General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

CAI and Y-Pipe, or high performance clutch and short shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CAI and Y-Pipe, or high performance clutch and short shifter?

ok guys, well it seems uncle sam is gonna pay off some stuff for me, and also finish up my suspension mods... sprints, agx's, rsb... already got cattman fstb... anyways, my question is, should i use the rest of the money for a CAI and Y-Pipe, or should i upgrade to a high performance clutch and get a short shift kit... cuz see, when i bought my car it had 90K on it, and currently has 103K on it, but i dont know how abusive the owner b4 me was... should i go ahead and upgrade to a high performance clutch and get the shift kit, cuz then id have that out of the way and can tie up other money later in more performance mods and wont have to worry too much about my clutch goin out and leaving me sol somewhere... what do u guys think?
Old 02-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well if your clutch is going i say upgrade(if the owner never changed it.....upgrade it), if its still fine then i say get the cai and ypipe.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Lives in a 350Z

Get the CAI+Y-pipe!!! so the clutch dies faster than you'll have reason to get a new one

you'll be happy both ways
Old 02-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Same as stated above

Was the car purchased off a lot or from a private owner. A private owner can give you history report about the car, from a lot who knows if the previous owner just replaced the clutch within 10-15K ago. So unless your present clutch starting to show signs of slippage I say go with the other mods. Besides most stock clutch in decent condition can hold up to most if not all n/a mods. Besides completing your suspension mods, ever thought of upgrading your brake system. I'm a firm believer in upgrading your suspension, brakes, engine, others in that order.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Same as stated above

Originally posted by CandiMan
Was the car purchased off a lot or from a private owner. A private owner can give you history report about the car, from a lot who knows if the previous owner just replaced the clutch within 10-15K ago. So unless your present clutch starting to show signs of slippage I say go with the other mods. Besides most stock clutch in decent condition can hold up to most if not all n/a mods. Besides completing your suspension mods, ever thought of upgrading your brake system. I'm a firm believer in upgrading your suspension, brakes, engine, others in that order.

i have thought of upgrading my brake system actually... i had my brake pads changed a few months ago, and ever since they squeal like hell... i want to do that over the summer, but not sure which setup is best... anyways, i think i may go with the CAI and Y-Pipe first, then upgrade my clutch, cuz it doesnt slip or anything, and seems to be fine, i just know what its like to have a clutch go out on you, and since i purchased the car from a lot, i wanted to be on the safe side... btw candiman, u have a pretty tite looking 3rd gen!