General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

went to Kelley Blue Book and the news was not good

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 05:52 PM

went to Kelley Blue Book and the news was not good

My car is a 1998 5-spd SE with every available option less flaps and deflector. It listed for 29,400. The KBB value is 11,500!!! I got a whopping discount off list, yet it still lost 1/2 its value in 4 years. Over 20 cents per mile in depreciation alone, think about that next time you drive your buddies home from high school!

Why in the world would anyone trade in a Maxima and take that kind of beating? We can rationalize all we want but that 11,500 figure is the real deal, there's no way around it. All the dealer can do is inflate that number while reducing the discount on the new car.

It's like if you were going to trade me a JWT pop charger for a bottle of Dynamo 100 oz laundry detergent and insisted you wanted $150 for the pop charger, firm. I'd have to charge you $33.99 for the detergent in return. Their ain't no way around the fact the JWT is $120 new.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Re: went to Kelley Blue Book and the news was not good

try edmunds.com .. they will give you a better apraisal

also check www.bargainnews.com to see what they are going for

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
My car is a 1998 5-spd SE with every available option less flaps and deflector. It listed for 29,400. The KBB value is 11,500!!! I got a whopping discount off list, yet it still lost 1/2 its value in 4 years. Over 20 cents per mile in depreciation alone, think about that next time you drive your buddies home from high school!

Why in the world would anyone trade in a Maxima and take that kind of beating? We can rationalize all we want but that 11,500 figure is the real deal, there's no way around it. All the dealer can do is inflate that number while reducing the discount on the new car.

It's like if you were going to trade me a JWT pop charger for a bottle of Dynamo 100 oz laundry detergent and insisted you wanted $150 for the pop charger, firm. I'd have to charge you $33.99 for the detergent in return. Their ain't no way around the fact the JWT is $120 new.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: went to Kelley Blue Book and the news was not good

my 98 gxe must be worth 5 dolla if your se is worth 11.5
Old 03-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats why I got my Max used (or stolen, whatever). I will buy a 2k2 6spd in about three years and pay around $9,000 or a bit more. I'll let someone else take the beating on the car.

Erik
Old 03-05-2002, 11:47 PM

This is a major reason for me never to buy a maxima again. The depreciation is absolutely horrific. So much for the best of the class "cars like it 0" flag ship car. Civic SI's hold their value better then our crap mo biles. I hate my car! And now I'm stuck with it cause of the depreciation... even after I bought it used. The worst part is, for trade in or private party value you'll never get what KBB states.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
This is a major reason for me never to buy a maxima again. The depreciation is absolutely horrific. So much for the best of the class "cars like it 0" flag ship car. Civic SI's hold their value better then our crap mo biles. I hate my car! And now I'm stuck with it cause of the depreciation... even after I bought it used. The worst part is, for trade in or private party value you'll never get what KBB states.
The only way you can fight the depreciation is by keeping and (trying to) enjoying the car--if you don't sell you didn't lose anything. Was this car worth 22+ new? Not really, but at the time, 190 hp was decent. I know all the exact numbers on my friend's 99 323i from his emial back then.

If it means anything, the BMW COSTS MORE per mile in depreciation. However, its % is less because the car cost much more in the first place. His is a 99, not very loaded except for luxury package (no sport package etc.). Still worth 20k wholesale and he paid just over 30 for it new, about 44k miles.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:50 AM

Patience Grasshoppa'

I think you need to be patient. I sold my 95 SE Auto with a few goodies for $10,500 in about 2 weeks to a private party. I needed the cash for a downpayment on the house I bought. However, had I had more time, I would have gone for more. Truth be told? $10,500 was a lot for a 95SE with 72k on it.

Just be patient and take your time selling it.

SHUMAX
Old 03-06-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

The only way you can fight the depreciation is by keeping and (trying to) enjoying the car--if you don't sell you didn't lose anything. Was this car worth 22+ new? Not really, but at the time, 190 hp was decent. I know all the exact numbers on my friend's 99 323i from his emial back then.

If it means anything, the BMW COSTS MORE per mile in depreciation. However, its % is less because the car cost much more in the first place. His is a 99, not very loaded except for luxury package (no sport package etc.). Still worth 20k wholesale and he paid just over 30 for it new, about 44k miles.
Right but theres a difference, if a ferrari depreciated like no tomorow and i absolutely loved the car to death, then yes i would hang on to it forever. this car on the other hand, I definately do NOT like so I want to get rid of it as soon as I can. Its not fun to drive, and its not a stylin machine by any means.

But we don't have to compare BMWs here. A similar year 1997/1998 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord 4 or 6 cyl has much better resale then the 97/98 Maxima does. Go back to KBB and type in the same figures for one of those cars and you'll see what I mean. Infact you'll find a 98 Camry v6 has about the same depreciation as an 98 Infiniti I30. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

Doesn't anyone research this shat BEFORE they shell out thousands of dollars? Other than a house, it's one of the largest cash outlays one can make. In general, cars as investments are always a losing venture. Also, buying brand new is also a crappy way of buying a car. You could save at least a few grand by buying a car that's even 2 months old vs brand new. But for reference, a car typically loses 1/2 of it's value in 5 years. But ultimately, it's what the market in your area is like. Ie..who cares what kbb value is if demand in your particular area is high.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:55 AM

It is the curse of the minima. I have also seen 4th gens go for cheap on the market. However simular 3rd gens below 90k miles they ask for $5k+ even if its an 89 . Our 87 maxima stickered for $19k loaded. In 2000 it was only worth $1200-1500 with 220k miles so its not all bad. We lost over $17k in resale value in 13 years LOL.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Doesn't anyone research this shat BEFORE they shell out thousands of dollars? Other than a house, it's one of the largest cash outlays one can make. In general, cars as investments are always a losing venture. Also, buying brand new is also a crappy way of buying a car. You could save at least a few grand by buying a car that's even 2 months old vs brand new. But for reference, a car typically loses 1/2 of it's value in 5 years. But ultimately, it's what the market in your area is like. Ie..who cares what kbb value is if demand in your particular area is high.
Yes and I regret it very much. Seeing has its been the biggest purchase I have made yet in my life and I hate it. Had I known all the stuff about the maxima before I bought it that was researchable I would have NEVER bought this car. This has got to be the worst decision in my life I've ever made, putting aside the tranny that likes to eat bearings problem. I could have researched that there was limited aftermarket, low resale, bad crash test results, a non independent beam rear suspension and high insurance rates (relatively speaking. only $200 less then a LS1 z28 per year to insure). But I blindly fell into advertising and bought myself a granny family sedan.

But life is still young for me. I'll be driving many more vehicles in the future, and none will be a maxima or nissan ever again!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yes, you have no one to blame but yourself. But if you think that Z28 is going to be issue free, think again. Plus what is the crash rating on that Z28? How about THEIR resale value. Those things have one of the worst resale values on the market. And try to buy an used one that hasn't been trashed to hell is gonna be hard. The only thing about the Z28 that I like is the aftermarket stuff. That's about it. All the things issues you have about the Maxima, you are going to have 2x more w/ the Z28. I don't get your logic sometimes.

Yes and I regret it very much. Seeing has its been the biggest purchase I have made yet in my life and I hate it. Had I known all the stuff about the maxima before I bought it that was researchable I would have NEVER bought this car. This has got to be the worst decision in my life I've ever made, putting aside the tranny that likes to eat bearings problem. I could have researched that there was limited aftermarket, low resale, bad crash test results, a non independent beam rear suspension and high insurance rates (relatively speaking. only $200 less then a LS1 z28 per year to insure). But I blindly fell into advertising and bought myself a granny family sedan.

But life is still young for me. I'll be driving many more vehicles in the future, and none will be a maxima or nissan ever again!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:47 AM

Yes, you have no one to blame but yourself. But if you think that Z28 is going to be issue free, think again. Plus what is the crash rating on that Z28? How about THEIR resale value. Those things have one of the worst resale values on the market. And try to buy an used one that hasn't been trashed to hell is gonna be hard. The only thing about the Z28 that I like is the aftermarket stuff. That's about it. All the things issues you have about the Maxima, you are going to have 2x more w/ the Z28. I don't get your logic sometimes.

I never said that a z28 does not have issues. Infact I know that its one of the most unreliable cars on the road. however when a z28 breaks, I'm sure you realize how much cheaper it costs to rebuild/fix those things then a maxima does. Just look at how much people pay to get a manual transmission fixed for a maxima. $1400 on up! many of my friends have parents who drive z28s as daily drivers and one guy is up to 150,000 with modified gears and its still rolling,except he just bought a 99 corvette. For that price, you could have a stage 10 transmission, with new gear ratio's completely rebuilt on a z28. We can't even get new gear ratio's on our cars.

And also many of my friends have parents who drive z28s as daily drivers and one guy is up to 150,000 MI with modified gears and its still rolling and he still takes it to the drags consistently tuning mid 13s, except he just bought a 99 corvette.

In addition, the z28 is known as a fun/muscle performance car. It is built to go fast. The maxima on the otherhand, is definately not a stylin performance machine. Also, the true performance enthusiasts know the z28. When you go to a hot rod show, what will you see? A "historic" 1981 nissan maxima or a 1969 camaro?

Regarding maintanece maxima's, how many maxima's do you think are driven by soccer mom's who dont know piddly diddly about maintaining a car that gets its oil changed once every 10,000 miles and its other fluids never changed? I'd be willing to put money that if a person owns a z28, there is more chance that they know what they are doing with cars and take meticulous care of it.

Regarding crash tests, there was no test done at iihs.org, however, NHTSA's frontal crash tests gave for a 97 camaro 5/5 starts to driver and 5/5 stars to passenger. 3/5 front seat side impact and 4/5 rear seat side impact.

The 97 Maxima gets 4/5 driver and 3/5 passenger. 4/5 front seat side impact, 3/5 rear seat side impact. I'm sure you saw my posts before on the iihs.org's offset crash test of a maxima so I wont post it.

My other friend's dad just bought his daughter a 2002 Camaro SS 35th anniversery edition. I can guarentee you this one will holds its resale value just like the 94-96 Impala SS's do. And this one runs low 13s out of the box.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:51 AM

Thats what leasing is for

You guys really should look into leases especially for Nissans for most car brands leasing vs financing works out roughly even. In fact most companies over value the price of the price of the car for leasing so its really in your favor to lease.

Granted the car is not yours and you cannot change a lot of things either that or return to stock after the fact but it is cheaper in the long run.

Besides in those 2-4 years you can really push the car hard and then give it back to them
Old 03-06-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

Just take one look at Consumer Reports' reliabilty on the Camaro. That damn thing has more black circles than almost any car I've seen. It might be cheaper to fix on these things, but don't think it will be cheaper to maintain one in the long run. So what if a few of your friends have had good luck w/ them? I can say 80% of this board has never had an issue with their transmission also.

Yes, some Camaros might hold their value but are these the ones you are going to buy? Do these Camaros feature any better reliabilty than the crappy resale ones? Nope, not really.

If you want to say the maxima has bad resale and has some mechanical issues, fine. But to think replacing the maxima w/ a camaro is going to solve these issues is totally incorrect.

The fact that you bought a FWD family 4-door when you really wanted a RWD, domestic muscle car is your fault. I mean you already had a Camry.

As for historics, I could give a flying fart about it. It's kinda cool to see at shows, but I like to see all cool cars at shows. I respect the shows that feature tricked out old Datsuns more because it's harder to do. You can't just order from the Summit catalog menu and go to town.

I never said that a z28 does not have issues. Infact I know that its one of the most unreliable cars on the road. however when a z28 breaks, I'm sure you realize how much cheaper it costs to rebuild/fix those things then a maxima does. Just look at how much people pay to get a manual transmission fixed. $1400 on up! And also many of my friends have parents who drive z28s as daily drivers and one guy is up to 150,000 with modified gears and its still rolling,except he just bought a 99 corvette. For that price, you could have a stage 10 transmission, with new gear ratio's completely rebuilt on a z28. We can't even get new gear ratio's on our cars.

And also many of my friends have parents who drive z28s as daily drivers and one guy is up to 150,000 MI with modified gears and its still rolling and he still takes it to the drags consistently tuning mid 13s, except he just bought a 99 corvette.

In addition, the z28 is known as a fun/muscle performance car. It is built to go fast. The maxima on the otherhand, is definately not a stylin performance machine. Also, the true performance enthusiasts know the z28. When you go to a hot rod show, what will you see? A "historic" 1981 nissan maxima or a 1969 camaro?

Regarding maintanece maxima's, how many maxima's do you think are driven by soccer mom's who dont know piddly diddly about maintaining a car that gets its oil changed once every 10,000 miles and its other fluids never changed? I'd be willing to put money that if a person owns a z28, there is more chance that they know what they are doing with cars and take meticulous care of it.

My other friend's dad just bought his daughter a 2002 Camaro SS 35th anniversery edition. I can guarentee you this one will holds its resale value just like the 94-96 Impala SS's do. And this one runs low 13s out of the box.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:07 AM

Just take one look at Consumer Reports' reliabilty on the Camaro. That damn thing has more black circles than almost any car I've seen. It might be cheaper to fix on these things, but don't think it will be cheaper to maintain one in the long run. So what if a few of your friends have had good luck w/ them? I can say 80% of this board has never had an issue with their transmission also.
Right but you're missing the point that a camaro would be a FUN car to drive! Its hard to compare 300+ ft lbs torque and RWD with a v8 motor pushing it. It IS a high maintenence vehicle, I do not argue that. I can say my motorcycle is a high maintenence vehicle cause I gotta clean and lube the chain every 500 miles. Is it worth it? Yes.

If you want to say the maxima has bad resale and has some mechanical issues, fine. But to think replacing the maxima w/ a camaro is going to solve these issues is totally incorrect.
Jeff I think you missed my point here. I NEVER said I was going to replace the maxima with a camaro to solve the mechanical issues (except for the fun factor one). If you read my original reply to this thread, I merely pointed out that a z28 costs ONLY $200 more to insure (being one of the most expensive vehicles to insure for a young male driver) compared to the maxima (a family sedan). I was backing up the fact that this FWD japanese family sedan costs almost as much to insure then the most expensive domestic RWD v8 does to insure. That's all.

The fact that you bought a FWD family 4-door when you really wanted a RWD, domestic muscle car is your fault. I mean you already had a Camry.
Yes yes I realize that....so guess what my next car is NOT going to be.....
Old 03-06-2002, 11:30 AM

Adding 2 cents;

Going from multi-link beam to a live axle. Yeah, the beam does suck doesn't it. Better to have a truck suspension supporting your rear end.

You're too bitter Eric. Be young and enjoy life. Always try to see the good side. My Max has the bad bearings just like you. I still love the car, because it has been fun AND very relaible. And compared to most other 4 door sedans out there, it's just plain badass NEVER left me stranded in 125,000 miles. I have an AAA membership and I keep asking myself, "what's the point?"

Have a nice day!

DW
Old 03-06-2002, 02:29 PM

The Max just happens to be one of those cars to by "NEW/USED" like a demo-to a few years old. As far as Camry's goes I have seen them from the 97-98 years going for similiar and in alot of cases less than Maximas.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:08 PM

On thing might be also that after the 4th gens came the 5th. So that might drive the price down since people want the newer looking one. It might hurt even more after the 6th gens come out.

SuDZ
Old 03-06-2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Adding 2 cents;

Going from multi-link beam to a live axle. Yeah, the beam does suck doesn't it. Better to have a truck suspension supporting your rear end.

You're too bitter Eric. Be young and enjoy life. Always try to see the good side. My Max has the bad bearings just like you. I still love the car, because it has been fun AND very relaible. And compared to most other 4 door sedans out there, it's just plain badass NEVER left me stranded in 125,000 miles. I have an AAA membership and I keep asking myself, "what's the point?"

Have a nice day!

DW
The one thing the beam is good at is keeping the alignment settings even after 60k miles, that's for sure. So I guess it's doing a bit of the same while cornering. I do think it's at the expense of the ride quality, though. And it doesn't seem as if the max has as much negative camber--sheesh, you ever see the new WRX? Way big on negative camber on the rears. I gotta wonder if that's an AWD/RWD as opposed to a Volvo which is AWD/FWD because the WRX has limited-slip at the rear. Nissan will one day wake up to these things. Probably not on the Maxima but maybe the Altima. Right now they are driven by marketing analysts, who say the dude who wants fake leather will put up with being forced to get auto climate, Bose, moonroof, heated seats, and so on to get the list to what, 32,700? Then in 4 years the car will be 11.5K!!! As I said, if you don't trade it really it doesn't matter that much and you can slap on a $1100 18" wheel package and at least it's a cheap thrill.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:17 PM

anyone looking for a good deal on used cars - maxima 4th gen is realllly cheap. hondas have good resale value so their $ is high...but who likes hondas anyway
Old 03-07-2002, 09:15 AM
maximo1

Guys, I love my Max through thick and thin.. low resale value and all....I dont even think Ill sell my Max..I guess Im deeply in love with my four door baby...Shes such an angel

Old 03-07-2002, 09:22 AM

I don't know about you, but I bought my car to drive it, not use it as an investment vehicle.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
I don't know about you, but I bought my car to drive it, not use it as an investment vehicle.
We all did but I dont think I will every buy a brand new max simply because of the depreciation. Leasing might be a different issue........
Old 03-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: went to Kelley Blue Book and the news was not good

[
Old 03-07-2002, 11:34 AM

I love my 02 SE

I've got a 02 SE and it's a f#!@ng great car!
As far as depreciation goes, the max is one of better cars on the market. NO car is a good investment. I had a 96 GXE Max and was paying 270 a month for payments, now I drive an 02 for 329. Leasing is the way to go!
Old 03-07-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: I love my 02 SE

Originally posted by Rott42
I've got a 02 SE and it's a f#!@ng great car!
As far as depreciation goes, the max is one of better cars on the market. NO car is a good investment. I had a 96 GXE Max and was paying 270 a month for payments, now I drive an 02 for 329. Leasing is the way to go!
It's the oldest profession, I mean arragement around--landlord/tenant. It took 90's marketing to get consumers to bite. Phat car, no house, COOL! 4 year-old car, mediocre house, LAME. But that monthly payment makes a person po.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:25 PM

I am just happy to be driving 2 Max's no matter wha they are worth, anyway most peole think that they are worth/cost more than they are anyways.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

To me, I could care less about the resale value of the max, I'm not going to buy one new. I just picked up a loaded '96SE 5spd for $9,500. I have the same car some of you paid 25k for 5-6 years ago. Why waste money on new vehicles? The max is one of the most reliable cars in its class, don't hate cuz you had a Lemon.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by bidnizman
To me, I could care less about the resale value of the max, I'm not going to buy one new. I just picked up a loaded '96SE 5spd for $9,500. I have the same car some of you paid 25k for 5-6 years ago. Why waste money on new vehicles? The max is one of the most reliable cars in its class, don't hate cuz you had a Lemon.
Why in the world would you pay that much? KBB says your car is worth $7550 if it's in excellent shape, every option 5-spd, and has only 75k miles. According to what you say you went into the used market and gave yourself a $1950 instant walloping? Why?? It's like the whole reason to buy used is to avoid that depreciation hit that you get as soon as you drive it off the lot.

1996 Nissan Maxima SE Sedan 4D

Engine: V6 3.0 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: Front Wheel Drive
Mileage: 75,000
r

Equipment

Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Premium Sound
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Moon Roof
Rear Spoiler
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition:
Excellent

$7,550
Old 03-20-2002, 07:43 PM
My 4DSC

You want a REAL SHOCK?!

Go and see what a DEALERSHIP offers you as a trade...

KBB valued my 2000 Maxima w/ 23k mi @ $16,700 (trade-in)...
DEALERS WERE OFFERING ME ONLY $10-10.5k!!!

My car is MINT, less than 1.5 yrs old, and only has 23k mi...
and they're telling me i've already lost more than HALF the value of my car?!?! (sticker was $23,400)
I dont think so.

I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could get $15-16k easily as a private sale, maybe even more...(not that i'm even selling it anymore)

So here's my question:
Is it a pre-requisite that dealership appraisers smoke crack?!

Old 03-20-2002, 11:23 PM

Re: You want a REAL SHOCK?!

Originally posted by My 4DSC
Go and see what a DEALERSHIP offers you as a trade...

KBB valued my 2000 Maxima w/ 23k mi @ $16,700 (trade-in)...
DEALERS WERE OFFERING ME ONLY $10-10.5k!!!

My car is MINT, less than 1.5 yrs old, and only has 23k mi...
and they're telling me i've already lost more than HALF the value of my car?!?! (sticker was $23,400)
I dont think so.

I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could get $15-16k easily as a private sale, maybe even more...(not that i'm even selling it anymore)

So here's my question:
Is it a pre-requisite that dealership appraisers smoke crack?!
Lol I'll give you 11K
Old 03-21-2002, 12:07 AM

It's very true, Max's just don't hold on to their value as good as other cars. However I see it as a two-way deal. The Max is a horrible car to buy brand new, but an excellent buy on the used market, and people should know this, before they buy one.

Some people buy to use a car for like 3 years, and then replace it, and then some people buy to keep for a long time & so the depriciation isn't very for those who plan to buy a Max to use for a couple of years. Leasing would probably be more ideal.

For me, I was gonna get a vehicle that I intended to keep for a long time, & I knew the Max depriciated like crazy, so I took advantage of it. And what did I end up with? A 98 GLE with only 25,000 miles for $11,750 US in good condition.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:08 AM

As well as most of the reason mentioned before, the Max loses value because of Nissan.

1) Every Max has the same wonderful V-6. Because the VQ is everywhere, it's not appreciated as much. Imagine if the Max had the VQ as an option.

2) Nissan gives out killer rebates often on their new cars.

3) Newer updated models. When the 2K came out, 95-99 used values went quite a bit lower. Now with the 2K2 VQ 3.5, the 2K and 2K1s are rapidly becoming "old school"

To those 2K and 2K1 owners, I say welcome to my world

I'm sure when the new Max based on the new altima platform comes out, the 2K2 Max will join the ranks of the "older" un-appreciated Maximas.

Actually, maybe not. Something tells me that the 2K2 may wind up the "best" Maxima there was, because the new one may be too big.

DW