General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RSB question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 08:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Okay, I've done a search and I've read the MaxFaq... so don't flame me about asking yet another RSB question! I've done my homework but am still a little confused.

Okay, so my understanding is that there are two RSB for the Max. Addco and Stillen. The price difference is $70 w/ the Stillen one obviously being the more expensive one. Also, the MaxFaq said that urethane bushings are better than rubber bushings.

Now, I'm pretty sure I also read that the Addco one is not adjustable while the Stillen one is.

And the MaxFaq said that "the two should theoretically work the same".

So... after telling you all what I do know... my questions are:

1) How important is it that the RSB be adjustable?
2) How important is it in the way it is mounted? (MaxFaq said, "Addco unit uses bushings, which must compress first, where as the Stillen unit mounts onto the arms directly.")
3) If they both work the same, should I be spending the extra money for the Stillen RSB?

And any other advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-2000, 08:15 PM
The missing moderator

Thanks for reading the faq ;-)

Ok.. here's the deal... at the limits they will work the same. But the stillen will have a better inital response b/c it is in direct contact witht he trailing arm... where as the addco's bushing has to compress first before the bar take into effect.

Adjustabilit is not that big of a deal. But I think Addcos are sort of adjustable... you just adjust them differently.

Get the Addco bar, save $70 go have a few beers.

-Shing

Originally posted by clee130
Okay, I've done a search and I've read the MaxFaq... so don't flame me about asking yet another RSB question! I've done my homework but am still a little confused.

Okay, so my understanding is that there are two RSB for the Max. Addco and Stillen. The price difference is $70 w/ the Stillen one obviously being the more expensive one. Also, the MaxFaq said that urethane bushings are better than rubber bushings.

Now, I'm pretty sure I also read that the Addco one is not adjustable while the Stillen one is.

And the MaxFaq said that "the two should theoretically work the same".

So... after telling you all what I do know... my questions are:

1) How important is it that the RSB be adjustable?
2) How important is it in the way it is mounted? (MaxFaq said, "Addco unit uses bushings, which must compress first, where as the Stillen unit mounts onto the arms directly.")
3) If they both work the same, should I be spending the extra money for the Stillen RSB?

And any other advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-2000, 08:23 PM

if anyone else reads this i would like to know if i should grease some of the bushings prior to installation. addco finally sent me a proper bracket after the first shipment came with a wrong sized one. also what poundages should the bolts be torqued to?
Old 11-16-2000, 08:31 PM

Just use liquid soap & clean up. Check out the install @

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/

Old 11-17-2000, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver
if anyone else reads this i would like to know if i should grease some of the bushings prior to installation. addco finally sent me a proper bracket after the first shipment came with a wrong sized one. also what poundages should the bolts be torqued to?
soap won't so a thing! spray on white lithium grease.

i know a few guys who hate their squeel and change over to the Stillen RSB cuz it does not use urethane bushings
Old 11-17-2000, 06:03 AM

Lithium grease is ok. It is not waterproof however. Go to a marine supply and get waterproof trailer grease. I have the front urethane bushing and no squeeking.
Old 11-17-2000, 07:07 AM

Generously soap the inside of the bushing & it slides right on. And no, I did not have to man handle the RSB w/a rubber mallet.
Old 11-17-2000, 12:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Urethane bushings here, I used soap... no squeaking... Well except from the white knuckled wife.

If you were an autocrosser that liked to tweak things then I'd get stillen. If not get the addco and enjoy the beer!