General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

GForce ECU installed! Wow, nice mod!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:03 AM
Keven97SE

GForce ECU installed! Wow, nice mod!

I got the GForce ECU used from UncleMax/Alex in Houston yesterday. After a couple hundred miles of driving, I can say that this mod kicks booty. The whole powerband is smoother and torque between 3500-5500 is much stronger. The car pulls like mad in 3rd when merging onto a highway. Wow. There's no BS with this mod...it really works nicely. I'd definitely put this at my #2 engine mod behind the ypipe. Even if I had paid the full price for a new unit, it'd be worth it.

The only bad part was when the ECU caught fire when I was driving.

No, not really.

I did get some mild knocking one time on the highway yesterday, similar to what I usually get from time to time on hot summer days. I never used to knock on cold days, though. That's something I certainly need to monitor, especially when summer comes around, but then again we do have a knock sensor so I suppose I'm covered. I'll need to scrutinize the gas I pick from now on (93 only).

I want to say thanks to Alex also. Very nice guy. He basically did the swap for me. I could not get any of those screws off...I was so worthless. Alex's car is going to kick azz when he gets his turbo project completed. Everything is coming together really nice...kit looks really professional!

Old 03-03-2002, 12:16 PM
SLOW

Just wondering how much you paid for it... I wanted to purchase it from him but he said he already had a buyer I guess it was you.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:28 PM

Are you going to dyno with it?
Old 03-03-2002, 01:19 PM

Any problems running it with your 97? Check engine light, etc? How's gas mileage? I guess you wont know MPG until after a few weeks n tank fulls.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alex is a great guy, im the one who bought the ypipe from him, the day i spoke with him i sent him the money via paypal and he shipped it out the next day and it arrived a couple days ago, extremely fast service thanks Alex, now make me wanna get your turbo!
Old 03-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Keven97SE

I don't really want to discuss price, but I did pay substantially less than the current group deal pricing.

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Just wondering how much you paid for it... I wanted to purchase it from him but he said he already had a buyer I guess it was you.

Old 03-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Keven97SE

Perhaps in the next couple months, but it's not a priority. I'll certainly let everyone know my results when I do.

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Are you going to dyno with it?

Old 03-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Keven97SE

No problems whatsoever. The car started right up and drove fine. Of course, it took some time (50+ miles I'd guess) for the ECU to re-learn the optimal parameters for my car, but no the car ran fine right off the bat.

I actually drove down to San Antonio last night, so I drove a full tank on the ECU. No change in gas mileage. I went ~350-360 miles before my light came on (put in ~16 gal). This is pretty much what I've been getting.

My check engine light is on (took 50 miles or so before it did), but then again it was on before the ECU also. I need to have my rear O2 sensor installed...I put in a factory cat-back a year ago and it doesn't have the O2 sensor nut in it (different year...99?). That rear sensor just verifies the state of the main cat and is not used for tweaking fuel mixtures, so I just haven't gotten around to it.

I'll let everyone know if, when I do get that O2 sensor installed and re-set the ECU, if the MIL light goes out and stays out.

Originally posted by ericdwong
Any problems running it with your 97? Check engine light, etc? How's gas mileage? I guess you wont know MPG until after a few weeks n tank fulls.

Old 03-03-2002, 05:52 PM
pmg

You had to use a '96 ecu though right? I thought they hadn't figured out the '97.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Surprised sprint hasn't joined yet - lol.

Guys, I hate to break it to you but the G-Force ECU is WORTHLESS. What's that one fairytale you heard when you were a kid? Something with the emporor's clothes? Well, that's what the G-Force ECU is. Everyone wants to beleive it does something, everyone else is saying it does something, nobody wants to accually speak up if they do feel it does nothing, so everyone just says it does something. It does nothing man and you just wasted $100s for nothing. ...As did I. Sorry to be negative but it's the truth. And you would realize that too if you reported actual/real dyno results instead of butt-dyno results. Once again, sorry to be negative.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:17 PM
SLOW

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Guys, I hate to break it to you but the G-Force ECU is WORTHLESS. What's that one fairytale you heard when you were a kid? Something with the emporor's clothes? Well, that's what the G-Force ECU is. Everyone wants to beleive it does something, everyone else is saying it does something, nobody wants to accually speak up if they do feel it does nothing, so everyone just says it does something. It does nothing man and you just wasted $100s for nothing. ...As did I. Sorry to be negative but it's the truth. And you would realize that too if you reported actual/real dyno results instead of butt-dyno results. Once again, sorry to be negative.

Why don't you take a look at BEJAYs dyno results from last weekend, before and after installing the G-Force ECU and rethink your statement. Jump in torque from 3000rpms where the dyno plot starts to redline. Torque went from 190-ish up to 206 ft-lb. If thats not a real gain, I don't know what is. Did you ever dyno yours? Or are you just going by your super-accurate butt dyno?
Old 03-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Administrator

i am watching it keenly.. i am trying to calm down so cheston can sell his new set.. i will get loud again after the group deal is over.. if anyone was buying this ECU hasn't done a search enough to know what the deal is with it then i can't say much..

Old 03-03-2002, 08:38 PM

I thought Cheston put up dyno comparos between his 97 stock ECU a stock 96 ECU in his 97 and then the GForce ECU.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by ericdwong
I thought Cheston put up dyno comparos between his 97 stock ECU a stock 96 ECU in his 97 and then the GForce ECU.
he did
Old 03-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Why don't you take a look at BEJAYs dyno results from last weekend, before and after installing the G-Force ECU and rethink your statement. Jump in torque from 3000rpms where the dyno plot starts to redline. Torque went from 190-ish up to 206 ft-lb. If thats not a real gain, I don't know what is. Did you ever dyno yours? Or are you just going by your super-accurate butt dyno?

Yes my super-accurate butt dyno reveiled no gains at all. But my 1/4 times proved it. I'm going by my back to back to back 1/4 mile runs of stock ECU to G-Force ECU with a net average gain of 0.07 seconds. Which, using a HP calculator (and assuming a vehicle weight of ~3200 lb) would be equal to ~2 HP. Show me BEJAYs dyno results please, I haven't seen them. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Yes my super-accurate butt dyno reveiled no gains at all.
You must have one hell of a calibrated *******.. Interesting thread, keep it going with facts(dyno's/pics/timeslips/etc) and not BS please..

Old 03-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Maximamike

You must have one hell of a calibrated *******.. Interesting thread, keep it going with facts(dyno's/pics/timeslips/etc) and not BS please..

By saying I FELT no gains with the G-Force is BS?!! How do you figure it's BS?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:06 PM
SLOW

Heres BEJAY1's dyno plot. All runs were made on the same day.G-Force ECU Dyno

The green line is G-Force ecu plus all his bolt ons BEFORE the 5th gen muffler. Red line is bolt ons PLUS 5th gen muffler but NOT with the ECU. Blue line, is bolt ons, 5th gen muffler and G-Force ECU. Look at the torque figure... its friggin huge.

Ptatohead what sort of trap speeds change was there though. both 1/8th trap speed and 1/4 mile trap speed. 1/4 mile times don't mean a whole lot in my mind... people have good days and bad days at the track. Trap speeds are usually a better indication of a cars power, since they are much less affected by the launch.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:10 PM
Administrator

The green line is G-Force ecu plus all his bolt ons BEFORE the 5th gen muffler. Red line is bolt ons PLUS 5th gen muffler but NOT with the ECU. Blue line, is bolt ons, 5th gen muffler and G-Force ECU. Look at the torque figure... its friggin huge.

Ptatohead what sort of trap speeds change was there though. both 1/8th trap speed and 1/4 mile trap speed. 1/4 mile times don't mean a whole lot in my mind... people have good days and bad days at the track. Trap speeds are usually a better indication of a cars power, since they are much less affected by the launch.
i can show you a 5th Gen Dyno with the same mods with a 7
tq difference..

plus swapping ECU's like that? how is the ECU getting a chance to relearn itself in that short of time?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks Neal. I'll have to get the trap speeds for you when I get home. I don't have them memorized but they are in my notes. You have a good point but 'good days and bad days' are irrelevent. Mine were done on the same day. Back to back. Multiple runs. Averaged. Thanks for the link. I'll get you those trap speeds. (I don't have 1/8 though).
Old 03-03-2002, 09:23 PM
SLOW

Thanks Neal. I'll have to get the trap speeds for you when I get home. I don't have them memorized but they are in my notes. You have a good point but 'good days and bad days' are irrelevent. Mine were done on the same day. Back to back. Multiple runs. Averaged. Thanks for the link. I'll get you those trap speeds. (I don't have 1/8 though).
Just out of curiousity, how many runs did you make that day both with and without the GForce ECU. Its good that you did the runs on the same day, that creates a bit more consistency as far as conditions go. I've made a spreadsheet of my runs and noticed some weird things happening, even within the same day. When I break it down to which lane I was in and such. Through it all though, my trapspeeds have been consistent with regards to what mods I had and the conditions.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Just out of curiousity, how many runs did you make that day both with and without the GForce ECU. Its good that you did the runs on the same day, that creates a bit more consistency as far as conditions go. I've made a spreadsheet of my runs and noticed some weird things happening, even within the same day. When I break it down to which lane I was in and such. Through it all though, my trapspeeds have been consistent with regards to what mods I had and the conditions.

Maybe this will help. Here is the exact e-mail I sent Robert at G-Force:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """

Hey Robert. Well, I finally got out with my G-Tech Pro and both ECUs. I did 7 runs with my G-Force ECU and 7 runs with my stock ECU. I kept it in 'D' so as not to introduce as much variation as when I manually shift (although manually shifting does yield better times). Everything was 100% equal except the swapping of the ECUs. The only other performance mod. right now is a catback. I dropped the worse run from each and averaged the best six runs. The G-Force is definitely quicker, without a doubt. My worse run with the G-Force ECU was still better than my best run with the stock ECU. However, the gains were no where what I expected/hoped for. I am very, very disappointed to say the least. There is an average increased gain of 0.07 seconds on the quarter mile with the G-Force ECU. Needless to say, I am very, very bummed. $400 (plus $200) is an awful lot to spend for 7 hundredths. Is this normal? Have you done tests yourself? Is there something wrong with my G-Force ECU? Please let me know what you think, I am really uncomfortable with spending the kind of money I did for the gains I saw. Thanks for your concern/responce to this issue.

-Josh

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"
Old 03-03-2002, 09:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Maybe this will help. Here is the exact e-mail I sent Robert at G-Force:
Did he ever reply?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Supermachoman

Did he ever reply?
Yeah, he's a great guy. I like him a lot. He always replies. I just don't care for his product. Unless it's either my dud ECU or my car, I got lame gains. Here is his response:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thanks for the feedback Josh,

All of our testing was done with a consult plugged in to show knock. If your
car is prone to the slightest pinging, bad gas, clogged fuel filter, the
gains will disappear or even show less power than factory since the ECU will
retard timing with any knock, audible or not.
One thing that I thought was unusual was that you mentioned that you didn't
feel any difference with the upgrade installed. This isn't normal. The
midrange gains are quite noticeable.
Have the A/F ratio checked or try a little octane boost to see if you feel
any difference.

A/T cars aren't the best for testing.
The Auto Trans on Nissans are famous for sucking up power. In the early 90s
Nissan Z owners discovered that the A/T would never lock up 100% down the
entire 1/4 mile. JWT later confirmed this in testing so from 0-100 mph the
torque converter was slipping and wasting power (don't ask, I don't know
why).

Back to Back runs from a standing start is a valid way to test for gains in
power but this type of test mostly reflects your top end peak power gains
since you only accelerate through the low - mid RPM range once in the low
gear. I think if the upgrade is working properly 'flexibility' tests such as
3000-5000 or 30 mph to 60 mph are better tests for this type of upgrade that
is engineered more towards midrange gains and not top end only. Remember the
upgrade was designed for street driving so how it enhances your street
driving was our goal. I wouldn't really spend too much time testing for
performance with standing starts as this really isn't a good way to test the
performance of a street car. Its like buying a 360 Ferrari based on 0-60
test results alone, if someone did they would be missing the point to owning
a Ferrari.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 03-04-2002, 12:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

So have you done any Consult diagnostic work so verify what the ignition timing/air-fuel ratios are doing??

Yeah, he's a great guy. I like him a lot. He always replies. I just don't care for his product. Unless it's either my dud ECU or my car, I got lame gains. Here is his response:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thanks for the feedback Josh,

All of our testing was done with a consult plugged in to show knock. If your
car is prone to the slightest pinging, bad gas, clogged fuel filter, the
gains will disappear or even show less power than factory since the ECU will
retard timing with any knock, audible or not.
One thing that I thought was unusual was that you mentioned that you didn't
feel any difference with the upgrade installed. This isn't normal. The
midrange gains are quite noticeable.
Have the A/F ratio checked or try a little octane boost to see if you feel
any difference.

A/T cars aren't the best for testing.
The Auto Trans on Nissans are famous for sucking up power. In the early 90s
Nissan Z owners discovered that the A/T would never lock up 100% down the
entire 1/4 mile. JWT later confirmed this in testing so from 0-100 mph the
torque converter was slipping and wasting power (don't ask, I don't know
why).

Back to Back runs from a standing start is a valid way to test for gains in
power but this type of test mostly reflects your top end peak power gains
since you only accelerate through the low - mid RPM range once in the low
gear. I think if the upgrade is working properly 'flexibility' tests such as
3000-5000 or 30 mph to 60 mph are better tests for this type of upgrade that
is engineered more towards midrange gains and not top end only. Remember the
upgrade was designed for street driving so how it enhances your street
driving was our goal. I wouldn't really spend too much time testing for
performance with standing starts as this really isn't a good way to test the
performance of a street car. Its like buying a 360 Ferrari based on 0-60
test results alone, if someone did they would be missing the point to owning
a Ferrari.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 03-04-2002, 01:19 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Hey Keven---
glad you like the ecu.. tell me what happens when u swap out the rear o2 sensor.. does the CHK LGT come back on?

as for ptatohed, well. sorry u think its a waste.. i thought u were supercharged? just make sure that chip is correctly prog'd...

well.. for all you guys who want more info.. let me know,, and if you want to dogg on the ecu ... please post your civilized replies...
Old 03-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Keven97SE

All, I'm so very terribly sorry for having even posted the BS that I did. After having driven my car for over 100K miles, I actually still don't even know the engine's character, so how could I REALLY know when there's a kick in 4th gear that never used to be there. I'm clueless and I'm sorry for having tried to mislead others about this product.

Seriously, the bottom line is, the previous best n/a 4th gen dyno plot shows 200 ftlbs (mine). I've now seen two ECU'd cars (Jeff K and Bejay) that dyno at 207 ftlbs at the wheels. Those cars previously dyno'd around 193ish at the wheels. So two ECU'd cars make ~14 ftlbs more than without, and 7 ftlbs more than the best n/a Maxima. Somehow, there appears to be a correlation between the torque gain and the ECU. Wouldn't you say?

The question I'm awaiting to hear now is: "So Keven, why don't you just prove there are gains by getting the car dyno'd?"

My answer: "Because it costs money to dyno you dumb ****. Are you going to pay me to do it?!"

Thereby followed up with: "But I will dyno eventually, only because I want to. I don't have a single friggin thing to prove to anybody on this forum. If I went out and dyno'd to prove others wrong, it would prove I was a dipshlitz for doing so."

Thereby necessitating the reply from others: "Settle down, Beavis."

Old 03-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Keven97SE
All, I'm so very terribly sorry for having even posted the BS that I did. After having driven my car for over 100K miles, I actually still don't even know the engine's character, so how could I REALLY know when there's a kick in 4th gear that never used to be there. I'm clueless and I'm sorry for having tried to mislead others about this product.

Seriously, the bottom line is, the previous best n/a 4th gen dyno plot shows 200 ftlbs (mine). I've now seen two ECU'd cars (Jeff K and Bejay) that dyno at 207 ftlbs at the wheels. Those cars previously dyno'd around 193ish at the wheels. So two ECU'd cars make ~14 ftlbs more than without, and 7 ftlbs more than the best n/a Maxima. Somehow, there appears to be a correlation between the torque gain and the ECU. Wouldn't you say?

The question I'm awaiting to hear now is: "So Keven, why don't you just prove there are gains by getting the car dyno'd?"

My answer: "Because it costs money to dyno you dumb ****. Are you going to pay me to do it?!"

Thereby followed up with: "But I will dyno eventually, only because I want to. I don't have a single friggin thing to prove to anybody on this forum. If I went out and dyno'd to prove others wrong, it would prove I was a dipshlitz for doing so."

Thereby necessitating the reply from others: "Settle down, Beavis."

so you are calling me a dumb **** now?
Old 03-04-2002, 07:32 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

just subscribing

Old 03-04-2002, 07:59 AM
Keven97SE

Yes I am.

Originally posted by SprintMax
so you are calling me a dumb **** now?

Old 03-04-2002, 09:45 AM

after reading previous post on this subject and the info that i got from this one i understand that better gains are present when put on a 96 max correct???..i have a 96 5spd and im seriously thinking about making this one of my next mods but i want to make sure that the gains will be worth the cash...96 cars that are tested hp gains are significant right?????

thanks for the help
jon
Old 03-04-2002, 11:33 AM

JWT ECU

I received my JWT ECU for my 96 A/T this past Friday afternoon but before I hype it, just like many have been saying, I need to give the car some time to learn the new ECU and subsequently post factual reports based on actual concrete results (be there track time slips or DYNO readings).

I was coming back from school for Spring Break and I didnt have the time to fiddle with the bracket screws so I just hooked up the new ECU and had it laying on the floor braced with a pair of socks (I have since performed the correct installation). I took it for a little spin and then proceeded to drive 255 miles back to DC. Being that has been my only extended testing with the ECU, I can report that the car just feels much more efficient. Crusing from 70-100 feels almost effortless. The car just feels like it's working half as hard.

I missed getting to the track this weekend but Im going to try to get down there this Friday (I wish they had middle of the week racing). As for general city driving, I feel a lot more resistance on the gas pedal and the pull from 40-80 is plain scary. However, as we deemed earlier, SOTP power is worthless so I will reserve judgement till I have some results on paper.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:47 AM

Sup Kev!!!!
Sorry I haven't posted I just got a chance to get to check the board.
I'm glad you liked it I really liked it myself for the whole month I had it

I got in a little trouble in that month as well. So there's no telling what'll happen when I get the project done.

Arnaud have you had a chance to install it? That's cool to see your parts making other Max's faster. To think I almost just stuck them in a closet. Then I went broke and saw the light.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:49 AM

Oh hey Kev just wanted to mention your car pulled pretty hard especially that 3rd gear scratch I hope I didn't beat your car up too much.

Laters
Old 03-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Chebosto
Hey Keven---
glad you like the ecu.. tell me what happens when u swap out the rear o2 sensor.. does the CHK LGT come back on?

as for ptatohed, well. sorry u think its a waste.. i thought u were supercharged? just make sure that chip is correctly prog'd...

well.. for all you guys who want more info.. let me know,, and if you want to dogg on the ecu ... please post your civilized replies...

I am supercharged, I have since removed the ECU. I'm talking pre-sc here. Speaking of which, Robert tells me that you are supposed to go back there so they can write a SC program. What's going on with that? I have a $600 ECU sitting in my garage - lol - so if you could get over there, that would be great. Thanks Chest.

I hope you weren't referring to me about '*******'. That's not my intention. I simply want to state my experience with the ECU for others.

P.s. How's the job-hunt going Mr. Engineer?
Old 03-04-2002, 02:49 PM
SLOW

I thought I knew the answer to this, but the other day I read something that made me rethink it.

Does an auto G-Force ECU work on a 5 speed? If so, are you interested in selling it ptatohed?
Old 03-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Keven97SE

No problem Alex, it was actually fun to sit in the passenger seat and hold on. Good luck with the turbo!

Originally posted by Uncle Max
Oh hey Kev just wanted to mention your car pulled pretty hard especially that 3rd gear scratch I hope I didn't beat your car up too much.

Laters

Old 03-04-2002, 03:08 PM

Thanks Man!!
Old 03-04-2002, 03:46 PM
Licensed to Spell

I thought I knew the answer to this, but the other day I read something that made me rethink it.

Does an auto G-Force ECU work on a 5 speed? If so, are you interested in selling it ptatohed?

I don't think so Neal but you can ask Robert. I might sell later but I am waiting for an SC program Robert told me is coming.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:20 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Auto ecu can go in a 5th gen. but not the other way around.

as far as the 96 ecu in a 96.. yes. you should see far greater gains than i ever did on my car.

we did a clayton dyno pull w/ a 96. gained like 14 in the midrange. but everyone says its BS cuz "its a clayton" which adds a load to the wheels to simulate real world environment.. other than just spinning a huge spindle like dynojet.

the ecu doesnt take that long to relearn everything... a mis conception. if you run the car with the ecu for a while and unplug it. the ecu keeps its memory. its not like its a flash memory card and just loses everything.. it will will still be there.
so the swaps on the dyno aren't that off.. so..

well. anyhoo. my offer still stands for Dave B.. i can fedex him my ecu anytime.. just he has to take it to the track. and dyno it. and fedex it to me back.

-cheston

Quick Reply: GForce ECU installed! Wow, nice mod!