General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cheap OEM front brake pads (3rd and 4th gen) on this site..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 08:07 AM

cheap OEM front brake pads (3rd and 4th gen) on this site..

for $31.95 and includes free shipping.

https://www.nissan-accessories.com/index.asp

this is the cheapest i found when i was looking for mine..
Old 03-18-2002, 08:25 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: cheap OEM front brake pads (3rd and 4th gen) on this site..

Originally posted by Str8ridin
for $31.95 and includes free shipping.

https://www.nissan-accessories.com/index.asp

this is the cheapest i found when i was looking for mine..
Those are the Key Value pads. The suck, don't get any Key Value parts. Ever.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: cheap OEM front brake pads (3rd and 4th gen) on this site..

Originally posted by ejj5875

Those are the Key Value pads. The suck, don't get any Key Value parts. Ever.
really? how so and why?
Old 03-18-2002, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not as good as original
Old 03-18-2002, 08:30 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: cheap OEM front brake pads (3rd and 4th gen) on this site..

Originally posted by Str8ridin

really? how so and why?
The webpage says 'Key Value Brake Pads' on the right, unless I'm looking at the wrong one. I'm here.

Nissan Key Value products are very cheap, and are well know to be inferior. I'd rather pay the extra money for OEM quality (which these are not) or aftermarket.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: cheap OEM front brake pads (3rd and 4th gen) on this site..

Originally posted by ejj5875

The webpage says 'Key Value Brake Pads' on the right, unless I'm looking at the wrong one. I'm here.

Nissan Key Value products are very cheap, and are well know to be inferior. I'd rather pay the extra money for OEM quality (which these are not) or aftermarket.
mmmm, makes sense. cheap means cheap....i guess you get what you pay for. I hope they have a good return policy
Old 03-18-2002, 03:10 PM

Those key value pads work fine in our 97SE no squeaks or anything!
Old 03-18-2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
The difference in the two of you guys could all be in the type of driving you do. Are you driving more or less agressive than others will play a huge role in that.

SuDZ
Old 03-18-2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Yeah, but you could get the originals for $46-$49, so what do you save, $15? The parts folks will tell you up front that Key Value is not kind to your rotors like the organics, hence noise and wear to the rotors. People at work think I'm good on my original rotors for another 60k since my original pads were replaced and only 55% spent at 59k miles.

I don't know where all the misconceptions have come from, but as far as I can see Extreme gives 30% off, Conicelli 25% off, and Courtesy 15% off which is what you can get at any dealer if you ask. It's not rocket science, the 99Y pads for the Maxima are $65.99 list. Just divide the selling price by $65.99, and subract that from 1.00 to calculate the discount.

Like I said this weekend, I heard good things about Extreme and their 30% off list.

I'm gonna try these folks next time since it says free shipping for Nissan orders over $25
Old 03-18-2002, 06:07 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I really can't understand why people in general would 'skimp out' on brakes (and tires)... These are items are things you actually USE each and every time you drive. I can attest to the fact that the factory pads (I had them one for about 5K miles when my car was new)are lousy compared to good aftermarket pads (in my case, Stillen metal matrix a.k.a metalmasters?) What's the most you save? $30? over a 45-75k? That extra 10-20 feet difference may cause you to be sorry one of these stops...

Sorry... just ranting
Old 03-18-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
I really can't understand why people in general would 'skimp out' on brakes (and tires)... These are items are things you actually USE each and every time you drive. I can attest to the fact that the factory pads (I had them one for about 5K miles when my car was new)are lousy compared to good aftermarket pads (in my case, Stillen metal matrix a.k.a metalmasters?) What's the most you save? $30? over a 45-75k? That extra 10-20 feet difference may cause you to be sorry one of these stops...

Sorry... just ranting
I think it's been discussed quite alot. Any pads other than the OEM and you may get noise that you can't get rid of. Someone also said there's nothing worse than cruising up to some fine babes and having your brakes squeal. Like doing crunches with a medicine ball at the gym and farting

imho to many people the added expense of aftermarket rotors or toasting your stock ones with metal pads isn't worth it. I rate the stock pads as excellent, like I said they only wore 55% in 59k miles and the rotors are true as Uncle Sam too.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:10 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I think it's been discussed quite alot. Any pads other than the OEM and you may get noise that you can't get rid of. Someone also said there's nothing worse than cruising up to some fine babes and having your brakes squeal. Like doing crunches with a medicine ball at the gym and farting

imho to many people the added expense of aftermarket rotors or toasting your stock ones with metal pads isn't worth it. I rate the stock pads as excellent, like I said they only wore 55% in 59k miles and the rotors are true as Uncle Sam too.
I think noise is mainly caused by improper installation (leaving out shims, not using disc quiet goo) or debris caught between rotor/pad.

I never had consistant noisy pads... I've used a lot of different ones too (Stillen, Repco, Axxis, Carbon Metallic) on many different cars. Only my Wilwood Poly Matrix D gave me any extensive noise (about 2 weeks) and that even went away after break-in period.

Aside from the noise issue... pads and rotors are cheap (relatively to the use you get out of them) even IF they wear faster... I think resurfacing rotors due to warpage accounts for most of the rotor wear on even stock setups.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:10 AM

I thought bendix brake pads were OEM because thats what Parts america told my freind and when he took off his old nissan ones and compare they look identical but Bendix had the nissan logo shape but not NISSAN the word on it which the nissan ones did. Plus they are good pads no sounds
Old 03-19-2002, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I thought bendix brake pads were OEM because thats what Parts america told my freind and when he took off his old nissan ones and compare they look identical but Bendix had the nissan logo shape but not NISSAN the word on it which the nissan ones did. Plus they are good pads no sounds
I think the OEM's are made in USA and say Hitatchi on them.

For real enthusiasts I agree that aftermarket would probably be better, but the metal pads do "bite" more into the rotors. Of course if you go aftermarket rotors that's exactly what they're designed for. But imho the stock rotors are not designed for that and wouldn't hold up that well. They're about $62 each but if I don't need them I'd rather not spend it.

True, brakes are cheap and it only takes 10 minutes per wheel to replace pads only. But my point is if it takes 20 minutes and $46 and you're fronts are good for another 60k, do you wanna spend $65 + $124 for new rotors + 1 hour to get a nice metal setup, maybe.

I just went with the OEM pads because there were old posts where someone tried more than 1 kind of pad and recommended OEM for low noise and long wear.