General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

This should be interesting... has anybody had their 5 speed max in a parade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 06:25 AM

This should be interesting... has anybody had their 5 speed max in a parade?

Since I'm an audio guru, one of my friends who's the coordinator of an Irish dancing team asked me to do the audio for a parade this Sunday in downtown Baltimore. They will be dancing in the street and need something sufficiently loud enough to be heard a good distance away. What I plan to do, is to tow one of my dad's open air trailers with PA speakers on the rear of it, powered by my bass amplifier (Soundstream Rubicon 1000.2) rewired.

Also, my car is green so that also helps. It should be pretty interesting, and I'll try to post pics.

My only concern is stalling and jerkiness. Has anybody had their car in a parade?
Old 03-15-2002, 06:28 AM
STFU n00b!

just stick that sum***** in 1st gear and don't touch the clutch unless you HAVE to. parades are slow enough, you can usually idle along in 1st gear and be just about right. if you have to slow down, just stand on the brake until you're almost stopped.. you can run the engine down to 250-300rpm before stepping on the clutch and it'll still catch up fine..
then again, that's without a trailer on it..
just make sure you don't have a loud a$$ exhaust on it that drowns out the sound... if you do, try to install your factory exhaust or something for the day... I'd much rather see one with a stock exhaust going down the road than one with a fart pipe trying to make real music...
Old 03-15-2002, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

somebody else here was in a parade a year or so but if I remember correctly...

you have to take pictures as this will be funny to see...
Old 03-15-2002, 08:41 AM

Gr8born was in a parade before...

Originally posted by theblue
somebody else here was in a parade a year or so but if I remember correctly...

you have to take pictures as this will be funny to see...
Peter was in the parade before.. but haven't seen him for a long long time

SY~~
sycefiro@yahoo.com
Old 03-15-2002, 09:36 AM

Happy St Patricks

Green beer?
Old 03-15-2002, 12:37 PM

i was in a parade but being auto it was easy i just let the car idle in Drive through the entire parade
Old 03-15-2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190
i was in a parade but being auto it was easy i just let the car idle in Drive through the entire parade
That is like comparing aplles and something orange though. Two different setups all together.

SuDZ
Old 03-15-2002, 11:45 PM

hehe, well in not a 5speed but, I almost did when I was in Highschool. In band we had to play for a cinco de meiyo(sp??) may 5th parade, and I was looking for a place to park and it so happends that I was behind a bunch of the lowriders that were entering the parade route. The parade staff girls that were letting the lowriders in, motioned me to come in but I got confused and just took off
Old 03-16-2002, 08:00 AM

Hey, I got a great parade tip for you. If you get bored...

You can always block those fat Aladdin Temple dudes riding the tiny minibikes the ability to pass you. Just don't let them around you, as if your life depended on it! Bump them into the crowd if you have to, just don't let them around! You'll be the *star attraction* in that parade in no time...
Old 03-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i know i can get my car almost to a stop and take it back up without any bucking at all, the 2k2's have some special synchros on 1st and 2nd. 5mph in second and then take it right back up no bucking or jerkiness. yours should be pretty good too, max's have good torque down low, you can start the car in 5th if your good. i can start mine in 6th, yes it's possible i did it ONCE, i won the bet too.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Sly

I've driven in a few parades, never in my Max, but in a few different cars. Parades are SLOW, even with an automatic at idle you have to ride the brakes the whole way. I once drove a convertible Mustang 5speed with a cute babe in the back. It was very challenging to keep it going at a walking pace smoothly, slipping the clutch alot. Good thing it was a rental. My point is, it can be done, but be prepared to give your clutch a workout, especially with a trailer.
Old 03-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pocketrocket
Happy St Patricks

Green beer?
All Coors Light from tap is green where I live They also serve BlaVodka and Orange Juice. . . It turns green when mixed.

BTW, good luck in the Parade. . . I would just be concerned about the jerkyness, if you want to kill the clutch, you don't necessarily have to use the accelerator, at least not in my car. If you get the clutch at just the right point it moves like an automatic, but I just may have a crappy clutch.