General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RWD Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 06:36 AM

RWD Maxima

Hello. What Nissan/Infiniti with RWD is most similar to the new Maxima? Infiniti I35?

Which Skyline (or something very close to a Skyline) was sold in the US as an Infiniti?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:50 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Re: RWD Maxima

Originally posted by lyonsd
Hello. What Nissan/Infinity with RWD is most similar to the new Maxima? Infinity I35?

Which Skyline (or something very close to a Skyline) was sold in the US as an Infinity?

Thanks.
Maxima's cousin is Infiniti I35, also a front-wheel drive.
"Skyline" sold in US is Infiniti G35, rear-wheel drive.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:59 AM

Skyline? I dont think Nissan ever bought that car to the states in one form or the other. From what I understand they had problem translating it from a right to left hand drive car.

As for models this is the way I believe it breaks down

Q45 = totally unique
I35 = Maxima
G35 = Altima
G20 = Sentra
QX4 = Xterra
Old 03-19-2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Finality
Skyline? I dont think Nissan ever bought that car to the states in one form or the other. From what I understand they had problem translating it from a right to left hand drive car.

Q45 = totally unique
I35 = Maxima
G35 = Altima
G20 = Sentra
QX4 = Xterra
QX4 = Pathfinder
Old 03-19-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Yomie

QX4 = Pathfinder
Yep my bad.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:24 AM

answers

The only RWD car in the line up like the maxima would be the NEW G35

3.5 ltr, RWD 260HP out this march in the infinity dealers... Drives very Nice...

The g20 is no longer being made, the maxima and I35 are the same platform as well as the pathfinder and QX4.

the sentra is a stand alone model as of now as well as the Q45

We get the 350Z infinity gets the G35 Coupe in the Fall with a 6-speed...

hope this helps..
Old 03-19-2002, 09:30 AM

bluefish is correct (dealership folks always know stuff)

G35 has a different platform from the new Altima. Altima platform is FWD only, G35 platform is RWD only.

G20 and Sentra have different platforms. For a couple of years, Sentra offered the SR20 engine on their SE trim, so they shared the same powertrain only. Other than powertrain, no resemblance.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:30 AM

The 2003 Maxima is RWD
Old 03-19-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Infiniti imported the M30 in the late 80's/early 90's. It was RWD and used the VG30 motor. That is probably the closest to the G35 what we are seeing right now.

You could go back to the 1st gen maximas that were RWD, featured the L24 or L26 inline 6, had IRS etc.. That is probably the closest the USA ever got to a 2WD skyline we got here.

For AWD drive systems, the USA version AWD Stanza might have been the closest to the AWD systems here.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:49 PM

When we do get the skyline thoguh, I hope it wont be so watered down like most high performance imports do when they get to us. Like a lot of Type R's for example.

SuDZ
Old 03-19-2002, 01:00 PM

NO NO NO for the last time NO

Originally posted by MaXXX
The 2003 Maxima is RWD
NO

The 2003 maxima, which will be showing up in my dealership[ in June 2002 as a 2003 model will be the same 5th gen we know from 2002... no major changes to the car except for new colors and new special SE edition... the maxima will NOT be RWD... The 2004 maxima is another story... Shuuush... No info YET....
Old 03-19-2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Infiniti imported the M30 in the late 80's/early 90's. It was RWD and used the VG30 motor.
It was also a 2 door and available as a convertable.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Finality

Q45 = totally unique
I35 = Maxima
G35 = Altima
G20 = Sentra
QX4 = Xterra
Q45 = Cima (in Japan)
G35 = Skyline
Old 03-19-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: RWD Maxima

The Infinit J30 had four doors and RWD with a 210hp, don't remember if it was a VG or VE.

Originally posted by lyonsd
Hello. What Nissan/Infiniti with RWD is most similar to the new Maxima? Infiniti I35?

Which Skyline (or something very close to a Skyline) was sold in the US as an Infiniti?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:06 PM

I belive the Cefiro is a RWD...
Old 03-19-2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by maxium nrg
I belive the Cefiro is a RWD...
The cefiro and maxima share the same platform, therefore FWD.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by StrongIsleMax

The cefiro and maxima share the same platform, therefore FWD.
i got this from http://sr20det.nismo.org/nissanengines.htm

RB25-DE

Type: 2498cc EFI DOHC 24 valve 6cyl
Power: 134kW @ 6000rpm
Torque: 225Nm @ 5200rpm
Gearboxes: RWD 5-Speed and 4-Speed Auto
Source: 92-95 Cefiro and Skyline
Old 03-19-2002, 06:04 PM

Also I would like to ad that the 2004 or 2005 Max will be a rear wheel drive, because its gonna be even more powerful and the front wheel drive tranny won't be able to handle all that power, so therefore its gonna be converted to a rear wheel drive so it has a bigger tranny to handle all the power going to the wheel.

I think Nissan may throw the Q45 engine in there but tone it down a little to a 4.0
Old 03-19-2002, 06:42 PM

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so ridiculous. The 2004 Maxima will be a FWD!!! It will be made in Smyrna, TN off the same platform as the new Altima.

New Altima platform = FWD
New Maxima = New Altima platform

Please don't speculate when the facts are already out there.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket

This is so ridiculous. The 2004 Maxima will be a FWD!!! It will be made in Smyrna, TN off the same platform as the new Altima.

thank you!
Old 03-19-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by MaxRPM

thank you!
You're welcome

My colleague will be working on the new Maxima in a few months, so I do know a thing or two about new Nissan vehicles.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:13 PM

The 2004 Maxima will be a FWD!!! It will be made in Smyrna, TN off the same platform as the new Altima.

Can you show proof? (Not to sound like an a-hole, but I just want to see it). I haven't seen anyhting on it yet. Thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Very sound, Mike

I think what "platform" means is the FMS design of the engine placement.

Additionally, the Altima platform, with minor modifications at the sub-level, can and will accomodate a RWD design.

In fact the Altima platform is also based in turn from the R34 Skyline platform which was rebuilt from the ground up to create the what you now know as the Infinity G35 (RWD).

Old 03-19-2002, 07:59 PM

...im still waiting... hehe... dmanit... how much longer is 2004?
Old 03-19-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Can you show proof? (Not to sound like an a-hole, but I just want to see it). I haven't seen anyhting on it yet. Thanks
I'll see what I can dig up, 'k?
Old 03-19-2002, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

from www.nissannews.com

Nissan Adds Maxima Production to Smyrna

Nissan states Maxima will share Altima platform (but doesn't say FWD/RWD/AWD).

Doesn't say whether they will import Japanese built Maxima's. But, production estimated to be 75,000, so my bet is both Japan + US will be sold. I just wonder if Jan 2003 production will be 5th gen's model year 2k3 or 6th gen's model year 2k4 (or will it be 2003.5).

Engines to be made the Decherd plant (Q: will they make V-8's or VQ's or what?) Nissan's also going to build full size truck & SUV in new Canton, Miss plant.

Lot's of tidbits, if you read between the lines (look at other news release's too.)
Old 03-19-2002, 08:50 PM

No Crystal Ball, but...

Excerpt from FreshAlloy.com:

"Now that the much anticipated 2002 Altima is virtually ready to be sold at dealers, we wonder what Nissan has in store for us with the redesign of the new 2004 Maxima. Sources have been tight-lipped but we managed to pry some information from our contacts. Expect an overhaul of the Maxima platform - meaning a radical departure from the current Maxima's front wheel drive layout. All wheel drive anyone? Of course expect the now ubiquitous 3.5 liter VQ V-6 engine pushing some class leading horsepower onto the road. Expect a very sporty design both inside and outside. Other than that we're working on getting some more data on Nissan's new sedan flag ship. Stay tuned!"

(more discussion: <http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/F...ML/000102.html> )

Of course at this point, not even the CEO of Nissan can honestly predict what's in store for 2004 (though he has an inside advantage). After all, there are investor agendas, market trends and other issues constantly changing the field of the automotive industry, and for that matter other industries. For now, it seems that Nissan
wants to do more with the Nissan and Infiniti brands and their sub-brands (Maxima, I30, etc), but only if money lets them. It seems that Nissan wants to make Maxima AWD and I30 RWD to go after the family-sport and family-luxury markets respectfully, however if and when this happens is anyone's guess.

Enjoy your Maxima how it is now, and if these changes do occur, you can bet your y-pipe they won't be cheap. After all, how can you have 3 exactly same cars on the same platform, and 2 of them within the same brand? (Altima, Maxima, I30). Not even DaimlerChrysler can get away with the Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager triplets anymore...
Old 03-19-2002, 09:31 PM

Re: No Crystal Ball, but...

Originally posted by MaXXX
Excerpt from FreshAlloy.com:

"Now that the much anticipated 2002 Altima is virtually ready to be sold at dealers, we wonder what Nissan has in store for us with the redesign of the new 2004 Maxima. Sources have been tight-lipped but we managed to pry some information from our contacts. Expect an overhaul of the Maxima platform - meaning a radical departure from the current Maxima's front wheel drive layout. All wheel drive anyone? Of course expect the now ubiquitous 3.5 liter VQ V-6 engine pushing some class leading horsepower onto the road. Expect a very sporty design both inside and outside. Other than that we're working on getting some more data on Nissan's new sedan flag ship. Stay tuned!"

(more discussion: <http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/F...ML/000102.html> )

Of course at this point, not even the CEO of Nissan can honestly predict what's in store for 2004 (though he has an inside advantage). After all, there are investor agendas, market trends and other issues constantly changing the field of the automotive industry, and for that matter other industries. For now, it seems that Nissan
wants to do more with the Nissan and Infiniti brands and their sub-brands (Maxima, I30, etc), but only if money lets them. It seems that Nissan wants to make Maxima AWD and I30 RWD to go after the family-sport and family-luxury markets respectfully, however if and when this happens is anyone's guess.

Enjoy your Maxima how it is now, and if these changes do occur, you can bet your y-pipe they won't be cheap. After all, how can you have 3 exactly same cars on the same platform, and 2 of them within the same brand? (Altima, Maxima, I30). Not even DaimlerChrysler can get away with the Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager triplets anymore...
This the same article I read,
But common sense would tell you that if Nissan beefs up the max anymore say 300hp it would need a bigger tranny which would be RWD or AWD
because that FWD tranny is too small and would not hold up for long.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:38 AM

I Love You Guys

Your the best ...Keep talking about How YOU the Maxima owners want the 2004 car to be and Nissan Will Listen.. Remember they Read every thread on this board....

Go Nissan

2004 Maxima FMS 4.5 Lt RWD 345 bph, 295 TQ...or

maby AWD 3.5 lt 290 bph....

just kidding with you all....

i can not state what the 2004 will be....( even if i new something) remember what happened the last time...

but you can keep dreaming that nissan will ever take any market share away from the Q45...NOT going to happen...

Keep chating, whishing, and debating...NISSAN IS LISTENING
Old 03-20-2002, 05:03 AM

A rwd or awd Maxima would be nice...

If it were awd, it might be a nice competitor for the new Jaguar X-Type and the BMW 330xi.
However, Nissan needs to keep the weight down if they go that route. We don't want another 3500lb car like the R34 Skyline GT-R. Sure it was powerful and lightning quick, but imagine how fast it would have been if it weighed around 200lbs less!
Old 03-20-2002, 06:30 AM
Very sound, Mike

Or better yet, sub 2k lbs!

As for AWD, sure hope they come up with some sort of variable AWD system so that high speed runs won't be bogged down by the AWD system. (e.g. top end power)
Old 03-20-2002, 05:49 PM

Re: I Love You Guys

Originally posted by bluefish
NISSAN IS LISTENING
I'm listening

The 3.5VQ engine is currently being made in Japan, but Decherd will be expanded to also include the 3.5 VQ engine.

Considering that Canton-produced vehicles (full size truck and SUV) will be using the 4.5 V8, Decherd will also manufacture the engines locally.

I must say, an engine plant looks pretty amazing
Old 03-28-2002, 08:32 AM

Re: A rwd or awd Maxima would be nice...

Originally posted by Black VQ
We don't want another 3500lb car like the R34 Skyline GT-R. Sure it was powerful and lightning quick, but imagine how fast it would have been if it weighed around 200lbs less!
R32...
Old 03-28-2002, 10:30 AM

Re: Re: A rwd or awd Maxima would be nice...

Originally posted by Skyline

R32...
The R32 was nice, but it didn't have as sophisticated of a drivetrain as the R33 and R34. Most of the awd control parts were still mechanical, not electronic. That's the primary reason the newer ones weighed more. There were more doohickeys built into the R33 and R34s awd systems to make anyone look like a pro when driving them. Nissan just 'fixed' the weight issue with more power. What I'm saying is imagine something as sophisticated and powerful as the R34, but with less weight.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: A rwd or awd Maxima would be nice...

The R32 was nice, but it didn't have as sophisticated of a drivetrain as the R33 and R34. Most of the awd control parts were still mechanical, not electronic.
True, vs. R34 but R33 wasn't that much different.
That's the primary reason the newer ones weighed more. There were more doohickeys built into the R33 and R34s awd systems to make anyone look like a pro when driving them.
That's one of the reasons lot of people don't like driving R34's. Most of people I've talked to still prefer the feel of R32 over R33/R34.
Nissan just 'fixed' the weight issue with more power. What I'm saying is imagine something as sophisticated and powerful as the R34, but with less weight.
What I've heard, stock R32 dynoes at 320hp and R34 is about 10-20hp more. Official hp for both is 276, FWIW, and the engine really hasn't changed that much over the years. R32 was years ahead of its time, and competitors, when released in '89 and it still holds its own, both on power (basically same engine as R34) and handling. Over the years competition catched up on R33 and R34, one of the reasons why they aren't as legendary as R32's.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:06 AM

Uh-oh, bad news...

I just went to Freshalloy after posting, and I just realized the rwd rumors could be true. Unfortunately, the execution could use some work. Check out the Infiniti M45 debut at the home page. Sorry I can't get a link for it.