General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

AAAHH HELP!! I busted a nut!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 12:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AAAHH HELP!! I busted a nut!

I took off the automatic transmission oil pan today and accidentally broke the head off one of the small nuts that hold the pan. I didn't think i was torquing it too hard but it just came off and now its stuck with no piece of bolt shaft sticking out to vise-grip. Is there a way to extract the bolt without removing the entire pan again?? the bolt sticks out just so its at the same level as the pan. the pan is about 1.5~2mm thick so if i remove the entire pan 1.5~2mm of the bolt would stick out past the tranny surface. HOWEVER, I'm looking for other ways to go about this so i dont have to waste 4 quarts of perfectly good fluid and time. is there any tool that will allow me to hammer in some kind of slit or indentation so i can grip the bolt enough to where i can twist it out?
Old 03-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Go to your local hardware store and purchase an EZ out. You have to drill a small hole in the remaining stud, they the EZ out reverse threads in and extracts the broken stud. They work great.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: AAAHH HELP!! I busted a nut!

Originally posted by kchida
I took off the automatic transmission oil pan today and accidentally broke the head off one of the small nuts that hold the pan. I didn't think i was torquing it too hard but it just came off and now its stuck with no piece of bolt shaft sticking out to vise-grip. Is there a way to extract the bolt without removing the entire pan again?? the bolt sticks out just so its at the same level as the pan. the pan is about 1.5~2mm thick so if i remove the entire pan 1.5~2mm of the bolt would stick out past the tranny surface. HOWEVER, I'm looking for other ways to go about this so i dont have to waste 4 quarts of perfectly good fluid and time. is there any tool that will allow me to hammer in some kind of slit or indentation so i can grip the bolt enough to where i can twist it out?
i would recommend taking the pan off again. a reverse drill bit and a tap (EZout) MAY help you. but if the bolt is tight in there then you're better off taking the pan off and getting a better look at it.
you only have one chance to drill one hole in the center of the stud. if you mess up then time for a heli coil...(which is even more pain).
Old 03-11-2002, 07:19 AM
Producto Colombiano

Re: Re: AAAHH HELP!! I busted a nut!

Originally posted by DanNY

i would recommend taking the pan off again. a reverse drill bit and a tap (EZout) MAY help you. but if the bolt is tight in there then you're better off taking the pan off and getting a better look at it.
you only have one chance to drill one hole in the center of the stud. if you mess up then time for a heli coil...(which is even more pain).

NOT TO GET OF TOPIC, BUT BY READING THE TITLE OF THE THREAD I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE.