General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Meguire's Scratch X

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 06:18 PM

Meguire's Scratch X

I have a few light scratches by my fender that are above the clear-coat and was wondering if anyone had experience with this product. I have tried cleaner wax and the clay bar on separate occasions but none were able to do the job.

-Chris
Old 03-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Meguire's Scratch X

I have used this product many times. From my personal experience as well as others, it tends to only hide a scratch for a day or two. After a little weathering it will go straight back to how it was. If the cleaner-wax and wax-bar don't work for you, there isn't much you can do. You can apply Scratch-X on a regular basis and it will keep you scratch hidden for the most part (unless it rains), but I don't think that's quite the same as filling the scratch. If you take it to a body shop they can wetsand it out for you, but it is risky and expensive. Good luck with whatever you do, let us know if it works.
-Cyrus
Old 03-25-2002, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: Meguire's Scratch X

Originally posted by Vyrus
I have used this product many times. From my personal experience as well as others, it tends to only hide a scratch for a day or two. After a little weathering it will go straight back to how it was. If the cleaner-wax and wax-bar don't work for you, there isn't much you can do. You can apply Scratch-X on a regular basis and it will keep you scratch hidden for the most part (unless it rains), but I don't think that's quite the same as filling the scratch. If you take it to a body shop they can wetsand it out for you, but it is risky and expensive. Good luck with whatever you do, let us know if it works.
-Cyrus
Couldn't you apply scratch X and then put a coat of wax on top of it? Would that keep it protected longer?
Old 03-25-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Meguire's Scratch X

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

Couldn't you apply scratch X and then put a coat of wax on top of it? Would that keep it protected longer?
No that's what's on my car right now and you can still see the scratches.
-Cyrus
Old 03-26-2002, 05:43 AM

Re: Re: Meguire's Scratch X

Originally posted by Vyrus
-Cyrus
I was afraid that this was not going to do the trick, I just bought 3M rubbing compound that comes in a little bottle, I know it thins out the paint but I really don't think that these very light scratches are worth taking a trip to my body shop guy, worst case scenario is I will probably have to. Vyrus I remember reading that you used to work in a body shop so I take it you know alot about this sort of thing, will hand applied rubbing compound get rid of my light scatches?
Old 03-26-2002, 05:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Meguire's Scratch X

Originally posted by platinumplus
Vyrus I remember reading that you used to work in a body shop so I take it you know alot about this sort of thing, will hand applied rubbing compound get rid of my light scatches?
Yeah I used to work for a detailer. The rubbing compound will not cure the scratches, much like Scratch-X. It may work for a while, although I'm even doubtful about that, but it will not stay. And like you said yourself it will thin the paint. If it destroys your clearcoat you will be much more upset. As always, make sure you test the product in an inconspicuous spot, preferably somewhere underneath your car.
-Cyrus