General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ACT Street Clutch ---Expected Life

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 04:19 AM
RKS

ACT Street Clutch ---Expected Life

How many miles can I expect out of an ACT clutch under:
1. Normal driving
2. Spirited driving
3. Spirited nitrous driving
Old 03-28-2002, 05:47 AM
Administrator

From what i know.. Phil has had his for a while with Boost and NOS.. and its ok
Old 03-28-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: ACT Street Clutch ---Expected Life

Originally posted by RKS
How many miles can I expect out of an ACT clutch under:
1. Normal driving
2. Spirited driving
3. Spirited nitrous driving
That depends on the driver somewhat, doesn't it? If you drag race a lot and feather the clutch (ride it) or leave your foot on the clutch at red lights, obviously you will kill it faster.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:48 AM

under normal light driving....it could last as long as you have your car....

I've had my ACT clutch for almost a year...and it still grabs like day one, even with Nitrous use.

I drive hard all the time.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: ACT Street Clutch ---Expected Life

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

That depends on the driver somewhat, doesn't it? If you drag race a lot and feather the clutch (ride it) or leave your foot on the clutch at red lights, obviously you will kill it faster.
I didn't think that leaving your foot on the clutch at red lights wasn't damaging because the pressure plate and the disc are spinning free of each other therefore not causing wear. I may be wrong so please correct me if I am not.

Adam
Old 03-28-2002, 11:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: ACT Street Clutch ---Expected Life

I'm not sure if any damage occurs to the pressure plate by leaving your foot down on the clutch pedal, but prolonged periods of keeping your foot on the clutch will wear out the "throw-out bearing" or "release bearing". If this part is worn out it will need to be replaced and that consists of removing the tranny which is big $$$ anyway. Symptoms of a worn out release/throw out bearing: squeaky clutch pedal, and a grinding/crunching feel in the clutch pedal. The grinding/crunching feel would be felt just pushing in and out of the clutch pedal whether your trying to engage a gear or not. I've experienced it and the squeaking is audible enough to be heard outside of the car. Nasty sound!

Just wanted to share some manual tranny knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by The_Bomb

I didn't think that leaving your foot on the clutch at red lights wasn't damaging because the pressure plate and the disc are spinning free of each other therefore not causing wear. I may be wrong so please correct me if I am not.

Adam
Old 03-28-2002, 11:22 AM

Read the owner's manual

It says not to press the clutch down for prolonged periods i.e stop light. There are some interesting things in the manual. Apparently Canadian models have a full size spare, LSD models have a 70 series, and the non LSD has a 90 series. All this from the 97 Nissan manual.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ACT Street Clutch ---Expected Life

My throw out bearing went bad after 9 months and 13,000 miles. I had to replace my trani last July and put in the JWT stage one clutch and Mueller flywheel. Everything still looked good a month ago when I put in the Quaife. When the bearing went out, it simply started getting very loud whenever I'd depress the clutch. No crunching or sqeaking, more of a whirring sound. I don't leave my foot on the pedal when I drive, and I go into neutral at lights. No reason it went, it just went ...