General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Stolen. . . How? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 01:18 PM

Maxima Stolen. . . How? Help?

My 98 Max was stolen last night, but I do not know how they did it. there was no glass or evidence that the car window was broken. Even if they did break the window, I would have heard the alarm.

Has anyone heard of car theives that steal by towing a car away?
How about someone purchasing a key from the dealership?

How could someone do this? What do you think my chances of getting my car back are?
Help!
Old 03-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Administrator

are you sure it wasn't repossed?
Old 03-01-2002, 01:23 PM

Yes! I am sure it was not repoed.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Administrator

you called the PD and filed a report
Old 03-01-2002, 01:28 PM

Sorry man to hear that, and yes they can tow it away, alot of theives use flat bed tow trucks to do it.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:03 PM

high but thinking

they way they steal cars is by pushing on the window down so it brkaes the rail its on and they slide the window out and reach in and done and also i have figured out is that when u arm the car (stock alarm) butur inthe car and unlock the doors it disarms the alarm pretty wierd i think main reason why maximas are stolen so much
Old 03-01-2002, 02:24 PM

I always experienced the opposite. If the window is down and the alarm is armed, when you unlock the door from the inside, the alarm goes off. Oh well. thanks for the help
Old 03-01-2002, 03:28 PM

my friends way was stolen this way.. hes got an alarm, his car is loud, etc.

throw those lil rollers under the FWD or RWD wheels. roll/tow it somewhere else, and do whatever..
Old 03-01-2002, 04:53 PM
i SeE what you did therE

that suxs.. sorry to hear that..

hope you find it.. and it is ok...........
Old 03-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
I always experienced the opposite. If the window is down and the alarm is armed, when you unlock the door from the inside, the alarm goes off. Oh well. thanks for the help
My Max and Alti do the same thing. And yes, they can get a key by going to a Nissan Dealer with the VIN and then the dealer faxes the VIN to somewhere, and they fax back a Key code (4-6 digits) and then Nissan cuts the key. I had to have it done when I locked my keys in my car...don't make fun of me, alot of others do it.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:12 PM

stolen ,max

thats terrible i know how you feel mine was also stolen once.in the future make sure you invest in a good alarm.also get as many deterents as possible this will make a theif think twice hopefully.dont alarms go off when the car are lifted ,meaning if someone tried to tow it??
Old 03-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: high but thinking

Originally posted by geomax
they way they steal cars is by pushing on the window down so it brkaes the rail its on and they slide the window out and reach in and done and also i have figured out is that when u arm the car (stock alarm) butur inthe car and unlock the doors it disarms the alarm pretty wierd i think main reason why maximas are stolen so much

i also thought the same thing, but if i remember correctly its not the fact that ur in the car, its the fact that the alarm either waits, 30 seconds, or 2 mins after you push the button, i dont rememher how long, then it arms itself so if you locked or keys in or so on its like ur lil safety zone, to double check this, sit in ur car arm the stock alarm, talk on ur cell phone or sompin for a while then check and see if the alarm goes off after like 1 min or so when u unlock it
Old 03-01-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: Maxima Stolen. . . How? Help?

My 98 Max was stolen last night, but I do not know how they did it. there was no glass or evidence that the car window was broken. Even if they did break the window, I would have heard the alarm.

How could someone do this? What do you think my chances of getting my car back are?
Help!
Please mention location when you describe these incidents.

My ex lives in Center City Phila. People used to park in her lot and walk to the clubs. Sitting in my Max we once witnessed a tow truck remove one of those Range Rover WTF do you call it HSE's or whatever the **** they're called. I was quite surprised that something like that 4x4 they weren't using a flatbed, but I guess it's not their vehicle what do they care. They put a dolly underneath the rear and it was gone in just over 2 minutes. People are cheap all over, spend 65k on an SUV and you can't drop 15 to park and another $10 tip to the valet. Just like some dude in a 750il asking for a receipt on the turnpike. That dude ever heard of EZ Pass?
Old 03-01-2002, 08:14 PM
KFL

Re: Maxima Stolen. . . How? Help?

Help!
Yes it possible to tow but usually have to have access to it I doubt no offense someone would tow a Max unless it was loaded to the teeth and they new it go after a more expensive

The key will may work but again its theory, a slim jim may work and no damage would be done but they would need to then quickly pop the hood and cut the speaker or disable it from inside snip wire.

Chances are getting car back are slim if you dont hear anything in from police/impound in 3-4days chances are its been full chopped up if the lesser found in 1-2days it will be mod free. And you should be able to find out how it was stolen, popped ignition, broken window, window off rails.
Sorry to hear about it though it sucks i hope you were fully covered and have kept receipts for your mods as they will give you some money back for them.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:44 PM

The factory alarm is garbage, I hope you had an aftermarket alarm. Even if they had a key and you had an aftermarket alarm it should have gone off. If you had the multilock installed and it was still stolen then u know it was towed..... Sorry man , I hope they find out who the bastards r, where did this happen?
Old 03-02-2002, 12:34 AM

Re: Re: high but thinking

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

i also thought the same thing, but if i remember correctly its not the fact that ur in the car, its the fact that the alarm either waits, 30 seconds, or 2 mins after you push the button, i dont rememher how long, then it arms itself so if you locked or keys in or so on its like ur lil safety zone, to double check this, sit in ur car arm the stock alarm, talk on ur cell phone or sompin for a while then check and see if the alarm goes off after like 1 min or so when u unlock it
That is correct. The stock alarm waits 30 seconds to arm after you lock the doors.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:16 AM

that's messed up 98sterling mist. I'm in Memphis as well. What part of town was it stolen in? I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:02 AM

They found It

It is pretty well stripped. The engine bay seems untouched and all my mods except for my clear corners are gone. They took my 16" SE rims and tires, scratched it up pretty good. They took everything on the inside: Seats (front and rear) black leather, the entire center console and carpet. Oh well, just have to wait for the insurance to tell me if they will fix it or total it out.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:20 AM
maximo1

Good to hear they found your ride. A little stripped.. but having it back is better than not finding it at all. You pay for insurance, now it is time for them to pay fo rthe damages. Auto theft will always be a neverending battle. Damn thieves

Old 03-05-2002, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im thinking recaro seats...=) I love insurance
Old 03-05-2002, 09:39 AM

Re: They found It

It is pretty well stripped. The engine bay seems untouched and all my mods except for my clear corners are gone. They took my 16" SE rims and tires, scratched it up pretty good. They took everything on the inside: Seats (front and rear) black leather, the entire center console and carpet. Oh well, just have to wait for the insurance to tell me if they will fix it or total it out.
Thanks for your help.
I feel bad for you man, if someone jacked my Max, I'd be going crazy! (I'm sure you were too....)
At least you got it back.....

Did you find out how they were able to steal it???
Old 03-05-2002, 12:32 PM

Which mods did they take?

Maybe insurance will replace them and allow for a few extras

SuDZ
Old 03-05-2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Which mods did they take?

Maybe insurance will replace them and allow for a few extras

SuDZ
But they may have abused the **** out of it. Who wants to put pieces back together and keep it then? Hopefully insurance will cover the mods though then they can just part it out. You see those cars in Auto Hunter all the time, who wants them?
Old 03-06-2002, 08:13 AM
bjyang

u kno how easy...

it is to disarm an aftermarket alarm??? I can do it in less than a 30 secs prob. Did you have a hoodpin to set ur alarm off if the hood is opened????