crazy but its not a problem because I can buy a second set of kumbos with the money I saved. My other choices are the potenza S0-3 and the BF goodrich T/A
i jsut ordered BF g-force comp t/a kd's. 252 a tire retail on tire rack, 9.7 rating for dry traction i got a set at my door for 725, now i'm thining 18x8.5 Zenetti Vegas or Valeos.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:35 PM

that was a sheet of ice on a hill... the only person who made it up without too much trouble was my friend's RSX-S because he had true snow tires on. I also could not get a running start because another car was blocking the area I would have needed to start at to get any speed.
oh oops I didn't see that all I saw was like 3 guys pushing yr car, anyways how many miles do u think 950s can last?
Old 02-15-2002, 09:43 PM

I agree with dmbmaxima88 on his choice of tires. But if you don't want to spent that much money check out BFGoodich g-Force T/A KWD's or KWDS's, both have sidewall inserts for better cornering(like all g-force T/A's), AA rated for traction and A rated for temperature. The KWD's have a 300 treadwear rating, Y speed rating, and sell for about $150. The KWDS's have a 400 treadwear rating, W speed rating and sell for about $125. I'm thinking about buying the KWDS's for my 16in rims.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Max Power X
I agree with dmbmaxima88 on his choice of tires. But if you don't want to spent that much money check out BFGoodich g-Force T/A KWD's or KWDS's, both have sidewall inserts for better cornering(like all g-force T/A's), AA rated for traction and A rated for temperature. The KWD's have a 300 treadwear rating, Y speed rating, and sell for about $150. The KWDS's have a 400 treadwear rating, W speed rating and sell for about $125. I'm thinking about buying the KWDS's for my 16in rims.
ya but i payed 181 at my door for mine that's why i jumped on it.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:05 PM

When I get 17's, I'll be going with Toyo Proxes T1-S. I've read good things about them.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, Toyo Proxes T1-Ss kick ***. Worth every penny.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:27 AM

That's good to hear, I'm planning on getting them any week now. The Dunlop Sport A2 actually have a higher rating and are cheaper, but somehow the tread doesn't look too advanced (AA traction and higher treadwear). I'm not concerned about the HR rating either. I've seen the 950's on a GLE and also a Lexus ES300--the tread looks fairly aggressive.

Back in November I had my 60k service and the svc. mgr. insisted I needed new tires. I told him I'm getting them in a couple of weeks, he said "They're not gonna last a couple weeks!!" That was 3 months ago! Yeah, it's a pain when your tires leak in Philly, the two places that had free air seem to be having problems with their compressor and the duct tape ain't holding up on the hose. But I just found another Amoco station with free air!! Yeeha!
Old 02-16-2002, 09:02 AM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Supermachoman
yes i had pirelli pzero rosso assimetrico's...
they were pretty good, not the best i've used...
i kinda liked my Yokohama Paradas...
cheap, great wet weather traction, soft, great acceleration with minimal slip...BUT they feel a little mushy in the turns...

Old 02-16-2002, 09:13 AM
My 4DSC

Anyone ever use the "Falken Azenis"...
My friend says they're great...
Price looks good too @ only $115 for 235/45/17 on tires.com...